seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: My debit card gets no more love

@CS800 wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:
i spend about 300-400 a month on gass cant wait for that bcp

You must drive a lot

LOL

I work from home 4 days/week, I might fill up once a month.  Needless to say, gas rewards won't be a deciding factor for me when choosing a rewards card. Smiley Happy

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 11 of 87
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

since i have my AMEX, chase, and other CC's i dont use my debit card unless i need cash money.. any one else have this issue?

Yes, same here, only use my debit card at my favorite grocery store, they don't take credit, only checks and cash, and I haven't written a check in about 5 years. If I need an acutal check I just ask my bank for a bank check, they are free or use eletronic funds transfers. 
Everything else is on a credit card  which I pay weekly and get rewards

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 12 of 87
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

school is like 60 miles a day twice a week work is 20 miles 5x a week. then going to gfs work, mall, stores, i have a 2004 v6 4x4 ford escape
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 13 of 87
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Not sure where all of the negativity comes from towards debit cards. I use mine everyday and prefer to use it over credit cards. For me, credit cards are for emergencies or very large purchases that I want to float to pay off. Everyone goes on and on about "rewards" this and "rewards" that. Yes, its always nice to get something for nothing or something for doing nothing; but credit cards and these tinky rewards programs aren't the end all be all to me. Cash is king and always will be. My debit card will always have a place in my wallet.
Message 14 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep my USAA debit card with me just for the rare occasions that I have to get cash from ATMs (yay for refunding ATM fees) or if some place doesn't take credit cards (rare, but there's some).  But I never, ever really use it for anything. Why would I want to expose MY money to potential fraud and excessive authorizations when I can let the credit card companies worry about it?

Message 15 of 87
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would I want to expose MY money to potential fraud and excessive authorizations when I can let the credit card companies worry about it?

+1

This sentence in a nut shell is the reason why one should use charge/credit cards over debit cards.  Once someone has access to your personal funds, it's a pain in the you know what to get everything straight again.  I use my rewards cards to get rewards on top of keeping my personal bank accounts safe.  Identity Theft and electronic funds theft are the new wave of criminal activity now and in the future.  Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 16 of 87
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would I want to expose MY money to potential fraud and excessive authorizations when I can let the credit card companies worry about it?

+1

This sentence in a nut shell is the reason why one should use charge/credit cards over debit cards.  Once someone has access to your personal funds, it's a pain in the you know what to get everything straight again.  I use my rewards cards to get rewards on top of keeping my personal bank accounts safe.  Identity Theft and electronic funds theft are the new wave of criminal activity now and in the future.  Smiley Sad

+ another 1

If my debit card is compromised, MY money is stolen.

If my CC card is compromised, it's the bank's money that's stolen.

I'm guessing they'll work a lot harder to recover THEIR money than mine.  Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 87
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

since i have my AMEX, chase, and other CC's i dont use my debit card unless i need cash money.. any one else have this issue?

Yes but that's how you should do it. Don't use your debit card because if a thief steals your account info, they can drain your bank account. Use your credit cards instead.

I don't use mine. I put my card away. I use credit cards, my debit card use to give me very bad rewards points $3 for one point so no point is using at all. BAD!! I use my BOfA Cash back and Cap One cash back.

Message 18 of 87
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm guessing they'll work a lot harder to recover THEIR money than mine.  Smiley Very Happy

Ha-Ha!  Isn't this the truth! 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 19 of 87
roughdraff
Valued Member

There's nothing wrong with using ur own money via debit card, u can choose to pay with the now or later, choice! now is debit and later is credit, both is a blessing. And who care's about a thief, stealing, just keep two debit cards, the one u use just makesure it has a low daily spending limit and no linked overdraft, believe me the bank will stop it then.I prefer the debit card over the debt card, yes even if your rich and pay off ur balance every month debt is debt and people who filed for bankruptcy use to pay off their balances, too!

Message 20 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.