cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU Credit Card Closed. Adverse Action.

tag
robbulous
Regular Contributor

NASA FCU Credit Card Closed. Adverse Action.

Hello all,

Wanting to let everyone know that NASA FCU abruptly closed my credit card with them. To give some back story, I've had the card about a year and a half. I got it during the NASA craze that happened awhile back.

Back then instantly approved me for a $30,000 credit line at 7.9%.  My FICO score was a 780 with 1% utilization.

Fast forward to today, my FICO score is 750 with 5% credit utilization. There is nothing new on my credit report that should have spooked them. I think they may be shutting down accounts opened during the craze and that have been barely used.

I disputed the closure with the collections manager, and she said after further review the account would not be reopened because I already had high credit limits on other credit cards. Sounds ridiculous to me. NASA thinks that if you have enough credit elsewhere, they don't need to bother with you. Talk about jealous in the worst way. I also opened 2 new accounts in the last year.

One thing I think may have been a factor is that I only ever had a high balance of $20 over the year and a half of having the card.

Just a warning to those of you with NASA cards to be careful with them as they seem to be even more jealous than Barclays.

The account now shows up on my credit report as closed, with a note: "account closed by credit grantor."

Will this have adverse effects on my other accounts?

NPSL.................$30,000............$28,000.............$20,500............$28,000............$80,000............$19,000............$21,300..............$20,500
Current FICO Score Across All 3: 770+..... GOAL: 800+ Current Utilization: 5%....... Infiniti Financial Auto Loan at 1.9%
35 REPLIES 35
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: NASA FCU Credit Card Closed. Adverse Action.

Should not.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 36
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@robbulous wrote:

Hello all,

Wanting to let everyone know that NASA FCU abruptly closed my credit card with them. To give some back story, I've had the card about a year and a half. I got it during the NASA craze that happened awhile back.

Back then instantly approved me for a $30,000 credit line at 7.9%.  My FICO score was a 780 with 1% utilization.

Fast forward to today, my FICO score is 750 with 5% credit utilization. There is nothing new on my credit report that should have spooked them. I think they may be shutting down accounts opened during the craze and that have been barely used.

I disputed the closure with the collections manager, and she said after further review the account would not be reopened because I already had high credit limits on other credit cards. Sounds ridiculous to me. NASA thinks that if you have enough credit elsewhere, they don't need to bother with you. Talk about jealous in the worst way. I also opened 2 new accounts in the last year.

One thing I think may have been a factor is that I only ever had a high balance of $20 over the year and a half of having the card.

Just a warning to those of you with NASA cards to be careful with them as they seem to be even more jealous than Barclays.

The account now shows up on my credit report as closed, with a note: "account closed by credit grantor."

Will this have adverse effects on my other accounts?

Sorry to hear about the closure, no need to worry about "account closed by credot grantor". it doesn't affect FICO score and if somebody asks about it during a manual review, just say it was closed because of non use which is what actually happened.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry this happened to you. As far as other accounts being affected, it's hard to say. I imagine that when a closed account reports other lenders will SP you to take a look. As long as it's just one card closed I think you'll be fine. Sucks losing 30k though Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 36
Gmood1
Super Contributor

That's a bummer! I have my NASA Card setup with a recurring bill.

As I do all of the CC's that I want to keep. I also have an automatic monthly deposit in place for my NASA savings account.

Sorry to read of your troubles.

Message 5 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@robbulous wrote:

Hello all,

I really don't think this is anything to do with jealousy.   You have a lot of credit elsewhere which you might be using, so the question then is "Are you using our card so we can profit?" and in your very next paragraph you answer that!  Basically, you are tieing up some portion of a $30K CL which they can't give to someone else, and hardly using it, so closure makes total sense to me.

And I am not being judgemetnal.   I also have a $30K line from NASA that I haven't used in a year, and, after your post, maybe I will put something on it!

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP definitely sorry to hear this but it sounds like you are more than ok (you said high balanace of $20). 

That said, 12 months or so from now....

8 ball.jpg

Message 7 of 36
robbulous
Regular Contributor

^^^ I'm more than ok. This credit loss does not impact me at all. I simply don't want for there to be a domino effect.

PS. that pic is hilarious.

NPSL.................$30,000............$28,000.............$20,500............$28,000............$80,000............$19,000............$21,300..............$20,500
Current FICO Score Across All 3: 770+..... GOAL: 800+ Current Utilization: 5%....... Infiniti Financial Auto Loan at 1.9%
Message 8 of 36
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear this. I think the risk of this causing issues with your other cards is minimal. If there was another one of your lenders thinking about doing the same thing, this could actually help in keeping them from doing it.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
Sorry to hear this. I think the risk of this causing issues with your other cards is minimal. If there was another one of your lenders thinking about doing the same thing, this could actually help in keeping them from doing it.

While I agree that the risk is small, I don't think the bolded part is particulalry true.   Yes, if the concern was overall outstanding credit, then having that reduced by $30K might help.   But an issuer in the same position, large credit line but minimal usage, wouldn't care about the Nasa closure, some logic still applies, I could give some of that CL to someone who could generate a profit for me.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.