Did you mean: 

My first call with American Express

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: My first call with American Express

@Watchmann wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I agree with your point of view. As a new customer, I was excited about testing out their customer service. And I have learned by now that calling the application status number over the weekend will achieve almost nothing. I think my questions were all natural and honest, though I will definitely be careful with future calls to not raise any red flag.

One thing you have to keep in mind, AMEX is not your friend, do not bother them to 'test' their customer service.  Keep your head down, use your card, pay your bills, that's all.  Do not call them to ask questions that can be found on these boards, everytime your account is accessed through a phone call it is noted in their records and we do not know how they sift and sort those records.  I've been a cardmember for 31 years and I don't think I've called them more than a dozen times in all that time, there is no need to.  I know when people get their first AMEX card it seems like a big deal, but to them you are just another source of revenue.  It seems AMEX now want to know when you are  travelling overseas so I'll give them a call and alert them, but other than that they won't hear from me unless I have a billing question and that's never happened. 

Live long and prosper with AMEX in your wallet.

+1 to that.... lol

xD I wouldn't ask to have my first card expedited unless it was a plat (which I think they do anyways). If you've been a member for a while, then they'll probably do it no problem, or if it is a replacement or something but amex has permanent PMS so don't mess with them Smiley Tongue 

Message 11 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

Wow I didn't know Amex was that picky at all! Smiley Happy I'm clueless when it comes to Amex. Thanks a lot for your insight you guys! Is there anything I should note about the way to use the card to not attract attention?

Message 12 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Wow I didn't know Amex was that picky at all! Smiley Happy I'm clueless when it comes to Amex. Thanks a lot for your insight you guys! Is there anything I should note about the way to use the card to not attract attention?

Don't use a personal card for business expenses (even if you get reimbursed for them by your employer) because if your spending gets too high/close to your income then amex will send the amex credit police squad to your house, steal your amex, tie you up, and make you watch while they cut it up slowly with children's safety scissors...

Breathing while using your amex will also cause the same result. 

Message 13 of 19
LesWH
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Don't use a personal card for business expenses (even if you get reimbursed for them by your employer) because if your spending gets too high/close to your income then amex will send the amex credit police squad to your house, steal your amex, tie you up, and make you watch while they cut it up slowly with children's safety scissors...

LMAO!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

So after I took advice from my other thread, applied, and was approved for an Amex Delta Gold, I called American Express to ask if they could expedite the delivery of my card. The rep, who has an Indian accent, took her time and repeated the same statement over and over again despite my 'I understand' each time. That same statement is her claim that Amex have to send out a letter informing me of the interest rate before they would generate my card. Since the letter takes 7-10 days to arrive, the card will take 10-13 days. I asked why it would take them a whole 3 days to generate and mail a card, she tried to 'explain' to me again that the card doesn't get generated until they send out the letter. Then I said 'I understand the process, but why would it take 3 days?' Then she explained the whole procedure to me again. I realized she would never comprehend my question, so I switched topics and asked her a bunch of questions about my card. Why not? I've heard Amex has the best customer service out there! Let's test it out...

So here's a list of questions from me and answers from her:

Q: what's my credit limit?

A: I can't tell you. The card hasn't been generated yet. Your credit limit will depend on your FICO score.

Q: can you tell me my FICO score?

A: I don't know your FICO score. The credit agencies don't tell me. You should talk with them. I can give you the phone numbers. But your credit limit also depends on other factors.

Q: I understand my first year's annual fee is 0. Is this a calendar year or period-length year?

A: I don't know. You'd have to call the number on the back of the card.

Q: If I apply for another Amex card and get denied, will that result in a soft inquiry?

A: No, all Amex applications result in a hard inquiry.

Q: What if I request a product change?

A: A product change reqest is an application for a different product and will result in a hard inquiry.

Do you guys think I would receive different answers if I called again and spoke to a different customer representative?

"The rep, who has an Indian accent" 

I'm sorry but this is relevant because...?

Message 15 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

So after I took advice from my other thread, applied, and was approved for an Amex Delta Gold, I called American Express to ask if they could expedite the delivery of my card. The rep, who has an Indian accent, took her time and repeated the same statement over and over again despite my 'I understand' each time. That same statement is her claim that Amex have to send out a letter informing me of the interest rate before they would generate my card. Since the letter takes 7-10 days to arrive, the card will take 10-13 days. I asked why it would take them a whole 3 days to generate and mail a card, she tried to 'explain' to me again that the card doesn't get generated until they send out the letter. Then I said 'I understand the process, but why would it take 3 days?' Then she explained the whole procedure to me again. I realized she would never comprehend my question, so I switched topics and asked her a bunch of questions about my card. Why not? I've heard Amex has the best customer service out there! Let's test it out...

So here's a list of questions from me and answers from her:

Q: what's my credit limit?

A: I can't tell you. The card hasn't been generated yet. Your credit limit will depend on your FICO score.

Q: can you tell me my FICO score?

A: I don't know your FICO score. The credit agencies don't tell me. You should talk with them. I can give you the phone numbers. But your credit limit also depends on other factors.

Q: I understand my first year's annual fee is 0. Is this a calendar year or period-length year?

A: I don't know. You'd have to call the number on the back of the card.

Q: If I apply for another Amex card and get denied, will that result in a soft inquiry?

A: No, all Amex applications result in a hard inquiry.

Q: What if I request a product change?

A: A product change reqest is an application for a different product and will result in a hard inquiry.

Do you guys think I would receive different answers if I called again and spoke to a different customer representative?

"The rep, who has an Indian accent" 

I'm sorry but this is relevant because...?

Their nationality is not relevant at all, but many people prefer domestic CS, and also, sometimes it is easier to understand people with an american accent as opposed to a foreign accent. I don't think the OP was hating on the CSR because they may have been from a different country. 

Message 16 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

@jsucool76 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Note taken lol

Message 17 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

@jsucool76 wrote:

Their nationality is not relevant at all, but many people prefer domestic CS, and also, sometimes it is easier to understand people with an american accent as opposed to a foreign accent. I don't think the OP was hating on the CSR because they may have been from a different country. 

Exactly. I was also wondering if the rep didn't understand my question or know Amex's policy very well because she doesn't live in America. If that's the case, I totally understand.

Message 18 of 19
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I guess I have to ask, why poke the bear at all in this case?  Most of the questions you've asked are already found on the forums, and even Amex CSR's tend to be all over the map when it comes to information.

End of the day, I will always trust the majority of the anecdotal information found on this forum on how the lender actually behaves, rather than anything that comes out of any CSR's mouth honestly.  Having worked in a few lenders, there are very good business reasons for keeping the CSR's slightly in the dark on certain things (fraud mitigation being the most relevant) and the overwhelming majority of customers honestly don't need to know the information which you're asking for.

I'm strongly of the opinion that I'd simply rather not have the lenders notice me at all; I like being the proverbial needle in a haystack as in my opinion any attention from a lender is absolutely a bad thing.  I don't want to fall outside of their nice and predictable category, as anything outside of that can easily lead to AA of various types... building my credit portfolio is challenging enough in my case anyway, I don't need to make it any more difficult than it needs to be, and I know that at least some lenders absolutely look at the number of times people call, and then it's a short walk to find out what they're calling about as everything is recorded in this day and age.

Could not agree more. I wanted to know my Credit Limit so bad...However I just waited it out until my card came. I called CS two times since i got my cards in September and both were about the auto coverage for rentals and what qualifies for points.

Im good

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.