Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My view of nfcu

tag
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

Re: My view of nfcu

This (non)issue needs to be put to rest.

Firstly, what makes NFCU different than any other specifically-defined membership eligibility requirements?

Isn't there a credit union open only to like, employees of Warner Bros. out in Los Angeles or something?

Why is nobody up-in-arms about them?

"I was a director of photography back in '73 but now they won't let me join /grooan"?

They define their scope of membership eligibility the way they wanted to, just like any or most other CUs.

But they seem to get this undeserved flack, from people coming in at this in some self-righteous moral or philosophical angle, just because they have "Navy" in their name, or something.

Now, don't get me wrong; I full-heartedly give my utmost adoration and respect to former, current, and even future military members and their families.

My dad was an NCO in the Army, and my sister is currently an officer. Heck, if you include my aunts, uncles, and cousins, I'm the oddball out of my extended family who didn't serve the military in some shape or form.

Respecting the military and its past and current members is one thing;

A credit union defining their membership scope, albeit a little arbitrarily, is a completely different issue.

Message 31 of 43
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ xerostatus,

If it's such a "(non)issue", why are people so sensitive about criticism of the policy?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 43
USF813
Frequent Contributor

OP - You freely admit that you could have joined when you were active duty, yet you didn't. NFCU has criteria that they must adhere to.

Message 33 of 43
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@xerostatus wrote:

This (non)issue needs to be put to rest.

Firstly, what makes NFCU different than any other specifically-defined membership eligibility requirements?

Isn't there a credit union open only to like, employees of Warner Bros. out in Los Angeles or something?

Why is nobody up-in-arms about them?

"I was a director of photography back in '73 but now they won't let me join /grooan"?

They define their scope of membership eligibility the way they wanted to, just like any or most other CUs.

But they seem to get this undeserved flack, from people coming in at this in some self-righteous moral or philosophical angle, just because they have "Navy" in their name, or something.

Now, don't get me wrong; I full-heartedly give my utmost adoration and respect to former, current, and even future military members and their families.

My dad was an NCO in the Army, and my sister is currently an officer. Heck, if you include my aunts, uncles, and cousins, I'm the oddball out of my extended family who didn't serve the military in some shape or form.

Respecting the military and its past and current members is one thing;

A credit union defining their membership scope, albeit a little arbitrarily, is a completely different issue.

+1,000

It's a double standard that other credit unions aren't subject to and it's because it's "military".

Message 34 of 43
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

OP - You freely admit that you could have joined when you were active duty, yet you didn't. NFCU has criteria that they must adhere to.

+1,000

OP should have obtained his membership when he was eligible. Well put.

Message 35 of 43
gsxrgirl

Xerostatus & USF813, I totally agree with what both of you stated.  

Juggalo9er, it's unfortunate that you did not establish a financial relationship with NFCU while you were active duty, but again, that was your choice not to do that.  Yeah, we all see the threads started by folks who like to circumvent the rules to get "in" with NFCU and yeah it's wrong, but what can you do?  Are you salty that you can't shop tax free at the commissary or bx/px too?  You have a free account with Chase and all the perks to go with it, I'm sure some civilians who never served in the military who actually have Chase accounts would feel salty about not getting the same perks you get.  Look, the world doesn't owe any of us a damn thing, so when one door is closed, you better believe another door will open.  Suck it up!!

Oh USF813....GO BULLS!!

Message 36 of 43
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@gsxrgirl wrote:

Xerostatus & USF813, I totally agree with what both of you stated.  

Juggalo9er, it's unfortunate that you did not establish a financial relationship with NFCU while you were active duty, but again, that was your choice not to do that.  Yeah, we all see the threads started by folks who like to circumvent the rules to get "in" with NFCU and yeah it's wrong, but what can you do?  Are you salty that you can't shop tax free at the commissary or bx/px too?  You have a free account with Chase and all the perks to go with it, I'm sure some civilians who never served in the military who actually have Chase accounts would feel salty about not getting the same perks you get.  Look, the world doesn't owe any of us a damn thing, so when one door is closed, you better believe another door will open.  Suck it up!!

Oh USF813....GO BULLS!!

PREACH!!!

This is going to start a flame war but it bothers me. I see Vet's all the time (remember, I am a vet) that play the vet card and act like they didn't have a choice to serve. We made the choice. It's like buying someone dinner and holding it over their head when they never asked you to buy them dinner in the first place. People are greatful enough, we don't have to pull the Vet card all the time.

Message 37 of 43
drkaje
Senior Contributor

This would be a great time to practice impulse control, LOL!

^ being true... the policy still stinks. That opinion is just as valid as anyone who thinks I should have had the foresight to join NCFU 29 years ago.

I'll be staying with an eligible friend later this year and will be sponsored as a household member.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 38 of 43
gsxrgirl

Drkaje, fair enough, yeah Juggalo9er as well as some others think the policy stinks. Again, that's NFCU's criteria.  Hell, I'm sure some people will get salty about not getting into Harvard Law School because they didn't meet Harvard's criteria.  

NFCU is not an entitlement.  When one signs the DD Form, I don't recall seeing anything saying, you are entitled to NFCU.  

Hwturner17, no sir, you are not starting a flame war because what you state is the truth.  Of course the truth hurts, but again, you gotta suck it up, LOL.

Message 39 of 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

I love a good debate as long as it remains friendly Smiley Wink

MJ

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.