cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son is turning 18 where should he apply for 1st cc?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My son is turning 18 where should he apply for 1st cc?

I'm going to help him get started with credit and wondered where he should apply for his first credit card that isn't secured?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: My son is turning 18 where should he apply for 1st cc?

I'm thinking that you should try to get a CC from the bank he or your family do business with.  There is the possible benefit of an existing relationship if he has been responsible financially with a checking/ debit card account. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

I'm thinking that you should try to get a CC from the bank he or your family do business with.  There is the possible benefit of an existing relationship if he has been resposible financially with a checking/ debit card account. 

+1

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

He banks at chase and I don't think chase will give him a credit card with no score.
Message 4 of 16
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

I recently added both of my kids as AU's on my BCP. This way they will start to grow a history with AMEX. Because they are under 18 (DS is 17 and DD is 16), their cards do not backdate, but show 2012 as member since dates (at least I think that is why they do not backdate). There is the added bonus of sending them to get things at the grocery for me or to fill up the gas tank, and not needing cash to give them. You can establish limits individually on the cards and there is no AF for the added cards.

Since he is 18, student version on cards would probably be appropriate as well.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 5 of 16
bribro
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this happens anymore, but when I was in college a few years ago they had bank kiosks on campus trying to get students to app for credit cards. That's how I ended up with a Citi Dividend Student Card, which has evolved into a Citi Dividend World Elite Card.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 16
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
He banks at chase and I don't think chase will give him a credit card with no score.

It may be worth a try, you never know!  i'd apply in person though, maybe with you there too.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I turned 18 I applied to every company, the only company to accept me was Discover. This was a little over 2 years ago. 

Edit: This was for the Discover More Student Card

Message 8 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I got my discover when I was a student... The student Discover is great Smiley Happy 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

New card laws make student cards harder to get unlike when I was 18. Must be in college and have income. Do you have any cards with good history on them. Best bet is to add him as au on them. Wait 6 months and find issuer who looks at au accounts and apply then. Also cap one for newcomers is good. Local credit unions. Last option is secured card. But do not just apply. Do your research
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.