Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first GE card!

tag
apandabear
Regular Contributor

My first GE card!

Well the title says it all. I apped and was approved for my first GE card. 

It was an accident really. I was supposed to be in the garden after my car purchase. I ended up with an inq from AT&T to start UVerse TV and internet services. My ex is moving out of the house (tomorrow!!) and that leaves me with no couch or end-tables in the living room. My idea was to get a cheap sofa. I had $250 in rebate Visa cards from AT&T to put toward the purchase. So I thought, hmmm, $750 should get me a couch that I can live with, right?

Enter Rooms-To-Go. I found a darling set on display for the right price. Sofa, loveseat, coffee table (mine could use replacing), and 2 end tables for $750. Woo! Right?

Only problem is, they had this rocking recliner chair sitting next to that set that I completely adored. I could swap out the loveseat for it. I was't sold on the idea of either-or, and I knew one day I'd want to complete the set.

My intent was to use up my Visa gift cards and put the rest on my (USAA) AmEx. That would mean 9.99% interest after 45 days though. So I inquired about the financing. One more inq (within 30 days) wouldn't kill me right? My EQ had something awful like 9 or 10 inqs, and they'd all fall off at the same time anyway...

Got through the app and saw it was backed by GEMB. Score! I knew I'd have a really good shot at getting it.

Well, I was floored. $3,200!

Interest-free for 3 years as long as I make my payments on time. I was not expecting such a generous CL. As long as the CL reports at $3200, I shouldn't have major issues with UTIL, it will be less than 50% from the start.

So... I ended up getting the loveseat AND the rocker/recliner. Smiley Happy The whole room actually. Which came with a couple weird ass lamps. Good thing, because there will soon be no lamps in my living room either...

I spent a little more than I had planned, but I could pay $40/month and have it all payed off before the 3 years is up. That amount is nothing to my budget, and same-as-cash is a beautiful thing. And now I have a "nice" living room set. It's nothing like my Ethan Allen bedroom suit, but I'm hoping this will last me at least a couple years.

Delivery is in 2 weeks. That's a long time to be without a couch, but the rest of my house is furnished, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm soooo excited!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My first GE card!

Congratulations! IME, GE back accounts are great, and it sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy your new living room. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 21
beb86
Valued Contributor

@apandabear wrote:

Well the title says it all. I apped and was approved for my first GE card. 

It was an accident really. I was supposed to be in the garden after my car purchase. I ended up with an inq from AT&T to start UVerse TV and internet services. My ex is moving out of the house (tomorrow!!) and that leaves me with no couch or end-tables in the living room. My idea was to get a cheap sofa. I had $250 in rebate Visa cards from AT&T to put toward the purchase. So I thought, hmmm, $750 should get me a couch that I can live with, right?

Enter Rooms-To-Go. I found a darling set on display for the right price. Sofa, loveseat, coffee table (mine could use replacing), and 2 end tables for $750. Woo! Right?

Only problem is, they had this rocking recliner chair sitting next to that set that I completely adored. I could swap out the loveseat for it. I was't sold on the idea of either-or, and I knew one day I'd want to complete the set.

My intent was to use up my Visa gift cards and put the rest on my (USAA) AmEx. That would mean 9.99% interest after 45 days though. So I inquired about the financing. One more inq (within 30 days) wouldn't kill me right? My EQ had something awful like 9 or 10 inqs, and they'd all fall off at the same time anyway...

Got through the app and saw it was backed by GEMB. Score! I knew I'd have a really good shot at getting it.

Well, I was floored. $3,200!

Interest-free for 3 years as long as I make my payments on time. I was not expecting such a generous CL. As long as the CL reports at $3200, I shouldn't have major issues with UTIL, it will be less than 50% from the start.

So... I ended up getting the loveseat AND the rocker/recliner. Smiley Happy The whole room actually. Which came with a couple weird ass lamps. Good thing, because there will soon be no lamps in my living room either...

I spent a little more than I had planned, but I could pay $40/month and have it all payed off before the 3 years is up. That amount is nothing to my budget, and same-as-cash is a beautiful thing. And now I have a "nice" living room set. It's nothing like my Ethan Allen bedroom suit, but I'm hoping this will last me at least a couple years.

Delivery is in 2 weeks. That's a long time to be without a couch, but the rest of my house is furnished, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm soooo excited!

HAHA this made me LOL...Congrats!!

Message 3 of 21
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Congratttttttttttt

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 21
LesWH
Established Contributor

Congratulations!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 5 of 21
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 6 of 21
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Congratulations and enjoy your new furniture!!!!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 21
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

had no idea, they were ge backed
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 21
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I love GE. You will too. Congrats. They can be very generous.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 9 of 21
apandabear
Regular Contributor

Thanks folks! As you can tell from the novella above, I am very excited. I really can't wait to sit in my recliner and just relax.

I intended to get a GE card (Walmart/Discover, or Amazon) next.. I had not planned for this at all! RTG is not a terribly useful card, but once I get the balance paid down a bit, it will help with my total available credit (now over $5k). I'm absolutely back in the garden though.. I'm not really monitoring my credit reports, as I have no need right now. 

It's time to sit back and let my credit history grow! This brings me to 3 cards (this being my only retail card) and 2 installments (car and student loan). By 2014, I could be in a really good position to buy a house. We shall see!!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.