cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first late payment on a Barclay credit card.

tag
sweetbee

My first late payment on a Barclay credit card.

I never missed a payment with any CC company until now. I missed a payment by just a few hours on a BT that I had carried on to them and I didnt realize due dates changed! I'm on a promo APR and I am now very worried about how this will affect my credit score and report and if I will be kicked out of the promo. What does Barclay do? Do they report right away? What steps should I take? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: My first late payment on a Barclay credit card.

@sweetbee wrote:

I never missed a payment with any CC company until now. I missed a payment by just a few hours on a BT that I had carried on to them and I didnt realize due dates changed! I'm on a promo APR and I am now very worried about how this will affect my credit score and report and if I will be kicked out of the promo. What does Barclay do? Do they report right away? What steps should I take? 

Call them. They should credit the late charge on the first ever ooops. No harm - no foul. You're not technically credit report late for an additional 30 days. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I would call them.  And you're not late as far as the CRA's.  I would get onto autopay.  Even for the minimum.  It's a lifesaver if you're busy & forget.  I have all of mine set up that way just in case. Smiley Wink  Sorry to hear.  I can imagine how frustrating it can be.  

Message 3 of 9
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I would call them.  And you're not late as far as the CRA's.  I would get onto autopay.  Even for the minimum.  It's a lifesaver if you're busy & forget.  I have all of mine set up that way just in case. Smiley Wink  Sorry to hear.  I can imagine how frustrating it can be.  

Agreed, with how much hustle and bustle of our daily lives it's very easy to forget. I have autopay on every CC set to the minimum just in case. Smiley Happy

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Hopefully you can call them and avoid a late fee and possible penalty APR.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

One word...Prism. Lifesaver!!
Message 6 of 9
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

Call them.  Be honest.  Since you haven't been late before, they can see that.  Most creditors offer a 1-time "goodwill" adjustment.  They simply credit any late fee and it's like it never happened.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 7 of 9
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Don't worry OP. Life happens. Most CCC will give you a break on a first offense, and Barclays I have found is generally pretty friendly and will work with you.

To avoid in the future, I would either set up autopay for the minimum payment, or at least set auto reminders (most banks have a system where you can choose to receive a text or email reminder 5, 7, 10 days, etc in advance). Good luck!
Message 8 of 9
devastatah
New Contributor

I went thru the same and they adjusted my account and removed the late fee. You get one pass with them. I immediately logged in and made sure the minumum was on auto pay.

AmEx Platinum NPSL, AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 10K, Penfed Defender AmEx 5K, BankAmericard MC 14k, BoA Travel Rewards 18k, Penfed Thrifty Credit Service 500.00 Blispay Visa 7.5k,
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
Penfed Gold Visa 19K, Lowes 35K, NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 19K, WalMart 20K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, Citi Simplicity $8,800, BarclayCard Rewards MC 11K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Citi Dia Pref Visa $9.7K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K, , Chase Freedom 3.5K, Chase Amazon Visa 1.6k

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 735 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax Advantage Pull 740 Sept 2016
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.