Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myth about Capital One Credit Lines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myth about Capital One Credit Lines

I have had my Captial one Card for several years with an original CL of $8,000 now that card is at $14,000.   I read on here that they mostly issue low CL cards.

That is a myth and it is not true.  I applied online for a card about two weeks ago and I was approved on the spot.

The card arrived in the mail yesterday and the credit line on it is $25,000.

I have not been subject to any CLD's yet nor have I had any of my accounts closed.  However, BofA and Chase has most of my credit cards due to purchases of other banks over the years. I thought to add a second card from Capital One would be a plus incase any of my other cards are cut or closed.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Myth about Capital One Credit Lines

Hi Mark, Congrats on your new card. How about we trade my $5K CL CapOne card to your $25K CL CapOne Card?Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 48
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Mark-MD wrote:

I have had my Captial one Card for several years with an original CL of $8,000 now that card is at $14,000.   I read on here that they mostly issue low CL cards.

That is a myth and it is not true.  I applied online for a card about two weeks ago and I was approved on the spot.

I have not been subject to any CLD's yet nor have I had any of my accounts closed.  However, BofA and Chase has most of my credit cards due to purchases of other banks over the years. I thought to add a second card from Capital One would be a plus incase any of my other cards are cut or closed.

Congrats on your card!

Nothing you posted contradicts the "myth" that Capitol One mostly issues low CL cards. Mostly means most, but not all.

No one said that they solely issue low-limit cards.

In fact, I think at one point I posted a mini-appeal for those with the good Cap1 cards to let us know, because a lot of us would like to know which particular ones have this potential for growth.

Again, congrats!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 48
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I don't think anyone has or believes that they ONLY issue low ball cards, just most of their cards are low balls. Not all. They have high end cards but mostly deal in low end cards. I have had both with them, ultimately it was their lack of customer service that made me leave, not the CL. BTW, congrats on your card.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 4 of 48
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@bakalao2k wrote:
Mark, what does the MD stand for in your profile's name? If you are a doctor, that explains the large credit line. :-)

I always assumed it was just state initials for Maryland Smiley Happy silly me...
Message Edited by Guardian on 03-23-2009 12:00 AM

Message 5 of 48
score_building
Senior Contributor

congrats!
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, I live in Texas.  Just your plain ol county medical examiner hereSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 48
GregB
Valued Contributor

I have been happy with Capital One.

My first experience with them was a mail offer received in 2006 for a new credit card with a 0% rate for one year. They gave me $18K limit, which is unchanged as of today. I used almost all of it to pay off a car loan that I had signed up for in a temporary weak moment. My normal interest rate is currently 5.99% although I am not using it as a regular card. I used it for a 0% one year with a 3% transfer fee to pay down Amex when they CLD me.

I also responded to a mail offer from Cap One for a business card about a year ago. It was also 0% for one year, this one for purchases. I have been building a balance on it as I pay down the remaining Amex balance, who has raised my rate up to a ridiculous 9.69%.

I can't complain about no CLI since my FICO scores are actually a bit lower than when I received the personal card. They have gone from high 700s to 700 or so and now back to mid 700s.

Message 8 of 48
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nope, I live in Texas.  Just your plain ol county medical examiner hereSmiley Wink

Good to know, sorry about the false assumption. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 48
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had my Captial one Card for several years with an original CL of $8,000 now that card is at $14,000. I read on here that they mostly issue low CL cards.

That is a myth and it is not true. I applied online for a card about two weeks ago and I was approved on the spot.

Which card did you get, if I might ask?

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.