cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My current lineup - questions, thoughts, etc...?

tag
RockySC
Established Member

My current lineup - questions, thoughts, etc...?

Alright, I think I have my entire credit card setup finalized. If I'm missing something just let me know...

• AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - 3% on groceries
  • Chase Freedom & Discover It - I'll flip these back and forth on limited transactions depending on the 5% back categories at any given time (right now it's gas and movie theaters on the CF and restaurants on the It)
  • Fidelity AMEX - 2% on everything else
  • Capital One Quicksilver - 1.5% for any vendors that do not accept the Fidelity AMEX card

I also applied for the US Bank Cash+ card over the phone (normally you must do it at a branch in NY only) and I was approved for the basic Cash card instead. Once I progress a bit more I'll call to have them upgrade me to the Cash+. Once that happens I'll use that one a lot since you get to pick your categories instead of them rotating like CF and It.

Also, I do NOT have a Fidelity account but I was still approved for that card. I assume I need to set up a Fidelity Cash Management account, at the very least, before I can earn any rewards on that card. Is that correct?

If there is anything missing or anything I could do or go after to improve things please let me know. I'm going to also assume this lineup is pretty typical of everyone however.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: My current lineup - questions, thoughts, etc...?

@RockySC wrote:
Alright, I think I have my entire credit card setup finalized. If I'm missing something just let me know...

• Chase Freedom & Discover It - I'll flip these back and forth on limited transactions depending on the 5% back categories at any given time (right now it's gas and movie theaters on the CF and restaurants on the It)
  • Capital One Quicksilver - 1.5% for any vendors that do not accept the Fidelity AMEX card

I also applied for the US Bank Cash+ card over the phone (normally you must do it at a branch in NY only) and I was approved for the basic Cash card instead. Once I progress a bit more I'll call to have them upgrade me to the Cash+. Once that happens I'll use that one a lot since you get to pick your categories instead of them rotating like CF and It.

Also, I do NOT have a Fidelity account but I was still approved for that card. I assume I need to set up a Fidelity Cash Management account, at the very least, before I can earn any rewards on that card. Is that correct?

If there is anything missing or anything I could do or go after to improve things please let me know. I'm going to also assume this lineup is pretty typical of everyone however.

Adding the Sallie Mae rewards card (not upromise) might be a good improvement. You might want to wait a few months if you just now applied for all those cards.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

What would you do in an emergency, for example if you needed a short-term loan?

Message 3 of 17
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Do you have a card with no rewards program low APR for cash and purchases and no fees for cash or balance transfers???? If your answer is no then thats the one you're missing. 

Message 4 of 17
RockySC
Established Member

@mnavas wrote:

Do you have a card with no rewards program low APR for cash and purchases and no fees for cash or balance transfers???? If your answer is no then thats the one you're missing. 

What would you recommend?

Message 5 of 17
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

@mnavas wrote:

Try a local CU. Most are known for so called "emergency" cards. My CU can go as low as 8.95% as long as your score is over 750. Also most CU give out higher credit lines. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

CU cards in general, for example DCU.

Message 7 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

You can earn rewards but at a lower rate (maybe just 1%).  If you transfer to a Fidelity account you get 2%, other accounts less.  

Message 8 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

Apart from the emergency card other have mentioned, you also don't have anything for travel, such as a CSP, or an Amex MR/SPG card.  So this is cashback profile, rather than typical of everyone!

Message 9 of 17
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@RockySC wrote:

@mnavas wrote:

Try a local CU. Most are known for so called "emergency" cards. My CU can go as low as 8.95% as long as your score is over 750. Also most CU give out higher credit lines. 

+1

That's basically what my CU card is for - no perks/bonuses, but an 8.99% interest rate & good CL for emergencies.  I do place 1 charge on it per month & PIF just to show activity & build some history with this CU (for future consumer loan needs). 

EDIT: I also agree with the suggestion on a potential travel rewards card, if you do any type of traveling whatsoever.  As mentioned, look into the Chase CSP (which would be a great combo with your Freedom in maximizing rewards/points), any of the AmEx charge cards and/or AmEx SPG.  Perhaps an airline or hotel card, if there is a particular brand you use/frequent on a regular basis.  There is also the cash-back type travel reward cards like the Barclay Arrival or Cap1 Venture. 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.