Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVY FED - Granddaughter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NAVY FED - Granddaughter?

OMG. I just thought of this. My grandfather was in the armed forces. But, that's it. He died 15 years ago.  Is it hard for granddaughters to get in?

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NAVY FED - Granddaughter?

Kitten,  I may be mistaken about this but I believe he would of had to been a member of Navy Federal,  not just in the armed forces.    I am a veteran of the Air Force and don't qualify for membership now as I did not have an account there while on active duty.

Like I said,  I may be mistaken though.

Message 2 of 41
js0319
Established Contributor

My grandfather retired from the Air Force back in the 1960's, and was never a member of NFCU. I was able to join through him. I had to provide his name and rank in the Air Force. I also informed them that he passed away in 2000, and because of that I couldn't provide any documentation. Considering the circumstances, it was enough to join. I did all of this via phone.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are still eligible Chief_Wahoo.
Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the misinformation Kitten.

Thank you for the update Yup.    I did not retire from the Air Force.   I only served for 10 years.   When I go to join it asks military affiliation,   Regular Active Duty, Reservist or National Guard, ROTC, Officer Candidate, Miltary academy or retired, receiving annuity.    Since I do not fall into any of these categories,  I do not see how I am able to join.  

I would love to join.   If I am missing something,  please point it out for me.  

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm...try calling and asking. It seems weird that they accept people with vague connections but not people who served 10 years. I'm sure they would still accept you but I guess we would have to find out.

Edit: I just checked with them and they said that generally you would not be eligible, but they can often try ways to "back door" you into membership.

Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had an online conversation and the person stated I am ineligible to join.   She said to call to see if I could join another way.   

Doug: Hello. I have a simple question.

Savannah: Hello! My name is Savannah. How may I help you today?

Doug: I would love to join but am unsure if I am able. I am a veteran of the Air Force who served 10 years but did not retire. Am I eligible to join?

Savannah: Veterans that did not retire from military service are not generally eligible for membership. However, you may be eligible by other means, so we request that you call us at 1-888-842-6328 to discuss your options.

Doug: thank you.

I did just phone and spoke to a girl by the name of Crystal and she said I am able to join since I served more than 4 years.   I might just need info off my DD214.   Now I need to find that or go to the local veterans office at my court house on Monday since I registered the document when I separated.  

Thank you so much Yup.  I appreciate the heads up.    I just joined and will wait to hear from them if they require more information.

Message 7 of 41
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

Kitten - if your grandfather retired you will be eligible. Just be prepared to have some identifying information such as a SS#. I joined that way but my grandfather was deceased, retired navy, dod navy worker after navy service retirement and a previous member.

Also YupYup you are incorrect, most service members that did not have lengthy careers and only were discharged are unable to join if they did not join while in.. while family of current/previous members and even roommates are considered qualified. Its probably not right considering it excludes those who should be entitled while outliers get in, but it is widely documented on this and other forums. Ive never heard the 4 year qualification mentioned above, but the reps are very nice and I am sure exceptions to the rules happen or new guidelines created.
Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you are getting in Doug. This may be part of my mini spree at the end of the month, doing some research. I was intially intrigued maybe this might be an option for a home loan in about 2 years, along with their higher CL could incourage my current humble CLs to be a little more competitive. I was looking at some of there other products, a 3.0% CD   : O  ! 

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My grandfather served in the airforce during WW2. I actually have no idea the length of his service. I am going to my grandmothers house for thanksgiving, I may make a few inquiries of my own.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.