Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA fcu credit card closed without warning

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NASA fcu credit card closed without warning

I'm sure. I understand the business side of it. But I hate they forgot there's a human behind there. What's funny is the elevated usage was only for a few months. I've kept everything else controlled until a large repair came through (on top of the renovation disaster). I've been working to reduce it and now I get stung.
Message 11 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

48K in CC balances, am I correct?
Message 12 of 50
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
None of them are good.
Cap1- balance 17k, limit 20.5
Delta amx- balance 500, limit 2k
NASA- 11k, limit was 15k
Amx ED- balance 3k, limit 4 (BT and soon to have large payment)
Discover- 5.5, limit reduced to 6.1
Chase freedom- 900, limit is 1.5k
Barclay- 2, limit is 2.5 (also about to see a large payment)
Lowe's- 5.5, limit is 17k
Amazon- 2, limit is 6k
Boa- fluctuates btw 600 to 1200, limit is 2k

I've been focusing on paying down cap1, discover and nasa first but given how they've treated me, I'll probably focus elsewhere.

Definitely don't want to do a loan. I'll take my lumps but dammit, I really hate that I didn't get any warning or at least the chance to work with them to pay it off and then close it.

Ok, given the fact that a personal loan is off the table, all you can do is focus on paying your balances down as fast as you can. Now there are two things to take into consideration, interest and individual util. You want to pay as little interest as possible. So whatever, is not on 0% promo or very low apr, you want to try to get those paid off relatively fast. Also, keep in mind that Fico dings you for individual util of 10%/30%/50%/70%/90%. So, after Amex and Barclays receives their large payment, your next high util cards are Cap One(83%), Discover (90%) and Chase (60%). Discover has already cld once. So, I would definitely try to get that card down ASAP. I know sometimes it cannot be helped. But, it's really best to keep individual util under 49% even with a bt(for maximum Fico scoring 30%). I learned that the hard way with Barclays. Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly, yes. I didn't add the cards that don't have balances. I'm at 52% utilization overall.
Message 14 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I've been doing. Snowball method with undebt.it to help keep track. I was focusing on interest and usage percentages. I've been working on it for two months out of the four that it's been high. That's what has me shaking my head. It's literally been since March and now everyone has decided I'm the financial enemy. It's nuts.
Message 15 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey s**t happens. Any chance paying off NASA somehow now that it is closed and will be at 100% util?
Message 16 of 50
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's what I've been doing. Snowball method with undebt.it to help keep track. I was focusing on interest and usage percentages. I've been working on it for two months out of the four that it's been high. That's what has me shaking my head. It's literally been since March and now everyone has decided I'm the financial enemy. It's nuts.

Well since you don't magically have a lump sum of cash to pay everything off at once. Just do the best you can and keep plugging away at it. We have had a few members that just continued to pay their NASA card off even after it was closed without any AA from other lenders. So, in your situation that is really all you can do. So sorry this happened to you.

Message 17 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. Sadly I don't have a spare 11k hanging around. I wish I did!
Message 18 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as I keep paying, they won't come after me, right? I can only do so much with extra over the minimum but I really don't want to get thrown in collections.
Message 19 of 50
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
As long as I keep paying, they won't come after me, right? I can only do so much with extra over the minimum but I really don't want to get thrown in collections.

Not as long as you keep paying on time they cannot report you to collections. You will continue to get monthly statements. Just pay as much as you possibly can. You will continue to show maxed until you pay them off.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.