NCFU Eligibility

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: NCFU Eligibility

@guiness56 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

Well, if you get a new credit card from any bank and then charge up to the limit on the first day that you activated it, that will probably set an alert with the bank too.

Flagging someone who does not directly meet eligibility requirments and has opened 3 large lines of credit on the day they applied for membership does not seem all that unusual to me.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions.  OP said nothing about charging the new cards to the limit.  OP is directly eligible otherwise the OP wouldn't have passed the review.  In any case, this page includes the following group as eligible: https://www.navyfederal.org/about/eligibility-checklist.php

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

I don't think he was making assumptions, just an overall statement of how banks work in general.

If they were directly eligible, the accounts would not have been frozen until they showed proof of eligibilty.  Whenever your membership is based on that of someone elses eligibility, you are indirectly eligible, as is the case here.

Thanks guiness, I was actually going to let it go and stop commenting in this thread, but yes, that is exactly the point that I was trying to make.  Its a lot of requests for new credit on the first day of membership for someone claiming to be indirectly eligible.  It's not that OP intended to do anything illegitimate, only that it has set kind of a red flag and NFCU wanted to verify to be sure that this new applicant was not taking advantage of them.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 14
jboy1972
New Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

Well, if you get a new credit card from any bank and then charge up to the limit on the first day that you activated it, that will probably set an alert with the bank too.

Flagging someone who does not directly meet eligibility requirments and has opened 3 large lines of credit on the day they applied for membership does not seem all that unusual to me.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions.  OP said nothing about charging the new cards to the limit.  OP is directly eligible otherwise the OP wouldn't have passed the review.  In any case, this page includes the following group as eligible: https://www.navyfederal.org/about/eligibility-checklist.php

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

I don't think he was making assumptions, just an overall statement of how banks work in general.

If they were directly eligible, the accounts would not have been frozen until they showed proof of eligibilty.  Whenever your membership is based on that of someone elses eligibility, you are indirectly eligible, as is the case here.

Thanks guiness, I was actually going to let it go and stop commenting in this thread, but yes, that is exactly the point that I was trying to make.  Its a lot of requests for new credit on the first day of membership for someone claiming to be indirectly eligible.  It's not that OP intended to do anything illegitimate, only that it has set kind of a red flag and NFCU wanted to verify to be sure that this new applicant was not taking advantage of them.

Thats why I feel strongly about getting there membership Dept. to step up there game. A few clicks of a yes and no answers make you eligible or not. I feel they are working backwards as to how they move forward with becoming a member. I think the only CU that thoroughly vet there members are DCU and some other places. applying for credit should'nt be this hard, even if your eligible directly or indirectly.

NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 12 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It may make you eligible based on the answers you gave.  But they would be falling short of their job by NOT making you prove who you say you are and the member whose membership you are using. 

I wouldn't want someone using my name getting a membership without some type of proof.

It is unfortunate the time it may take to get approved but a necessary step.

Message 13 of 14
redrobin5

I did not take offense to the post about being flagged.  As a matter of fact I understand it.   As I said we were told that due to the large volume of memberships that have come in recently (I think they were running a membership promotion of some sort) they are checking applications closely.  And you are right we did app for credit right away though not all on the first day Smiley Happy  that was the reason we wanted to join.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.