Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife's credit

tag
NiNoMArksLA
Contributor

My wife's credit

Hey I Tryed To Get My Wife a Capital One Card She's 19 And They Said Send a Letter Then 2 Days Later Her Phone Was Ringing Off The Wall From Credit People Say She's In Debt 5k from capital one and some other credit I forgot and I said she's only 19 how can she have credit from 1995 she was 2 years old somebody stole her ssn I guess and now I pulled her credit she's got like 7 collections and I went to Carmax and got a car from then in April 2012 no credit at all 24.9 apr $600 a month I didn't care anyways how can I fix this I wanna get her credit going
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: My wife's credit

Sorry for what happened with your wife, but her age should make the whole process a lot easier as it is fairly obvious she couldn't have been able to open those accounts by herself when she was like 2-3 years old. 

Google "How to dispute identity theft", there's pretty much useful information on this matter.

As the first step, I would call all three major CRAs (Experian, Equifax and Transunion) to order reports from them and to place a fraud alert/freeze in order to make it impossible to use the SSN to obtain any new credit now. When you have your wife's reports, you'll have pretty much an idea of what was going on. After that you'll be able to start disputing items one by one directly with affected lenders / collection agencies. I really don't expect a serious issue here as the situation is too obvious. 

Don't forget to perform actions recommended by FTC (Federal Trade Commission) for victims of ID theft. You might probably need to file it with local police, but I don't have any further information on this, so would be better IMO to start with CRAs and FTC and then follow their recommendations.

Good like cleaning up you wife's name!

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 2 of 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

@NiNoMArksLA wrote:
Hey I Tryed To Get My Wife a Capital One Card She's 19 And They Said Send a Letter Then 2 Days Later Her Phone Was Ringing Off The Wall From Credit People Say She's In Debt 5k from capital one and some other credit I forgot and I said she's only 19 how can she have credit from 1995 she was 2 years old somebody stole her ssn I guess and now I pulled her credit she's got like 7 collections and I went to Carmax and got a car from then in April 2012 no credit at all 24.9 apr $600 a month I didn't care anyways how can I fix this I wanna get her credit going

1. Place a fraud alert on all your reports

2.file a identity theft affidavit at your police station

3. send a copy of the ID theft affidavit with a copy of her drivers license to each creditor stating that it was an identity theft case, since she would have been 2 when they issued her credit.  Also wouldn't hurt to add a DV/Cease and detest at the sametime so they can't bother you again.

4. Send documents to CRA's as well 

5. if CRA's are giving you a hardtime file complaint with CFPB  Cream filled peanut butter Smiley Happy  jk consumer financial protections bureau. They will push the CRA's to delete if you have a legitimate case.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

also how could you NOT care that you guys are paying 24.9% on a car loan? -_-; 

on a 5 year loan if you borrowed $10,000 you'd pay back a whopping $22,500

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 6
NiNoMArksLA
Contributor

Cause it was a 2002 Chevy Camaro SS 35th Anniversary 6 Speed With Only 40k Org Miles And Carmax Sold It To Me For $18,998 Total With Payments $42k Lol I know 42k And only put down $500 bucks then I called Santander offered them $18k to pay it out if not I am gonna run the car meaning that I will stop paying for it and garage it to a friends house so thay said 18k is fine sold it to my car buyer for $22,500 Cause it's a rare car and it's a cash paid car on name
Message 5 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

good lord on the car note.

post your wifes situation in the rebuilding section if you need further assistance.  

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.