cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first experience with Discover Customer Service.

tag
ElCamino
Contributor

My first experience with Discover Customer Service.

I was approved for the Discover It last month and received an e-mail from Discover that the card was being expedited to me.

A week passed and I never received the card in the mail. Now it's been two full weeks, and I checked the mail again today, and still no card. So I decided to put Discover's vaunted customer service to the test. I call the help line, and after going through 3 or so automated menus I am transferred to an Account Manager.

The gentleman that answered the phone stated he was from Salt Lake City and asked how he could help me. I explained my situation and he went right to work looking up the tracking number for my package. Once he looked it up, he realized something wasn't adding up, since I'd never received the package or any notices from the postal service about a failed delivery. He then offered to call the postal service and put me on a 3-way call with them to try to resolve the issue. While I was on hold, I cleaned up the area where I keep the mail, just to make sure I didn't accidentally miss the package somehow. When he was back on the line, he had a representative from USPS also in on the call now. We then provided the postal rep with my name and address and he confirmed that it appears the package was at my local post office and he flagged the item for re-delivery (though I was never told why it never got delivered correctly the first time). The great thing was, the Discover rep called the postal service for me and what took him so long to get me back on the line was the USPS's automated call-in system.

My card should be here tomorrow, and I didn't have to sit around getting bounced between Discover and the post office thanks to the hard work of one of their reps. It was an awesome experience and makes me happy I apped for that card.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: My first experience with Discover Customer Service.

Yes, I've had very nice reps every time I've called - mind you, it's been limited, but very nice/well-informed CSRs.  

And congrats on your approval.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 25
SteveUrkel
Frequent Contributor

Niceeee!

*22 Years Old* Started my credit at age 19
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature- $9,200 II TFCU - $2,500 II Amex BCE - $2,400 II Paypal Extras Mastercard - $7,600 II American Eagle VISA - $3300 II Best Buy Visa - $3,000 II Chase Slate - $500
Message 3 of 25
scarzy
Regular Contributor

That's what I call great customer service! Unfortunately, we don't see much of that... Smiley Sad

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 4 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 25
RSCo
Established Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

I was approved for the Discover It last month and received an e-mail from Discover that the card was being expedited to me.

A week passed and I never received the card in the mail. Now it's been two full weeks, and I checked the mail again today, and still no card. So I decided to put Discover's vaunted customer service to the test. I call the help line, and after going through 3 or so automated menus I am transferred to an Account Manager.

The gentleman that answered the phone stated he was from Salt Lake City and asked how he could help me. I explained my situation and he went right to work looking up the tracking number for my package. Once he looked it up, he realized something wasn't adding up, since I'd never received the package or any notices from the postal service about a failed delivery. He then offered to call the postal service and put me on a 3-way call with them to try to resolve the issue. While I was on hold, I cleaned up the area where I keep the mail, just to make sure I didn't accidentally miss the package somehow. When he was back on the line, he had a representative from USPS also in on the call now. We then provided the postal rep with my name and address and he confirmed that it appears the package was at my local post office and he flagged the item for re-delivery (though I was never told why it never got delivered correctly the first time). The great thing was, the Discover rep called the postal service for me and what took him so long to get me back on the line was the USPS's automated call-in system.

My card should be here tomorrow, and I didn't have to sit around getting bounced between Discover and the post office thanks to the hard work of one of their reps. It was an awesome experience and makes me happy I apped for that card.

WOW.. I also found them to be over the top friendly and very helpful..  I was pretty amazed when I had to call them.. Plus, big props for them employing Americans here on shore.. I wish more people would switch to them... good story..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 6 of 25
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Hey ElCamino...you can't miss the package when you get it.  It's not a regular mailing envelope, but a thin brown box, similar thickness to what you might get a CD or DVD in, but about the footprint of a business envelope.

I'd ordered a CD off ebay & I thought that was what it was!  Surprise!! Smiley Very Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

I have gotten my card, but no box or fancy packaging. It was just my card and a 1 page letter Smiley Sad maybe because I got my card rushed via FedEx and they want FedEx to classify it as a letter rather than to charge them package rates.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 25
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

+1,000 on Discover's great customer service!

All the times that I've called them, I've always been greeted with friendliness and professionalism. They definitely have a way of making you feel comfortable and you can sense their willingness to help you. Although I have no issues with my other lenders' customer service, Discover definitely sticks out as being the best thus far, IMO.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 9 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@enharu

Mine came Fedex( like they were all shipped before) and I got the special 'box'. Didn't you have a mix up and received the More initially not It?
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.