Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED ADVICE FIRST NATIONAL BANK PRE-APPROVAL

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

NEED ADVICE FIRST NATIONAL BANK PRE-APPROVAL

Need the advice of the Myfico crew on this one.Every once in a while I get a pre-approval in the mail for a shiny new credit card.Just about all of them have been subprime companies.Got one of those yesterday and straight to the shredder it went.Today I received another pre-approval but I'm not familar with this company.

Its from First National Bank Omaha and the card is a rewards American Express card. 0 APR on purchases until january 2014.Same for balance transfers.Then goes up to 15.99 APR. No preset spending limit. No annual fee.

Now here is my question. Is this a subprime card/company?

Are they connected to American Express?

Are they credit score focused?

I owe a past debt to American Express and would have to pay them off in order to get off the Blacklist. I do know that some companies do have the American Express emblem on their cards but are not financially connected to American Express and my past debt would not be an issue.

Is this company connected to American Express financially?

Thank you for your advice

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: NEED ADVICE FIRST NATIONAL PRE-APPROVAL

Any advice?

Goal 750 Across

Message 2 of 12
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

HELP!!

Goal 750 Across

Message 3 of 12
joeyh2007
New Contributor

Ooops, need to edit original post. I have FNBO, in my signature it's Astoria Federal Savings, but FNBO issues the card. After 6 months, will not grow.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 4 of 12
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I believe each app is submitted for manual review as well. Not sure you would have any issues with AMEX since the card is backed by FNBO and not AMEX. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 12
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

My first card. Started at $500, but I also got rid of it.

so the current card was the one you had for 6 years or not? 

(i seen your post before you edited it maybe misread the First Financial for First National??)

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 6 of 12
kekrre
Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Need the advice of the Myfico crew on this one.Every once in a while I get a pre-approval in the mail for a shiny new credit card.Just about all of them have been subprime companies.Got one of those yesterday and straight to the shredder it went.Today I received another pre-approval but I'm not familar with this company.

Its from First National Bank Omaha and the card is a rewards American Express card. 0 APR on purchases until january 2014.Same for balance transfers.Then goes up to 15.99 APR. No preset spending limit. No annual fee.

Now here is my question. Is this a subprime card/company?

Are they connected to American Express?

Are they credit score focused?

I owe a past debt to American Express and would have to pay them off in order to get off the Blacklist. I do know that some companies do have the American Express emblem on their cards but are not financially connected to American Express and my past debt would not be an issue.

Is this company connected to American Express financially?

Thank you for your advice

FNBO is not connected to Amex and will not know anything that's not on your credit report.

FNBO is a large (the largest?) private bank in the US, based out of... Omaha. People seem to like them/get good service (I have no dealings with them). Their Amex (no AF) is right on par with the USAA and pretty handsome. It's not the greatest deal in the world, but I believe FNBO is a conservative lender.

They do quite a bit of mailing. Their preapproval package for the Amex really makes you feel like you've "arrived". They are the only non-subprime issuer of Discover that I'm aware of (but I'm not aware of a lot), and their Discover card interests me.

They also offer a direct bank, FNBO Direct, which seems on par with ING Direct/Capital One 360 and offers a basic rewards Visa.

|||||||
Message 7 of 12
joeyh2007
New Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

(i seen your post before you edited it)

You caught me when I was getting confused. I saw the bank and thought it was another bank. I edited my original post to reflect my current relationship with FNBO.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex EP $1000, CSP: $12500, Citi Hilton Honors Visa Signature: $15000, First Financial Bank: $11500, Discover More: $12000, Barclays Apple Financing: $6600, Macy's: $1000

Business: Chase Ink Cash World Mastercard: $5000

In my SD: CapOne $3000
Message 8 of 12
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

(i seen your post before you edited it)

You caught me when I was getting confused. I saw the bank and thought it was another bank. I edited my original post to reflect my current relationship with FNBO.

hahaha, i do it all the time. i was just curious. 

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 9 of 12
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Thank you for your responses.So this card is not subprime but not prime either? Is does look attractive and I have until febuary to decide if I want to app. I'm curious to know if this card would appear on my credit report as an American Express card? I did go on whogavemecredit, and the responses were mixed but mostly positive and most all the credit limits were about $5-8K for people with my credit scores. Sounds interesting!!

Goal 750 Across

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.