cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story, and yes IT meaning a great score can be done..

tag
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: My story, and yes IT meaning a great score can be done..

Thanks for sharing your story. Very encouraging for those of us rebuilding. I'm impressed by your patience, that seems to be a necessary but hard to grasp trait for this process. Great job, and all my best to you.
Message 11 of 21
rex_03
Contributor

Thanks

Message 12 of 21
rex_03
Contributor

Rackham94:

I went with a chase slate initially and got 2K. Then with CSP and got 5K, both instant approval. I lastly wanted a freedom for the rotating categories to turn into UR points but was given the 7-10 message. I had to call twice, but I got it albeit taking 1K from my CSP. Chase likes to be conservative I guess with a new relationship, as I haven't had any of their products in past. For the freedom I wanted a small limit as its for the rotating categories. Lastly, yes it's a Visa Signature.

Message 13 of 21
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

I sure did enjoy reading that, congratulations.
EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 14 of 21
vish1
Valued Contributor

Wow. what a story !

Dude, this is wicked cool. I appreciate how you got your act together and fixed your credit over time. Not many people know how to do that and go app happy the moment they get their first card.

Congratulations!

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 15 of 21
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

Wow. what a story !

Dude, this is wicked cool. I appreciate how you got your act together and fixed your credit over time. Not many people know how to do that and go app happy the moment they get their first card.

Congratulations!

+1

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 16 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing your story. After going through a major rebuild of my own, I can well appreciate what you've been through. It's an amazing feeling going from feeling like a credit leper to feeling creditworthy. You've obviously been doing a good job with managing your rebuilder cards, so you can keep applying those habits to your big limit cards. I really love reading stories like these, as they help to show others that, as you said, it CAN be done. Congrats on your really good scores, and enjoy your new cards. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 21
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@rex_03 wrote:

I have been a short-time lurker if you will. I have a story as everyone does too. When I was younger (as I'm 37 now) my parents didn't teach me the values/importance of credit. I got a few cards at 18, charged em' up, and couldn't pay the bills.. You guessed it, I defaulted, and went into collections. This nightmare went on for a DECADE. I couldn't do anything, and lived off cash, or going without. Forward through time, at about 32 I'd say, I started to see that items were falling off my credit report, so I went for Orchard Bank. God aweful annual fee, and such, but hey they reported. I had that for a year, as I didn't want to incur anymore fees than I had too, but they reported to all three credit agencies. About this time, I went for my first unsecured card, a Target store card. 200$ limit, but I thought, and was happy that it was a card! I had this for a year or so, and went to the big time (As I thought) coming from nothing. "Rebuild" was my thought. I was 34 I think, and went for Capitol one ( Two seperate cards) with 750 limits on both. A short bit later I went for a Wally store card, and BJ's Visa. They were good to me, as Wally gave mt CLI most times when I hit the luv button. I had a carried balance on the BJ's card for the longest though.. I aslo went for a credit union card around this time and got my largest  CL to date 2500! I was ecstatic, and it carried me through the rest of my schooling. I'm trying to recall the specifics, but it was a few years ago.

Carry forward to Apr 13' and I'm at a point where I have a few balances. I have a score in the 650's I'd best guess. I'm in the living room with my girlfriend, and looking for a way to hget my balances on my BJ's, and credit union card to ZERO percent, and I'm terrified to hit the app. button, as I have come from nothing, and sub-prime cards as I'd call them. I start with a Chase Slate, and approved on 2K. That takes care of one card, but I need one more to get the other balance. I app. for the Discover IT card thinking "Yeah right", but I got 4.5K CL there . I moved my only other balance to that, and not max out that card (Either to think of it).

I'm riding high, as I saw Credit Karma, and created an account. I see that my score is 673, and I'm finally in control. I couldn't be happier, so I look at other cards I'd like, and for the reason's I'd be able to use them/maximize their perks. I'm approved for: CSP, Freedom, BCE, CITI TY Preferred, and a product change/upgrade to my credit union Visa from classic 2500 CL at 12.9% fixed to Platinum 9.9% fixed 5000 CL. When I did my product change, the lady mentioned that I had a score of 758, and I was in shock! I took info. from this site, and looked into Credit Sesame. I created an account there, and saw my score was a 760! I fell to the floor, as I haven't had a score this high, EVER.. My UTIL is at 12% right now, and I PIF every month. 

I forgot to add that I was a additional user on a AMEX Clear of my girlfriend, and when I got my BCE, I got that backdate. AMEX is a gift, and the AAOA is remarkable. To all those that are rebuilding, or coming up, it can be done with a little time, and patience.

From rags to riches, congrats! I'm surprised that they let you move 1k from your csp to make it below 5k CL.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 18 of 21
rex_03
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the comments.
Message 19 of 21
Bobby1146
Established Member

People, People PLEASE!!!! This is not about how many credit cards you can get maaaaan!!!! All these credit cards are slowing you down. I've had more than a dozen credit cards looking for the right one. These credit companies WILL give you credit, have you seen the competition? It all comes down to ONE CARD with a low APR & a high credit limit, all those rewards, YOU ARE PAYING FOR THEM some how some way!!! Oh & it only takes one slip on one card, and you, your "SCORE", your credit limits, etc, etc are all going DOWN... KEEP YOUR EYES PEALED!!!! KEEP EACH & EVERY PAYMENT.... Bottom line, your doing good, but having 50 credit cards don't mean JACK. Think about it, pretty soon they're going to wonder if you can juggle all these cards, LOL....

Chase Sapphire $5000/ Gap Visa $5000/ Discover$6500, Barclays Ring $5000, Chase Freedom $1,100.00/ Macy's $3000/ Best Buy $3400
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.