Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBA American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NBA American Express

I called to close my account, as I don't foresee myself using the account as much as I thought I would, and they offered me either bonus points or waiving the annual fee for the first year right off the bat without transferring me to retentions, so it's worth a try to call and see what you can get.

I just called the number on the back of the card.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NBA American Express

@Anonymous wrote:
I called to close my account, as I don't foresee myself using the account as much as I thought I would, and they offered me either bonus points or waiving the annual fee for the first year right off the bat without transferring me to retentions, so it's worth a try to call and see what you can get.

I just called the number on the back of the card.

Did you keep the card open?  It wouldn't make much sense to immediately close it because it's still going to report on your credit file.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, they were only offering me 2500 points, which is equivalent to $25, so I asked them to waive the annual fee for the first year, which is a $50 value. I'll review next year and see if it's worth keeping.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, it's worth noting that the CSR said that if I closed the account, I had 30 days to re-open the account. I asked if they would pull my credit again, and he said no.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Also, it's worth noting that the CSR said that if I closed the account, I had 30 days to re-open the account. I asked if they would pull my credit again, and he said no.

Well I would take their assertion that you can reopen and it won't be another HP with a grain of salt.  From what I've read about this bank, their CSRs are not the most informed (not that any are).  There just isn't any reason to close the account as far as I can tell.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's very true. In the meantime, I'll get my free year and my 10,000 points for $500 spend in the first three months, and be on my merry way.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That's very true. In the meantime, I'll get my free year and my 10,000 points for $500 spend in the first three months, and be on my merry way.

That's the approach to take.

Message 7 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the approach to take.

Is this the same BBVA card? Oh wait, how are you going to get to $500?

(Disclaimer: I didn't app for this card.)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.