Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My plans for 2016, what are yours?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: My plans for 2016, what are yours?

jfriend33 wrote

You had a screw put in, eh?  I just had 6 screws removed!  Fun times!  And I wasn't even numbed up lol.  Talk about scared $$*$less.  

Your lineup is great. Especially considering your profile.  You have everything you need, PLUS some flexibility, maybe do a HP cli with care credit one day, cant remember what your limit was. I think it was close to 8 grand if memory serves...

Care credit is weird. They finally got their payment system working last fall, right at the end of my balance, go figure. I hated having to call them EVERY single month after I made a payment online, having to tell them how to allocate it because if I didn't they were not applying the payments to promos that ended first for some reason. Especially if I had used the card for something non promo it was even more of a disaster.  But now, you can have a promo, use it however, and they will apply anything over the min to any interest charging balance, then if those are paid, to whichever promo ends first.  Crazyness.

And I am kinda hoping they give u some awesome retention offer on your green card lol. Stranger things have happened!  Keep ur eyes peeled for some groupon/living social deals for sams club. It is super easy to get the plus membership for under $50 (i paid $38) and just find a friend, loved one, and alternate every year who the primary member is. That way you will get extra!  Funny thing is, now folks are churning at sams, buying $500 gift cards to get the $10 from their plus membership. The gift cards do have some fees but you can offset them using a cash back card....

Yep, after much thought I figured the time was right (financially) so I took the plunge... in my case, it was actually much easier than I thought it would be.  Even the part where the pilot hole was drilled was no big deal (and was relatively quick); I will say that the oddest part was having a mini socket wrench used to tighten the screw - very strange sensation!  (The dentist insisted it wasn't Craftsman... haha)  I had been holding off since the tooth isn't visible unless I smile really big (it's the tooth behind the "eyetooth"), but my dentist was running a special, so I figured the time was as good as any.

Since I'm running two promotional purchases on Care Credit (with the larger one ending first) I'm glad to hear you mention they will credit the amount over the minimum to the plan ending first.  I was actually wondering if I should call them to have the 'overage' manually allocated - it's good to hear that isn't necessary! 

As for the Green, I'm not expecting a retention offer of any type, and I'm OK with that.  I appreciate that they give you the first year to 'check out' the product, and for the right person it could work really well.  Actually, back in the mid-late 90s, I was that person - my Green card was my daily use card.  Back then I had good credit, but my revolvers stayed at 85%-95% utilization, so paying with the Green card was actually the only way for pay for larger purchases, and it forced me to PIF each month.  Now I have revolving cards with credit lines higher than I would ever need at once - and with no annual fee - so it makes little sense to pay $95 for the 'priviledge' with Amex.  I will admit there's a bit of nostalgia to it... when I got approved back in April I was truly on cloud nine - but now I'm thinking more with my head than my heart, and the 'warm fuzzy' feeling it provides isn't worth $95. 

If the stars ever align I might give the PRG a shot; I've never had one so I should still be eligible for the 50k MR points.  Since I've not flown in over 10 years, though, it just doesn't make sense at this time (that card really works best for folks who fly often).  That might change someday, and if it does most likely it will still be around and I'll have my app finger ready!

Like I mentioned in a thread a little while back, I'm in a weird place being that I've really got exactly what I need (and want).  It's a nice feeling, especially after spending years locked out of credit altogether.  While in a way I will miss the excitement of a new approval, at least going forward when the occasional 'really good card' comes around, I won't have to worry about being denied for "excessive inquiries" or "too many new accounts", something that years ago I heard all too often.  I currently have four inquiries on TU, three on EX, and four on EQ, so I think I'm stopping at a good time.

Thanks again for your kind words and encouragement!  Smiley Very Happy

P.S.  You mention you had to have your screws removed... that has me a little concerned.  My dentist is having me wait until April to have the abutment and crown "installed" to give the screw plenty of time to integrate, so I'm hoping this will help my chances with it being successful.  I've already paid for the second part (I wanted it to be one transaction on Care Credit to get the best promotion) so my fingers are crossed! 

Message 51 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined MyFico Jan 2015 with an average of 18 negative accounts/deliquencies/collections across all 3 bureaus. Now I have 5 left on each. I plan on getting those handled and put to rest.

Credit Card wise, I went from 3 CCs (all Cap One) to 8 CCs in the course of 1 month (*nervous laughter*). Some cards that I applied for just need to be ended. I originally applied for GameStop because I shop there frequently, Overstock for the awesome limits and monthly CLIs others were getting, and Amazon just because I couldn't get Paypal. Well those are mistakes I will have to erase this year. I wouldn't have thought I would use the Amazon but it's been quite handy over the past 3 months so I'll probably keep that. The Gamestop card I don't use (I just use my quicksilver) and Overstock... pshhh... I've only used it twice to just to keep it active. So those will be gone soon (if not today).

If I ever become prequalified, I will app for the Venture/QS1 combo this year. Not sure if I'll keep the Venture as many of you have made me feel like there are better cards out there (looking at you ImperfectFuture) so I'll have to do some research (Chase isn't an option right now). If I don't keep it then I'll combine both those and my VentureOne into my current QS1 (9.86% APR!) and that will be good enough for me. 

Besides the Venture/QS1 and finding a good travel card, that's it for me this year. My CL usage is at 30% right now so I'll have to get that down (my wedding and Christmas stabbed my Discover Card). That's pretty much it for me Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan to garden and get above 750 FICO

Message 53 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Mine is to apply for as many credit cards as possible!!!

lol what is on your radar this year Mono, I envision some Amex in your future ;-) SPG before it vanishes.

Message 54 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

jfriend33 wrote

You had a screw put in, eh?  I just had 6 screws removed!  Fun times!  And I wasn't even numbed up lol.  Talk about scared $$*$less.  

Your lineup is great. Especially considering your profile.  You have everything you need, PLUS some flexibility, maybe do a HP cli with care credit one day, cant remember what your limit was. I think it was close to 8 grand if memory serves...

Care credit is weird. They finally got their payment system working last fall, right at the end of my balance, go figure. I hated having to call them EVERY single month after I made a payment online, having to tell them how to allocate it because if I didn't they were not applying the payments to promos that ended first for some reason. Especially if I had used the card for something non promo it was even more of a disaster.  But now, you can have a promo, use it however, and they will apply anything over the min to any interest charging balance, then if those are paid, to whichever promo ends first.  Crazyness.

And I am kinda hoping they give u some awesome retention offer on your green card lol. Stranger things have happened!  Keep ur eyes peeled for some groupon/living social deals for sams club. It is super easy to get the plus membership for under $50 (i paid $38) and just find a friend, loved one, and alternate every year who the primary member is. That way you will get extra!  Funny thing is, now folks are churning at sams, buying $500 gift cards to get the $10 from their plus membership. The gift cards do have some fees but you can offset them using a cash back card....

Yep, after much thought I figured the time was right (financially) so I took the plunge... in my case, it was actually much easier than I thought it would be.  Even the part where the pilot hole was drilled was no big deal (and was relatively quick); I will say that the oddest part was having a mini socket wrench used to tighten the screw - very strange sensation!  (The dentist insisted it wasn't Craftsman... haha)  I had been holding off since the tooth isn't visible unless I smile really big (it's the tooth behind the "eyetooth"), but my dentist was running a special, so I figured the time was as good as any.

Since I'm running two promotional purchases on Care Credit (with the larger one ending first) I'm glad to hear you mention they will credit the amount over the minimum to the plan ending first.  I was actually wondering if I should call them to have the 'overage' manually allocated - it's good to hear that isn't necessary! 

As for the Green, I'm not expecting a retention offer of any type, and I'm OK with that.  I appreciate that they give you the first year to 'check out' the product, and for the right person it could work really well.  Actually, back in the mid-late 90s, I was that person - my Green card was my daily use card.  Back then I had good credit, but my revolvers stayed at 85%-95% utilization, so paying with the Green card was actually the only way for pay for larger purchases, and it forced me to PIF each month.  Now I have revolving cards with credit lines higher than I would ever need at once - and with no annual fee - so it makes little sense to pay $95 for the 'priviledge' with Amex.  I will admit there's a bit of nostalgia to it... when I got approved back in April I was truly on cloud nine - but now I'm thinking more with my head than my heart, and the 'warm fuzzy' feeling it provides isn't worth $95. 

If the stars ever align I might give the PRG a shot; I've never had one so I should still be eligible for the 50k MR points.  Since I've not flown in over 10 years, though, it just doesn't make sense at this time (that card really works best for folks who fly often).  That might change someday, and if it does most likely it will still be around and I'll have my app finger ready!

Like I mentioned in a thread a little while back, I'm in a weird place being that I've really got exactly what I need (and want).  It's a nice feeling, especially after spending years locked out of credit altogether.  While in a way I will miss the excitement of a new approval, at least going forward when the occasional 'really good card' comes around, I won't have to worry about being denied for "excessive inquiries" or "too many new accounts", something that years ago I heard all too often.  I currently have four inquiries on TU, three on EX, and four on EQ, so I think I'm stopping at a good time.

Thanks again for your kind words and encouragement!  Smiley Very Happy

P.S.  You mention you had to have your screws removed... that has me a little concerned.  My dentist is having me wait until April to have the abutment and crown "installed" to give the screw plenty of time to integrate, so I'm hoping this will help my chances with it being successful.  I've already paid for the second part (I wanted it to be one transaction on Care Credit to get the best promotion) so my fingers are crossed! 

Oh yes I am well versed with wrenches in my mouth.  I am always glad to hear of folks that are getting implants vs root canals and crowns. I have a friend that is a health nut, and its probably the former hypochon in me believing it, but he says that having root canals and crowns is carcinogenic and that its best to have implants.  I only have 1 crown which is why I got care credit and into cards in the first place! (without the care credit history I would be screwed, no pun).

My screws arent for implants. They are MSI's, also known as TADs. (miniscrew implant or temporary anchorage device).  http://www.tollgateorthodontics.com/Current-Technologies/TADs.aspx I was very apprehensive but after the first one, I was fully on board.  I have had them fail. In fact as many as 25 percent can fail.  When you have a mouth with 8-12 screws at once, odds are NOT in your favor.  I have had to leave the table at a restaurant, go up to the bar, and beg for a safety pin, toenail clippers, you name it (sterilize them with alcohol first of course...until I built my own travel survival kit) and actually remove a loose screw myself.

I am blessed to have this opportunity, the whole reason I needed a crown/root canal in the first place was due to a messed up bite. And by using these screws I have been able to circumvent upwards of $40,000 in surgeries and only spend $3000 for 18 mos in braces.  I hate it sometimes but I would rather finish off and call it a savings, than have to spend upwards of 2k to save one tooth.  Lol four eyed brace faced credit card geek that is ME!

I am interested in some of these new dentistry techniques, one visit restorations, where they are designed in house the same day.  I also wonder about oil pulling, how effective it really is.  I do know that my water pik is my favorite toy. It is super loud and cumbersome but it actually feels great, and I would insist anyone with any type of implant/crown/bridge/ortho treatment use one.  I just found out yesterday while reading the manual you can not only fill the reservoir with lukewarm water, but also mouthwash, saline, or RX rinses.  I would like to find a great recipe to use besides water, and I am guessing something with salt would be better than not.  I also suggest that you watch ebay for the oral b ortho essentials.  You get a $100 toothbrush with 3 heads, a case, and a clock/smart guide...and they sell around $50 sealed if you keep close watch.  I also highly reccomend plackers interdental angled brushes.  These seem to last the longest of any of the interproximal/proxabrushes out there...and are more affordable and readily available at target/walgreens.

Message 55 of 62
Josh611
Regular Contributor

To not apply for anything unless a new card that I can't pass up comes out.  Would have to be something with a bonus for restaraunts.

Current FICO Scores EQ 782,TU 755, EX 754

AMEX BCE $24k, Quicksilver $10k, Venture $13k, Sallie Mae Mastercard $8.3K Chase Freedom 5k, Discover IT $3.4k, Kohl's Charge $2.5k, Capital One Secured $801
Message 56 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Josh611 wrote:

To not apply for anything unless a new card that I can't pass up comes out.  Would have to be something with a bonus for restaraunts.

Why didnt u get the AARP $200 after $500 bonus that is 3%??  There is also another card out that is 3.3% on restaurants.  The CSP would be good too. Also the PRG. When are you merging your cap1 cards?

Message 57 of 62
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Run my BCE and IT's 0% (think they expire April/May, so PIF before they expire).

Comcast intro rate is expiring around that same timeframe too, so making the switch to DirectTV with Verizon Internet (wish I could get Fios but not available where I live).

Apply for a BBR as soon as 0% is done and profile has only one card reporting. May even do the BuyPower at the end of the year.

Since I had some financial switch-aroos last year (moved out of parents house to pursue my own career which meant losing an outstanding family business side income, then losing my roommate and having to relocate from a two bedroom to one bedroom), I paid off balances on multiple cards and focused on one main driver (IT thanks to their double cash back) unless I had a really good deal on another card (like AMEX or store cards). Current boyfriend is going well and sometimes I feel like he lives with me already since we spend a lot of time at my place, but if things go as planned he'll be moving in officially in June which will help significantly with the bills. Then I can start rotating my cards again to earn the maximum cash back.

As a result of the above, making higher contributions to my IRA and paying down my student loan faster, as well as shifting more money to savings.

Finally closing out a difficult CU account that I live nowhere near anymore but require all this documentation to close it and claim something isn't right every time I try (to which they've now taken out $45 of dormant fees against me, just going to send them a letter with full color and high quality pictures of documentation since faxing apparently is not working and they don't accept account closures via email. They can take back all their accrued interest since June, I just want my $45 back).

Seeing how high my FICOs become from PIF except for one.

I think that's it so far Smiley Happy
Message 58 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

- Transfer all my Auto Pays to my new PenFed Account

- Close my BoA Checking and Savings

- Continue to garden getting SP CLI mostly Discover, Citi and Penfed. 

- Once the promotional periods end on a few of my cards I will call in quarterly to see if I'm eligible to lower. Discover/Freedom I'm looking at you. 

- Saw a luv button appear finally for my BoA account, but I resisted, I think it's a HP

- Once the promotional period ends on my freedom I may transfer some limits of my freedom to the csp since I've maxed out my exposure for Chase so it can be another card at 20k mark

- Stay in the garden mostly.

Message 59 of 62
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

2016 Agenda:

• No new apps for the entire year (averaged 12 new accounts over previous 12 months. Need a break)
  • Close current accounts that are over a year old that have not grown since initial limits granted
  • Work to build credit lines that will/can grow
769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 60 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.