Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My patience is running thin w/ Barclays

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My patience is running thin w/ Barclays

@Anonymous wrote:
No advice I'm just jealous you can get in with Barclay. I'm also discharged from BK7 4 years out and I've tried 5 times over the past couple years and no dice. Maybe if I stayed in the garden for more than a month or two I could. Maybe someday lol.

Dave, I also, have a 4 yr old BK. I was initially denied when I applied in June 16. I called them after and was able to recon. Not sure if you've tried that yet. 

* not trying to hijack your thread pizza 😁

Message 11 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Or you could forget the myfico obsession with CLIs (and APR reductions) and just ask "Is this card, as is, useful to me?"  Rewards max out on the SM at $1,250 a month (spent very precisely!) so you don't really need a CL much larger, as you PIF before statement cut anyway.    If it works for you, just use it, if the rewards aren't worth the perceived aggravation, dump it, being aware you will not be able to get it back.

IMO, this is one of the cards least worth worrying about the CL on.  The caps are fairly small, but at 5%, every month, the card can be very valuable.

Message 12 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Or you could forget the myfico obsession with CLIs (and APR reductions) and just ask "Is this card, as is, useful to me?"  Rewards max out on the SM at $1,250 a month (spent very precisely!) so you don't really need a CL much larger, as you PIF before statement cut anyway.    If it works for you, just use it, if the rewards aren't worth the perceived aggravation, dump it, being aware you will not be able to get it back.

IMO, this is one of the cards least worth worrying about the CL on.  The caps are fairly small, but at 5%, every month, the card can be very valuable.

Right!  Agreed LTL...

The caps are so low on this card...and I dont shop at all on Amazon for the 5% "books" either. Maybe twice a year??  Everything you say is true Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very well then...problem solved Smiley Wink

Thin sliced it is Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 24
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Pizza, I can only offer my experience with Barclays:

Dates won't be exact and I'm too lazy to go back through statements:

About 3 years ago I apped and got approved for an Apple Visa card - original no rewards version, started at I think $5k and increased through two CLI's to $9500, asked for the account to be converted to the rewards version, declined, ended up closing the account last January. 

About 2 years ago applied for the Choice Hotels Visa, approved $250 credit limit - asked for the credit limit to be increased to anything reasonable, declined, closed the card 2 weeks after getting it.

Last fall approved for the Cash Forward MC with a SL of $3000, asked for a CLI at 8 months, granted to $8000.

August this year re-applied for the Choice Hotels Visa, approved SL $4800, requested a CLI to get to $5k for the signature version, declined (I'll ask again at 6 months).

A month ago I applied for the "golden ring" (aka RING card), but didn't expect to get it - Approved with a SL of $12,500.

Now, I don't have a BK on my record, and I don't really use - nor have I - used my Barclays cards that much, but at least in MY experience, the more Barclays has come to know me over time the more they have 'rewarded me'.  I'm not much on the prestige factor, to me credit cards are a way to spend my money and gain some benefits, I also pay in full usually in advance of the statement unless I'm taking advantage of a 0% promotion, but the RING card I view kind of as a prize at a low APR, basically fee free balance transfers, etc. It's a fairly exclusive no AF card and it kind of says (to me) my 8 year rebuild has "arrived".

So, bottom line, give it time you'll get rewarded with Barclays once they really get to know you. . 

Message 15 of 24
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

"Has nothing to do with what reports. My point was just that if you are hardly utilizing the existing limit (and less than 3 percent is what I'd say is hardly utilizing) there is little reason for a lender to increase your limit."

--And you would we wrong, kdm. I've only let what I charged for the month report. So I used less than 4% of total available CL and yet still got a $3K CLI. Didn't use other card at all last (ETA) 6 5 months except for $50 and got $3K bump as well. The notion that lenders won't increase limits or that it doesn't make business sense if you're not spending enough is false. False I say.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a way it seems like they may want you to PC that card it is discontinued correct??? I'd wait til I'm a little over 24MO. Check again or put a little more miles than that...before making a big decision on them 😃

Good luck pizza1
Message 17 of 24
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I started out with the Rewards card at 1.5 k. Got the Arr and then Arr+ 5k. I have since closed those accounts as I now have the Ring which is what I really wanted at 7.5k CL. It took a lot of spend, recon etc. but now that I am in I feel I could get any Barclay product. They are a little like DC at least that is my experience.  

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

As far as a CLI, I'll just tell you things you probably already know....the limit is 7k and you are barely using it. $200 a month in usage doesn't warrant a CLI. Yes we all want a  CLI but you are going nowhere near the limit so what business reason does Barclay have to increase your limit?

$200 out of $7K limit is a 2.86% UTL rate.

FWIW I have only let 3.7% UTL report for the last 6 months on my card and I received a $3,000 SP CLI yesterday.

Has nothing to do with what reports. My point was just that if you are hardly utilizing the existing limit (and less than 3 percent is what I'd say is hardly utilizing) there is little reason for a lender to increase your limit.

So even though less than 4% of your utilization reported, I would expect you used the card more than for 4% or less every month.

Going back to the OP, I just think more usage might help with a CLI, though never a guarantee.

I could throw my rent on there a time or two, plus max out their grocery  and gas category and see what happens.. LOL.. Smiley Wink

Maxing out the grocery & gas categories every month sounds like a good plan pizza. That's what we do. 

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Agreed LTL. Sold advice.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.