Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU CC

tag
dbatl14
Contributor

NASA FCU CC

I just want to know if anyone else here had any type of experience with NASA FCU and their Credit Cards

I applied for their CC offer and I was instant approved for $17,500 on 10/30. A few hours later a rep called me and told me that they would need my DL and proof of address. I always use my business address as my home address is in an Apartment community with a shared mail center that had mail theft in the past, therefore I no longer use my actual home address.

So I upload my documents on that Friday right after our phone call which was on a Friday. So I wait and haven't heard anything back, on Tuesday, I sent a follow up email to them that I uploaded the documents. I received an email back stating that they need an Power Bill or other utility that shows the "service" address. So I replied back that I don't want to use that address but I can provide the bill which I did.

Again, no more response. I wait another day and call. I talked with the service rep and explained to her that I use my business address versus my home address which I put on the application. She was nice and she stated that she would talk to the loan officer to see how they would proceed and they would contact me.

A few hours later I get a message from the CU and it said, that that my service address doesn't match my application. So I contact back on their internal messaging system and stated that I spoke to a rep the day prior and explained my situation and explained it again.

The next day I get another response stating that they need my home address but would be able to have mailing address to where everything is being sent to. So again I provided them with my home address but told them that I needed my business address as the mailing address.

Now another day or so passes, I have not gotten any response or resolve on this. I have never experience such a crappy service from anyone. I have over 20 CC's and bank accounts and have done this for years. A few banks called me about it and I explained it and they took care it right on the call.

Since I got approved to now has been almost 2 weeks and I still have no idea if they are updating my stuff or what is happening here. I am about to be like screw it, the only thing that really got under my skin is that I provided them with all my personal info, copies of license and I don't want to waste the HP especially since I already have the approval for almost $18K which would definitely boost my utilization.

Does anyone have any other experiences with NASA FCU, should I wait and keep spending time on contacting them or just tell them to forget it and file a complaint with the NCUA.

My Wallet: Amex Everyday: $7000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | AMEX Business Reward: NPSL | Amex Hilton Aspire: $9300 | Amex Delta Gold: $15000 | Amex Business Plat: NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards: $22000 | Travel Rewards: $15000 | NASA FCU Advantage: $17,500 | DCU Platinum: $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards: $3500 | Capital One QS: $8500 | Capital One Platinum: $2250 | Capital One Spark: $7500 | Fidelity Bank: $3400 | Nordstrom: $16500 | Macys: $10000 | Walmart: $3300 | Amazon: $6000 | Target: $14500 | | Chevron/Texaco: $3000 | Discover IT: $4700 | Apple Card: $2450 | Citi Double Cash: $4000
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: NASA FCU CC

A complaint about a 17.5k approval? nah see if you can work it out 1st, CU can behave amateurish when things are not straightforward, it may take a little more patience assuming they don't object to the failure to use home address which is a basic requirement.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 20
dbatl14
Contributor

I understand that they would want a home address but to be that unresponsive or unhelpful is beyond me. I mean I have an account with DCU which I use as my main bank and I have a CC with them, I explained to them the same thing and it was no issue they made the adjustment on the spot.

NASA published an article in regards to "mail theft" and that is what happened to me before when you live in a community and 300 people share mailbox at one location in a decent part of the city. People break into the mail boxes and steal credit cards, information, etc. My main reason I stopped using my home address because when you become a fraud victim is is quite a challenge to get that taken care of.

As long as they know what's up because I don't see what the home address or alternate address which they can still reach you matters. I could be moving tomorrow after I get the card.

I think that is why identity fraud is so rampant now. You use your home address, they send you your cards there, one of the biggest pieces to the puzzle. The same as with a Drivers License, I find it ridiculous to have to use your home address. Lose your license, you are exposed, when you get robbed or someone steals your wallet, you are screwed. You have your CC's and License in one place now all of your information is out and you may have some not so friendly visitors show up one night.

I guess I wait and see what happens. But the 17.5K approval doesn't mean much if they wind up not giving it to me because of some minor alteration of  what I call being proactive for my safety and ultimately for the bank as well.

We shall see what happens, I am just baffled over their lack of service especially a institution like NASA or maybe I just give them too much credit (no pun intended).

I have several Amex, BofA, Discover, Cap One, etc, never ever a problem

My Wallet: Amex Everyday: $7000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | AMEX Business Reward: NPSL | Amex Hilton Aspire: $9300 | Amex Delta Gold: $15000 | Amex Business Plat: NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards: $22000 | Travel Rewards: $15000 | NASA FCU Advantage: $17,500 | DCU Platinum: $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards: $3500 | Capital One QS: $8500 | Capital One Platinum: $2250 | Capital One Spark: $7500 | Fidelity Bank: $3400 | Nordstrom: $16500 | Macys: $10000 | Walmart: $3300 | Amazon: $6000 | Target: $14500 | | Chevron/Texaco: $3000 | Discover IT: $4700 | Apple Card: $2450 | Citi Double Cash: $4000
Message 3 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

Sadly, mail theft is reportedly not an uncommon occurence but the majority of newly approved members don't handle it the way you describe, which may understandably bring pause. From an issuer perspective this address toss up can be highly correlated with fraud and they don't know you like that yet.

Just because others were cool with it, doesn't invalidate NASA concern. I imagine you'll ultimately have it ironed out, in any case.

I understand the frustration. Sounds like this must be one of your 1st times coming up against the reality that the level of service at any CU can often become amateurish, especially when things are not straightforward-generally with more frequency than major banks. DCU is actually one of the worst offenders, so glad to hear you have had no prob with them so far.

There's no mistaking it, mileage varies, this time you ran into a bit of suefactor at NASA, it happens, wouldn't get too riled up about it honestly, just get it sorted as soon as possible, and move on.

In a sense you can actually take some comfort in that they're (albeit, clumsily) perhaps enacting further and better due diligence (at least in this instance) than DCU to protect home base if a flag was triggered. When all is said and done given concerns about mail fraud may eventually sorta appreciate that it wasn't quite so easy to run through, admin delays notwithstanding.

Message 4 of 20
dbatl14
Contributor

I get it that they need to do their due dilligence but at the same time if you have some issues, take care of it. I have been reaching out, calling, sending emails, etc.

They have my DL, 2 bills and then they can see that activity on my credit report with over 20 active accounts. I would think that you verified me by now but I don't know what else you need unless you respond to me espcially when I lay it out.

DCU did call me but I explained and they changed while I was on the phone and then a few hours later I was approved and ready to go to only like 2 days. I am going on 2 weeks now.

But I did research and found that a lot of people are quite unhappy with their actual service across the board so it must be just how they operate.

I will reach out next week if I don't hear from them first and see what's up. I just find the lack of common sense by these pencil pushers quite disturbing especially when you do this every single day for many years. You should have a system in place to where it says, need to do more verification ask for additional documents.

I upload documents and don't hear anything back unless I call and tell them that I already did it. DCU when you upload they respond right away or at least within 24 hrs.

Thanks for all of your input. Yes, this is my first time running into something like this and I app'd a whole lot. LOL

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dbatl14 wrote:

I applied for their CC offer and I was instant approved for $17,500 on 10/30. 

Since I got approved to now has been almost 2 weeks 

It's been one week

I empathize with you on bureaucracy and inability to think outside the box by pencil pushers

when you push back and say it's been almost two weeks and it's been a week to the pencil pusher dont be surprised if they exercise the little power they have

Message 6 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

Attitude is Everything. We're all in it together at CU, the folks that process apps are fellow members. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

NASA has been good to me. However, they are often slow and not keen on taking care of business on the phone and the website is like a treasure hunt. That being said, it really sounds like it is worth waiting for their results. I did read on the forum that someone had their documents filed in the wrong place and it took another call for them(NASA) to find them again. The giant PLOC was then funded. Good luck!

Message 8 of 20
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Patience is virtue. I've never had too long of a delay with NASA. I have both their CC and PLOC.

They can take longer than others, though. Well worth the wait, IMO.

Message 9 of 20
dbatl14
Contributor

My main concern in this case would be if that is indicative to how they operate, I saw that there are quite a few unhappy customers and that it falls in line with bad customer service. Not doing what they say they would do, multiple request but still not resolved, etc.

I am just surprised to see such a negative response to a CU especially one associate with NASA, as you would think that the more members, the more revenue but maybe it doesn't matter to them.

I am firm believer that things happen for a reason if this doesn't work out maybe it's for the better and it saves me grievances in the future.

But good to see a few folks actually have a relationship with them and it is not all bad.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.