Did you mean: 

My experience "applying for AMEX CENTURION" card

tag
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Re: My experience "applying for AMEX CENTURION" card

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

And if they said, well looks like we'd be happy to send you a Centurion; what then? Temptation, prestige would make the AF/initiation fee some how doable?

^^^

I'd tell them to send it to me so I can take a look at the card and feel it but won't activate it.

LOL would you trash it or keep it???? Robot Very Happy

Message 11 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

And if they said, well looks like we'd be happy to send you a Centurion; what then? Temptation, prestige would make the AF/initiation fee some how doable?

^^^

I'd tell them to send it to me so I can take a look at the card and feel it but won't activate it.

Shaking my head! 

Message 12 of 23
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

^^^

Hmm....in that case, i'll do the same thing...imma call and specifically ask them to send me a free welcome kit and let me get a "feel" to what it is like and sell it on ebay for about $500 or so...

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 13 of 23
dilettante
Established Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

^^^

Sounds like a fun experiment but am I wrong in assuming that whether it's activated or not, the AF and initiation fees are still charged to that account?

If your experiment results in a favorable outcome, let us know what it feels like. I have seen them but not felt themSmiley Happy

Message 14 of 23
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

^^^

Sounds like a fun experiment but am I wrong in assuming that whether it's activated or not, the AF and initiation fees are still charged to that account?

If your experiment results in a favorable outcome, let us know what it feels like. I have seen them but not felt themSmiley Happy

It's a heavy card for sure, I see them quite often where I run my business.  However, if you've felt the Ritz & the other heavier cards, the Centurion is no different...it does have the nice matte finish. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 15 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

^^^

+1.

If you are approved, regardless of whether you activate the card, the tradeline will still report onto your CRs and you will still be billed the initiation and annual fee. You can try crying them a river to have them waive it, but you probably will floor your internal score as a result.

I've seen several, and they're nice. Like yue said, the card's design is somewhat similar to the Ritz and Palladium cards. It's much harder to get invited for the personal Centurion in the US, but it's much easier to be invited approved for the business version, especially since it's much easier for businesses to rack up lots of spending over the course of a year.

If you have residency and income in other continents, you can also try your luck with Amex overseas. Getting the Centurion (both personal and business versions) in the Middle East and Asia are much easier compared to the U.S..

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 23
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

In the Middle East they began offering the Centurion to nearly every Platinum member with excellent credit history before the credit crunch, in June 2008.

During the credit crunch, they began reducing limits on the card.

One didnt have to be a millionaire to get this card. It was by invitation only. There is no initial joining fee but an AF of $3k.

It's easier to get Amex cards in the Middle East, but, the only negative factor is there is no online app sytem for any cc's. Since they are all reviewed manually, they require several documents.
CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 17 of 23
mrlh1980
Contributor

This has to be funny. I have a American Express Premier Gold card (personal card) and use between 24,000$ - 45,000$ a month. I'm on track to spending 300,000$ this year. Hopefully they invite me to the "Centurion" card so I can say NO. Last year I only spent 120,000$ as I was using other cards.

"Fools trade their SOULS for gold in an attempt to take control of things they can't control."
Message 18 of 23
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Lol @ mrlh. I wonder what the actual acceptance rate for this card is?
Message 19 of 23
mrlh1980
Contributor

@B335is wrote:
@Anonymous @ mrlh. I wonder what the actual acceptance rate for this card is?

Haha I wouldn't know. But I do know with my spending habits I will get there in no time. Oh yeah I make between 8,000.00$ - 10,000.00$ payments every Sunday's. They get a kick out of it. But the killer is getting a notice from Bank of America around 6:00am every Monday on a withdraw has been made on my account. American Express doesn't wait long to get the money. Haha

"Fools trade their SOULS for gold in an attempt to take control of things they can't control."
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.