Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My debit card gets no more love

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: My debit card gets no more love

@afbar1114 wrote:

since i have my AMEX, chase, and other CC's i dont use my debit card unless i need cash money.. any one else have this issue?

Yup!!!

I pretty much use my debit card to pay my CC's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 71 of 87
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

once chase tookk away the rewards for debit i have been trying to get a good replacement for it. my zync is good for it i think it now. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 72 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I am officially turning my NFCU Cash Rewards card into my everyday card.  Mo more debit for me except to get cash if necessary.  I will run everything through NFCU and pay in full each month, in hopes that they will provide me with a nice CLI at some point.

Thanks myfico fam!

Message 73 of 87
Open123
Super Contributor

With Dodd Frank and the inevitable erosion in debit card protection and benefits from the Banks, I can't see any reason to use a debit card, aside from being unable to qualify for a credit card.

Even then, a good prepaid is the way to go.  In this day and age, I can't see any reason to risk a debit card, bank account, or any kind of deposit account information floating out there.

Message 74 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually my debit card got some love last week. I had originally just planned to use my debit card only for ATM withdrawls but there are some places where you need to use it for a purchase. When I applied for my passport last week the passport processing fee could only be paid by debit or check. They wouldn't take my credit card. Makes sense I  guess since the government doesnt want to pay higher interchange fees, but the vast majority of the time I am only paying cash or credit.

Message 75 of 87
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I  guess since the government doesnt want to pay higher interchange fees, but the vast majority of the time I am only paying cash or credit.

I'm just waiting for my gov't issued Federal Debit/Health-Insurance card.

Message 76 of 87
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

I only use my debit card to put money into my account since I'm never not at work during normal business hours. I used to get owned with NSF fees because I would forget about my recurring charges. Now I don't have that problem (though it also helps that my income has increased exponentially)
Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 77 of 87
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I can see why some people prefer to use debit cards, but I prefer to use credit when I can and PIF.

To chime in with all the other responses:

- In the case of fraud, you still have your cash in the bank

- Rewards/benefits (I get back more than $100 a year from doing what I'd do anyway)

- Some cards have extended warranty (maybe that falls under rewards)

This is why I believe using credit is more beneficial.  HOWEVER, using credit takes discipline, and if you have difficulty keeping track of how much you spend on a card and do not PIF every month, then it might be a better idea to pay in cash or w/debit.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 78 of 87
bribro
Valued Contributor

Assuming you have good rewards credit cards, is there ANY logical reason to use a debit card? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Personally, I put everything that I can on my credit cards. I keep my J.P. Morgan debit card with me for when I need cash (having unlimited ATM fee rebates is a huge plus, especially in Vegas where the ATM fees are ridiculous), and a Citigold debit card for a backup and line jumping when I have to go into a Citibank branch.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 79 of 87
lithium78
Established Contributor

Ever since I got educated about credit cards, I have only used my debit card for cash at ATMs.  Debit cards are especially dangerous to use for online transactions.  Banks handle credit card fraud immediately and handle debit card fraud over the course of possibly months.  They are much more motivated to recover the money lost when it's their money instead of your own.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 80 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.