Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first pre-approved CC in years

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

My first pre-approved CC in years

I received my first pre-approved CC offer in years in the mail yesterday.  Its from First Premier.  I know they are a sub-prime lender, but looking over the terms its not quite as harsh as the usual ones I've seen online from them.

I finally have my first 2 CC (from CU) reporting.  I'm assuming there is not benefit at all to signing up for this pre-approved card?  Once I start growing my 2 CC & my score continues to improve I'm assuming I will attract other prime type lenders and/or maybe some store cards?

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Re: My first pre-approved CC in years

Congrates on getting the offer even though it is FP. I remember when I got a few offers in the mail after BK, I didn't care who it was from it was just nice to get offers. Having said that, I would stay far away from FP bank. They truly are the bottom feeders of the credit world. You apparently have a CU card so stick with that, the better offers will come in time. Anyway, just my advice.
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 2 of 8
mt2va
Established Contributor

Thanks that is pretty much my plan but wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked some un-known benefit.  Yeah it is exciting that someone thinks I'm finally good enough for credit even if it is one of the sub-prime folks. 
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 3 of 8
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@mt2va wrote:
Thanks that is pretty much my plan but wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked some un-known benefit.  Yeah it is exciting that someone thinks I'm finally good enough for credit even if it is one of the sub-prime folks. 

I know how that feels.  About 4 years back I got my first pre-approval in years.  I think the interest was something like 19% on some bank visa something-or-other.  I didn't accept it, but it still made me feel good to get it.As I started paying things off & cleaning things up, one of my current cards was at something like 7.49 til prime went back up Smiley Mad

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mt2va wrote:

my score continues to improve I'm assuming I will attract other prime type lenders and/or maybe some store cards?

You betcha you will.I went from receiving nothing a year ago to receiving pre approval weekly.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got one from Premier on line and one from Orchard.  Nothing decent.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dizbuster wrote:
Congrates on getting the offer even though it is FP. I remember when I got a few offers in the mail after BK, I didn't care who it was from it was just nice to get offers. Having said that, I would stay far away from FP bank. They truly are the bottom feeders of the credit world. You apparently have a CU card so stick with that, the better offers will come in time. Anyway, just my advice.

Smiley Indifferent Congrats on getting the offer..............................BUT I think dizbuster summed it up perfectly, you don't want to get in bed with these crooks. Better offers will come with less fee's etc. Good luck

King Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi, congratulations on the thought of the pre-approval, but do not request the card you will regret it in the end, they are an EXTREME nightmare of a credit card company.  Good Luck on more offers.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.