Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My view of nfcu

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: My view of nfcu

@gsxrgirl wrote:

Drkaje, fair enough, yeah Juggalo9er as well as some others think the policy stinks. Again, that's NFCU's criteria.  Hell, I'm sure some people will get salty about not getting into Harvard Law School because they didn't meet Harvard's criteria.  

NFCU is not an entitlement.  When one signs the DD Form, I don't recall seeing anything saying, you are entitled to NFCU.  

Hwturner17, no sir, you are not starting a flame war because what you state is the truth.  Of course the truth hurts, but again, you gotta suck it up, LOL.

Harvard legacies are a form of entitlement. Smiley Happy

Every banking/lending institution is entitled to have its own criteria. Barclay hates new accounts, BOA doesn't show goodwill, Chase does HPs for customer-initiated CLIs, Cap One pulls all three bureaus, Amex uses member since dates Amex Blacklists, etc.... Those can all be discussed without rancor. NCFU (however) is the one institution people cannot tolerate any criticism of.

If the truth hurts: There's a reason this policy gets people defensive. It gives that icky kind of feeling that people would rather not deal with.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 43
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@gsxrgirl wrote:

Drkaje, fair enough, yeah Juggalo9er as well as some others think the policy stinks. Again, that's NFCU's criteria.  Hell, I'm sure some people will get salty about not getting into Harvard Law School because they didn't meet Harvard's criteria.  

NFCU is not an entitlement.  When one signs the DD Form, I don't recall seeing anything saying, you are entitled to NFCU.  

Hwturner17, no sir, you are not starting a flame war because what you state is the truth.  Of course the truth hurts, but again, you gotta suck it up, LOL.

Every banking/lending institution is entitled to have its own criteria. Barclay hates new accounts, BOA doesn't show goodwill, Chase does HPs for customer-initiated CLIs, Cap One pulls all three bureaus, Amex uses member since dates Amex Blacklists, etc.... Those can all be discussed without rancor. NCFU (however) is the one institution people cannot tolerate any criticism of.

If the truth hurts: There's a reason this policy gets people defensive. It gives that icky kind of feeling that people would rather not deal with.

The issue, in my mind at least, is not the fact that people are being uncomfortably defensive about NFCU criticism.

The issue, so to speak, is that whenever this is brought up time and time again, it through the point of view of veteran or someone connected to the military in some capacity, feeling that their apparent ineligibility is "unjust" or "unfair." Then you have half the people wound up in that emotional state of noncontextual patriotism, and cry foul, with the other half saying, "so what?"

It's a credit union. Nothing more, nothing less. Veterans, your hairdresser, your dogwalker, each and every one of us is "entitled" to the exact same thing from a banking institution: nothing beyond what the law states, and nothing beyond what the institution itself offers willingly.

Criticism of their eligibility requirements are fine, and I honestly don't think anyone is getting "defensive" about it. But what does being a veteran have anything to do with it?

You're stating that criticism of NFCU is not taken well by some; but as I mentioned in my previous reply, why does no other CU get the amount of "flack" that NFCU gets? And it's not even so much the fact that it DOES get flack, but it is the WAY it gets that flack (i.e. twisting it into some political/military-angled debate)

Consider the following statements...

"I served my country and am a veteran, but Chase wont approve me for...."

"I served my country and am a veteran, but BOA wouldn't goodwill me for..."

"I served my country and am a veteran, but cap1 EO won't allow me to...."

etc..

Then, why should the following sound any less nonsensical/irrelevant:

"I served my countr and am a veteran, but NFCU won't let me join their CU."

Message 42 of 43
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@xerostatus wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@gsxrgirl wrote:

The issue, in my mind at least, is not the fact that people are being uncomfortably defensive about NFCU criticism.

The issue, so to speak, is that whenever this is brought up time and time again, it through the point of view of veteran or someone connected to the military in some capacity, feeling that their apparent ineligibility is "unjust" or "unfair." Then you have half the people wound up in that emotional state of noncontextual patriotism, and cry foul, with the other half saying, "so what?"

It's a credit union. Nothing more, nothing less. Veterans, your hairdresser, your dogwalker, each and every one of us is "entitled" to the exact same thing from a banking institution: nothing beyond what the law states, and nothing beyond what the institution itself offers willingly.

Criticism of their eligibility requirements are fine, and I honestly don't think anyone is getting "defensive" about it. But what does being a veteran have anything to do with it?

You're stating that criticism of NFCU is not taken well by some; but as I mentioned in my previous reply, why does no other CU get the amount of "flack" that NFCU gets? And it's not even so much the fact that it DOES get flack, but it is the WAY it gets that flack (i.e. twisting it into some political/military-angled debate)

Consider the following statements...

"I served my country and am a veteran, but Chase wont approve me for...."

"I served my country and am a veteran, but BOA wouldn't goodwill me for..."

"I served my country and am a veteran, but cap1 EO won't allow me to...."

etc..

Then, why should the following sound any less nonsensical/irrelevant:

"I served my countr and am a veteran, but NFCU won't let me join their CU."

Straw man much?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.