Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myth about Capital One Credit Lines

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Myth about Capital One Credit Lines

i'll let OP answer but i am pretty sure that the platinum prestige is the one that could get you 25k out the box.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 11 of 48
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:
i'll let OP answer but i am pretty sure that the platinum prestige is the one that could get you 25k out the box.

According to the Cap 1 site, platinum prestige has a cap of 20k. Most of their high end cards say the same. The one and only card they list with a cap higher than that (30k) is their "No Hassle Miles Ultra for Professionals". That's why I was curious.

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card I applied for and was issued by Capital One is the "No hassle miles ultra for professionals card". 

I see on here that many write that they do not care for Capital One.  That they have bad customer service.  I never found that to be true.

The odd thing is that when I go for new credit I never found that my FICO scores take a hit.  After my new car loan, no change in score.  This card came up today on my TU and no change in the FAKO score.  But then again the TU fako score is totally worthlessSmiley Surprised

Message 13 of 48
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The card I applied for and was issued by Capital One is the "No hassle miles ultra for professionals card". 

I see on here that many write that they do not care for Capital One.  That they have bad customer service.  I never found that to be true.

The odd thing is that when I go for new credit I never found that my FICO scores take a hit.  After my new car loan, no change in score.  This card came up today on my TU and no change in the FAKO score.  But then again the TU fako score is totally worthlessSmiley Surprised

Interesting never heard of the "No hassle miles ultra for professionals card"

FTR, as far as your impression of cap1, really no surprise there -unless you have a low tier product you would not have experienced what many of us have reported here, since they treat prime customers very differently. 

unlike their 'low tier' customers most of their prime card holders have nothing but praise for their card(s) and cs.  this has always been the case at cap1.  in any case, congrats once again!

no change in fako is meaningless, since it does not indicate whether or not there was a change in your real fico score.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw the card on their web site.  It was the largest CL card offered that is why I applied for that one.

I totally agree with you about that FAKO score. I have no idea why they even give it out, whats the point?

I will pull my FICO's again the first week of April 09.  I have no idea what to do about Experian now that we can no longer pull those.Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 48
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see on here that many write that they do not care for Capital One. That they have bad customer service. I never found that to be true.

Congrats on the card. As far as CLs, you have the #1 top card Cap One offers.

As far as customer service, YMMV. It always varies. Personally I've never been been treated badly by a Cap One CSR. But then again I have to call a backdoor # to speak with one. I have a bottom rung card from Cap One (the first card I ever got) and the # on the back of my card sends me to an automated system with no option whatsoever to speak to a live person. So I'd say it's easy to feel there are "haves" and "have nots" with Cap One.

Message 16 of 48
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

As far as customer service, YMMV. It always varies. Personally I've never been been treated badly by a Cap One CSR. But then again I have to call a backdoor # to speak with one. I have a bottom rung card from Cap One (the first card I ever got) and the # on the back of my card sends me to an automated system with no option whatsoever to speak to a live person. So I'd say it's easy to feel there are "haves" and "have nots" with Cap One.

Several methods that usually (but not 100% of the time) work for me with the different automated systems

- say "agent" or "representative"

- press "0" several times (with small pauses in between each repetition). This is what I use for my Capital One "sub-prime"-ish Mastercard.

- when the automated system asks you to say or press your account number, do nothing -- eventually the automated system may transfer you to an agent. I've had to use this method a few times with Sears Mastercard when, mysteriously, the automated system abruptly disconnected me when I was calling from my cellphone regardless of what menu options I chose.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-23-2009 02:10 PM
Message 17 of 48
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@MojaveMoon wrote:
Several methods that usually (but not 100% of the time) work for me with the different automated systems

- say "agent" or "representative"

- press "0" several times (with small pauses in between each repetition). This is what I use for my Capital One "sub-prime"-ish Mastercard.

- when the automated system asks you to say or press your account number, do nothing -- eventually the automated system may transfer you to an agent. I've had to use this method a few times with Sears Mastercard when, mysteriously, the automated system abruptly disconnected me when I was calling from my cellphone regardless of what menu options I chose.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-23-2009 02:10 PM

Some of those do work. But then I ask, why should I have to resort to trickery just to talk to a CSR? I think the fact that there is no option "To speak with a representative press X" says a lot.

Message 18 of 48
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:

Some of those do work. But then I ask, why should I have to resort to trickery just to talk to a CSR? I think the fact that there is no option "To speak with a representative press X" says a lot.

Agreed, any company that works harder to AVOID giving you a CSR to speak with than just doing their job and being open about it, has issues. I consider it a sign of bad customer service when a company intentionally and with great effort dodges their customers and tries to avoid speaking to them.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have been less than happy with your Capital One experience, maybe this information could help.

Here is a link where you can compare ALL Cap One cards.  Look to see where you are:

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/compare/?linkid=WWW_0608_CARD_TGUNS05_CCPMP_C2_02_T_C...

As you can see, they have cards requiring Excellent, Good, Average and Limited Credit.  Depending on your credit and the type of card you apply for will determine your future CLI's and card use.

So, you have your "Crap1" cards, which are great for people with "Crap Credit" and they are not going to EVER exceed $2k or $3k and who knows how long or if you actually obtain the max possible limit.  For example, I have 800 FICO's now and 6 figure income, but my original "crap1" card from my credit rebuilding years still stands at $1k while I have now other cards at $10k to $25k.  I accept this for what it is and keep the card for the history and age. 

But you also have cards that require Excellent credit.  So, while I have the "crap1" card, I also have a No Hassle Miles Utra from Cap One which can go to $30k.

Don't expect a dog to pull your plow....get a horse or better yet, tractor.  Meaning, once the "crap1" card has served its purpose (was the tool for the job at the time), get the tools you need now....better cards.

QUESTION:  Can you 'change products' with Capital One?  Maybe we should stop asking for CLI and start asking for product change?  Anyone have any info on if possible with Cap One?  

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.