cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My final Cap One account combination. Took lesser of two evils.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My final Cap One account combination. Took lesser of two evils.

Today I went in to combine my last 2 cards. I went from happy to not as happy, given the options. My oldest account from 2012, which had been PCd to a QS Visa signature had a $20.75k CL. I really was planning on keeping that card and fold my Venture into it, which has a 20k CL. One glaring problem for me, however; The QS has a 21.15 interest rate which increases to 25.15 in June 2016. Yikes! The Venture has a 21.15 interest rate which is going to stay the same. I ended up folding my QS into the Venture and now have over a $40k limit.

I called Cap One and spoke to a CSR who informed me that the interest rate on the QS was carried over from when the Journey was opened and that there was nothing that could be done about it. Good news is, I have an offer to PC the Venture back to a QS with no AF and will then have a 21.15 rate. Hmmmmmm $59 AF or 4pts higher interest rate? Therein lies the reason for my choice. I guess my previous credit wants to hold me to the subprime rates. I don't know what I can ever do about that with Cap One, unless I apply for a new product down the road when my scores get me lower rates.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My final Cap One account combination. Took lesser of two evils.

If you PIF then it should be no issue, right?  Then again, you can always check to see if they have any temporary rate reduction offers that could help if you plan on carrying a balance for a limited period.  It's possible you could be offered some decent BT offers. 

As long as your BK remains on your profile, you may not see much improvement in the APR arena - your scores might help, but until your BK is gone it's doubftul you'll see their lowest rate anytime soon.

I suppose you should be glad you were able to combine into a large CL?  Keep in mind, this option was not available for a long, long time.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

If you PIF then it should be no issue, right?  Then again, you can always check to see if they have any temporary rate reduction offers that could help if you plan on carrying a balance for a limited period.  It's possible you could be offered some decent BT offers. 

As long as your BK remains on your profile, you may not see much improvement in the APR arena - your scores might help, but until your BK is gone it's doubftul you'll see their lowest rate anytime soon.

I suppose you should be glad you were able to combine into a large CL?  Keep in mind, this option was not available for a long, long time.

You make sense. I do have a BT offer for 0% / 18mos / 2% fee, so that's good. I could move quite a bit of money to it and not kill my UTIL. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

You make sense. I do have a BT offer for 0% / 18mos / 2% fee, so that's good. I could move quite a bit of money to it and not kill my UTIL. Smiley Happy

See?  Plus, $40K is nothing to sneez at!  That's a pretty high CL so I'd say that's definitely a + 

You can always check via chat or phone to see if they have any low *purchase* APR promotions for your account (besides BTs) and that can also be another option.  Not to mention since your scores are pretty decent, it's likely your account will feature those 12 or 18 month promotions pretty frequently.  During these promotions, you can also have them send you a check for a specific amount to be paid to you (still under the BT offer) which would also act like Barclay's, BOA, Citi and their BT direct deposit feature.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.