Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVY ...FEDERAL...OMG

tag
Karunch
Contributor

Re: NAVY ...FEDERAL...OMG

Perhaps I will try this. My brother was set to deploy to Iraq in a few weeks, but that was just recently scrapped so he's looking at Afghanistan in January or February. So I guess I can just call him up and ask for whatever stuff they need from him...if you don't mind me asking, what all information did they ask you about him? 

From stories that I've read on this website, calling up and joining everyone seems to have a different experience.  As for me, I just had to tell them that my brother was active duty in the Army.  They didn't ask for any of his identifying info (name, SSN, etc.).  But YMMV, and you may have a different experience.  I had my brothers info ready when I called, just in case. 

Message 31 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had the luck other people do! I don't have any baddies on my reports, just a thin credit file. I got a cashRewards card from them 2-3 months ago with a 1500 limit. The phone rep said $15k first, then paused, sounded surprised, and corrected herself to $1.5k. It sounded like she was confused about the credit limit being so low. And I have an awful 18% APR on it.

My wife has some baddies/lates on her report, had a higher utilization % than me when she applied and her income is about a third of mine, but they gave her a 3.5k card with a better APR,

I talked so them on the phone last week and and they told me I should wait at least 6 months before asking for a CLI, so I'm stuck with a low limit and high APR. I guess they must just really not like me.

Message 32 of 36
grussell70
Contributor

i went on and applied for the Navcheck tonight around 10pm  over the phone got a preapproval for 15,000.00. i have to fax in my check stubbs and the wifes. also a bank statement for my wife and its a done deal. i LOVE PSECU, NFCU, and FEDEX credit unions. i should have left BOFA a lot sooner. I'm finished apping time for gardening. MYFICO has so much great information. i know my credit score will take a hit for the two knew accounts but my utilization will go down as well. can wait to see what my score look like.

Starting Score:05/02/2010- TU-589-EQ-549
Current Score: 02/13/2012- TU-711-EQ-675-EX-735
Goal Score: TU-750-EQ-700-EX-750
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 36
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Does NFCU do a hard pull when you join? I think I may wait a while anyway since the primary reason for wanting to join is for a CC, and right now I just have way too much activity (3 new accounts getting ready to report, bunch of inquiries, etc.).

Question...what is this Navcheck people are referencing? I'm completely new to this, so forgive my ignorance!

Photobucket
Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FloridaState12 wrote:

Does NFCU do a hard pull when you join? I think I may wait a while anyway since the primary reason for wanting to join is for a CC, and right now I just have way too much activity (3 new accounts getting ready to report, bunch of inquiries, etc.).

Question...what is this Navcheck people are referencing? I'm completely new to this, so forgive my ignorance!

I can't answer about the HP, but NavCheck/NavChek is their Overdraft Line of Credit

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/checking-savings/overdraft-line-of-credit.php

Message 35 of 36
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Recent member experience on here seems to suggest a HP for membership now. I would join as quickly as you can just to establish a relationship with them. All you need at minimum is a $5.00 share account in savings. But their checking is free and if you can establish any kind of direct deposit with them it seems to make a difference on future credit product decisions. But in any event just having the account open means less hoops to jump through when you are ready to apply for a credit product.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.