Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first fraud incident.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first fraud incident.

Well it happened. First time I've had my card info stolen in close to 10 years. Relatively new Cap 1 QS Visa, used a few times in my home town about 3 weeks ago, I then set a travel alert on all my cards and headed to my wedding then honeymoon through Europe.

I've been checking my accounts daily to make sure nothing had gotten screwed up with transactions and sure enough, yesterday morning I had a total of 8 consecutive charges amounting to around $400.

Places like food store and "NYC Taxi", I contacted capital one and they informed me they had already blocked the card after the last charge, although I don't know why they let it go through to begin with if just HOURS before I was making purchases in Rome.

Either way they were very helpful with the situation and obviously cancelled the card immediately and issued me a new one.

Sucks because the only time I let the card get out of my sight was when a transaction wouldn't go through while eating lunch in Capri. So either that vendor swiped it, or capital one was already blocking charges. Wonder if someone could have bumped into me with a RFID reader?

Anyway, thanks for listening just needed to vent lol. If this is posted in the wrong place then mods please move.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: My first fraud incident.

Sorry to hear it. Fraud sucks. Hasn't happened to me yet but I am sure it will eventually. This is the world we live in now.

Luckily it's typically easily rectified with credit cards.

Message 2 of 10
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear it LINSUB, hope it didn't dampen your honeymoon! If it'll make you feel better, I had some fraudulent charges on a QS card as well and Cap One handled it very painlessly, didn't even have to submit any paperwork--I got a call from someone from their fraud dept. about a week after and that was the end of it. I even put a call like two days right after the fraudulent charges were charged to see if I could get them to credit the charged amounts right back and they credited the account immediately (I mean, they would've done it eventually on their own, I just wondered if I could get it done quickly).

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah cap 1 seems like they are taking care of it. Luckily I have my other cards and wife has her Amex so no worries there. Unfortunately the charges have started to post but I'm assuming they will start to be credited soon! I will call when I return home and see what they say about reversing sooner.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How horrible! I have yet to have this happen and hope it never does! I sometimes wish they would email/text me anytime something is charged but then again that might get a little annoying....either way hope it all works out for you!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two different Cap1 cards get charged within two weeks of each other.  I caught one (4 consecutive Sam's Club purchases) and they caught the other before I saw it.  I will say, they were really nice about it, charges reversed, new account numbers assigned before I even hung up the phone and the cards arrived in a couple of days.  I was totally impressed with how they handled it.

Message 6 of 10
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Sorry to hear it. Fraud sucks. Hasn't happened to me yet but I am sure it will eventually. This is the world we live in now.

Luckily it's typically easily rectified with credit cards.

Ain't that the truth! Be glad it's just your CC and not debit card! 

Hope you get it resolved quickly OP. Smiley Happy 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had two different Cap1 cards get charged within two weeks of each other.  I caught one (4 consecutive Sam's Club purchases) and they caught the other before I saw it.  I will say, they were really nice about it, charges reversed, new account numbers assigned before I even hung up the phone and the cards arrived in a couple of days.  I was totally impressed with how they handled it.

Now this surprises me.  At Sam's Club you have to use a membership card to make purchases, so unless the membership card was stolen too, then why would a crook use a stolen CC there?  If the card wasn't stolen, it would link the card used to the credit card used.

To the OP, sorry to hear about this and am glad CapOne was on the ball about blocking the card.  Just a side note, even though you were overseas, you might have AUs still in the US.  I recently had my PayPal card stolen, for the second time.  It was mostly only used at restaurants.  (Probably skimmed.)  The crook used it at a gas station in TX, then my sister used it at Walgreens in FL, then there was an attempt in TX at Walgreens too, this is when it got flagged.  The odds of that are rather high.  Walgreens in one state and then shortly later, Walgreens in another state.  I am so happy for chip cards.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 10
surehit
Regular Contributor

I have had a few incidents of this occurring with Chase and other card issuers, but I must say Chase has handled it the best out of anyone in my opinion. Generally they have caught it first, didn't allow the charges to even go through, and then sent me a text saying to call when I had a chance. It could be because I call the JPM Executive line every time I call them, no matter the card, but each time it is about a 5 minute phone call and they next day air the replacement card to me without me even asking. 

AMEX Platinum Gold - NPSL | Citi ThankYou Premiere 20k | NASA Platinum Rewards - 20k | Alaska Airlines Visa Signature - 5k x 5 (Not sure why I needed 5.... but still....) | Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 21K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 15K | Ritz Carlton Card - 10k | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - 5k | BECU Visa - 3k |Barclaycard Rewards - 2k | Chase Amazon Rewards - 1k | Discover IT Student - 500 | Chase Slate - 500 | Walmart Store Card - 700 | BBY CitiBank - 1500 | BBY CitiBank -1000

Eq (MyFico) 767 | TU (FICO) 759 | Ex (FAKO): 749
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now this surprises me.  At Sam's Club you have to use a membership card to make purchases, so unless the membership card was stolen too, then why would a crook use a stolen CC there?  If the card wasn't stolen, it would link the card used to the credit card used.

To the OP, sorry to hear about this and am glad CapOne was on the ball about blocking the card.  Just a side note, even though you were overseas, you might have AUs still in the US.  I recently had my PayPal card stolen, for the second time.  It was mostly only used at restaurants.  (Probably skimmed.)  The crook used it at a gas station in TX, then my sister used it at Walgreens in FL, then there was an attempt in TX at Walgreens too, this is when it got flagged.  The odds of that are rather high.  Walgreens in one state and then shortly later, Walgreens in another state.  I am so happy for chip cards.

Yep, two of the purchases were for $105 and change, the exact amount of those visa or Amex gift cards and the other two were just over $20.  When talking with the CSR at Cap1 he said that they tried more puchases but the card declined because my cc limit had been reached.  I called Sam's Club and emailed them telling them that I could provide them with the approx time of purchase, store number and cc used to see if it matched up with the 'member' making the purchases but they were not interested, told me to file a police report or talk to my cc company.  Well, I'm not going through the hassle of a police report, if they don't care about fraud, then neither do I.  Cap1 reversed the charges, so in the end, Sam's is out the money and don't even care.  I know it's still a drop in the bucket to them, but they don't have any desire to stop the fraud.

Good for me I don't even have a Sam's memebership and never will after this.  I did find out from the CSR at Cap1 that the card was swiped, so it was most likely skimmed.  Skimming is a big problem here, so I really need to be diligent, especially at the gas stations.

Sorry, OP it's not fun at all!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.