cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My one and only complaint about CITI so far...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My one and only complaint about CITI so far...

They wont let me pay until after the balance has posted to the monthly statement.

"You have entered an amount greater than your statement balance. Please re-enter an amount less than or equal to your statement balance."

I'll survive of course, but this has been one of my favorite tricks for getting high activity with little to no utilization reported on my report. I charge charge charge then pay it all off when I get my pay check (before the account balance is reported to the CRAs). Looks like I'm going to be hit with 50% credit utilization next cycle. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: My one and only complaint about CITI so far...

Xeoz, now you're the second poster that has said this about Citi recently.  I've never had an issue paying just before the statement cut, so now I'm wondering what's what.

Is this the very first statement cycle for this Citi card?  The other poster had just opened his Citi account recently too, I believe.  A Citi Forward card.

I wonder if it's the flavor of the card, or the recent opening (or something else even) that's not allowing the payment before the statement cuts.

Message 2 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They wont let me pay until after the balance has posted to the monthly statement.

"You have entered an amount greater than your statement balance. Please re-enter an amount less than or equal to your statement balance."

You just have to wait until the pending charges are posted to the account which can take a few days. 

I'll survive of course, but this has been one of my favorite tricks for getting high activity with little to no utilization reported on my report. I charge charge charge then pay it all off when I get my pay check (before the account balance is reported to the CRAs). Looks like I'm going to be hit with 50% credit utilization next cycle. Smiley Sad  It is only a hit if you are applyig for credit, wait a month.

My biggest complaint is when they hold the credit availability after payment, the rules keep changing.   Currentlly, on DW account, the first 2 payments release the credit in a day.  The 3rd payment in a cylce holds the credit for 5 to 10 days,  

It is also annoying that they don't show pending charges online.      

On the whole, very happy with CITI.

Message 3 of 15
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

My biggest complaint is when they hold the credit availability after payment, the rules keep changing.   Currentlly, on DW account, the first 2 payments release the credit in a day.  The 3rd payment in a cylce holds the credit for 5 to 10 days,  

On the whole, very happy with CITI.

This annoys me also about my Amex Green. My Chase cards show pending charges. My Lowes does not.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do want to say that I am actually quite happy with the card. Customer service is great, the web site is better than most, and it has a great limit. It's just that this one minor problem hurts how I've been playing the credit game.

Is this the very first statement cycle for this Citi card?

Yes, this is my fist month with this card, a Planinum Select M/C. It is possible that I'm just getting this message because my last "statement" isn't a real statement but an opening balance. Hopefully I can start paying early next month, we'll see.

You just have to wait until the pending charges are posted to the account which can take a few days.

All but one of the charges have posted. Info according to the "Make a payment" page:

Last Statement Balance: $0.00

Minimum Payment Due: $0.00

Current Balance: $932.60

Wont let me pay a cent. Just gives me the message I quoted in the first post (unless I enter less that $5, then it says the minimum is $5).

Yeah, this is a bit annoying too, but my Wells Fargo visa does the same thing so I've gotten used to it. The available credit number always shows ballance minus pending. I really wish credit cards would show pending transactions as they are so important to good credit management.

Message 5 of 15
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

is it just me, or do these inconveniences almost seem intentionally implemented by the CCCs? 

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 6 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do want to say that I am actually quite happy with the card. Customer service is great, the web site is better than most, and it has a great limit. It's just that this one minor problem hurts how I've been playing the credit game.

Is this the very first statement cycle for this Citi card?

Yes, this is my fist month with this card, a Planinum Select M/C. It is possible that I'm just getting this message because my last "statement" isn't a real statement but an opening balance. Hopefully I can start paying early next month, we'll see.

All but one of the charges have posted. Info according to the "Make a payment" page:

Last Statement Balance: $0.00

Minimum Payment Due: $0.00

Current Balance: $932.60

Wont let me pay a cent. Just gives me the message I quoted in the first post (unless I enter less that $5, then it says the minimum is $5).

Yeah, this is a bit annoying too, but my Wells Fargo visa does the same thing so I've gotten used to it. The available credit number always shows ballance minus pending. I really wish credit cards would show pending transactions as they are so important to good credit management.

I think you have to wait until first statement closes so there is a statement balance that is real.   I had the same issue with Captial One.  

Message 7 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@jforsyth wrote:

is it just me, or do these inconveniences almost seem intentionally implemented by the CCCs? 

It is a decision they make.    Pending charges can be confusing with preapprovals of various amounts and the real amounts all mixed in.   I suspect some banks don't want to explain it to those with questions.  

Message 8 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's pretty common for CCC's to make you wait until the first statement works. Don't know why.

The workaround is to pay from your online banking site and "push" the payment into the CCC system. You only have to do this the first time.

Otherwise, just allow a balance to post the first month, and with subsequent billing cycles, you'll be able to pay before the statement date. It's sort of a pain with those AmEx cards that still delay updating until 4 weeks after the statements post. (Many revolvers are now updating immediately, but other cards don't.) It takes almost 2 months to get a $0 balance to report --four weeks from the statement date for the $100 or whatever balance to post, and then another month for it to cycle through and show $0.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 15
smc733
Valued Contributor

I am the other poster that UBUP mentioned.  I am now on my second statement, and my balance was $206.80, but unlike last month, I was successfully able to pay it early!  I'm guessing they just make you wait until your first statement cuts to be able to do that.

So tip would be, keep a low balance your first month as its going to make you report it.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.