Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU: Fraud detection (rant)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

NASA FCU: Fraud detection (rant)

So I used the card today in a way I can see would arouse suspicion (Fidelity Amex also took exception, but handled it much better!).   Finally a transaction was declined.  I call in to find out why, and the CSR tells me a fraud alert is on the card and transfers me to the fraud department, helpfully giving me the number.

The options then:  If you are responding to call from us, enter case number (or SSN), press 1, to report a lost or stolen card press 2, Anything else, press 3.

Well, I am not responding to a call, and don't have a case number, so I pressed 3, and this says  "To find more information about your account, call the number on the back of your card.  Goodbye!"  

Great!   So I call back, press 1, and get prompted for my case number.  I then allows me to enter my SSN, but of course still can't find me as an active call, and asks for the number I received the call on  etc.   Fortunately, this does eventually allow me to get to a rep, who when she understands, says "Oh, we were going to call you but you called us first."  Right, because my transactions got declined!

When I explained the transactions were all mine (the payments to Columbian narco-terrorists are legitimate business expenses) she removed the alert.  Great, done.

But then I tried to access the website, which had been working before the call, and now I'm told that the status of my account does not permit access.  I call Web Support, and he explains that access was locked because of fraudulent charges "Oh, which I see have been resolved".  and then unlocked.

So, done for now.   Not sure what model of fraud requires the website locked (a good way for owners to identify bad transactions I would have thought) so not all that impressed.

Fidelity Amex just removed the block straight away.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

Re: NASA FCU: Fraud detection (rant)

Thanks for the info...sucks that you had to go through this though. Website lock down?!?!? I don't know about this one. This card may not get too much purchase action from me. I did use this for a BT though.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 2 of 10
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Fortunately Fidelity allowed you to pay the narco terrorists. Those guys can get a bit impatient as your rattling through the "helpful automated system".

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 10
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Sounds like a hassle. I kinda don't really like credit unions like that for those reasons. At least you know what you're gonna get with Chase, Barclays and Amex as much as they can have their disadvantages too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:

Fortunately Fidelity allowed you to pay the narco terrorists. Those guys can get a bit impatient as your rattling through the "helpful automated system".

Thats why I refuse to have any dealings with Juan Valdez, or his Columbian Co-Operatives. Not even if it is a Fair Trade...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@TheGardner wrote:

Thats why I refuse to have any dealings with Juan Valdez, or his Columbian Co-Operatives. Not even if it is a Fair Trade...

The suspicious charges went through, it was a $500,99 charge at CVS that got declined by both Fidelity and NASA.   First time I used the Fidelity card today, so I was surprised, guess I haven't used it much at CVS (as a certain Amex card got all that business!)

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@TheGardner wrote:

The suspicious charges went through, it was a $500,99 charge at CVS that got declined by both Fidelity and NASA.   First time I used the Fidelity card today, so I was surprised, guess I haven't used it much at CVS (as a certain Amex card got all that business!)

Did somebody get caught with his hand in the gift card jar? 

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did somebody get caught with his hand in the gift card jar? 

Not as such, more:  "It appears that you have repeatedly used the reward feature by making purchases that are not consistence with personal family and household use. those purchases are ineligible for rewards under the terms of the card."   Could have been the 200,000 cans of outdated SPAM, or maybe the gift cards, who knows!

Message 8 of 10
core
Valued Contributor

Elan does the same thing:  They locked me right out of the web site just because my card was compromised.  And I don't even know how the crooks got my card number.  I mean I only used it once, and that was to order prescription drugs from a reputable pharmacy in India.

Message 9 of 10
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Guess using my card at the Playboy club or Jannies ranch is out of the question now.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.