Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED YOUR HELP!

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

NEED YOUR HELP!

If I apply for 5 cards online at the same time, will those 5 (or 4) lenders be able to see each other's inquiries?

Since my credit history is short, the impact of an inquiry will be high on my score and hence, i'm afraid of getting denied.

I'm getting myself ready for the application spree in January. These are the 5 cards I was planning to apply for:

1) Amex BCE

2) A U.S. bank CC

3) Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard

4) Probably Chase Freedom (or any other chase card)

5) Any USAA CC

In addition to the above, I will request for 60 days 3X CLI on my current Amex

What do you think my order of applying these cards should be? My goal is to get approved for as many cards as possible so even if the above lenders could see the inquiries, I want to make sure I get approved for as many as possible.

EQ FICO is 690.

Lastly, are there any specific CCs you would recommend me offered by above banks (considering my score)? Thanks in advance!

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: NEED YOUR HELP!

We need some more info.  How "thin" is your file.  Any other baddies on your CR? How many inquiries? Why do you want those particular cards and is there one you want more than the others?

I know Citi and I believe US Bank are inquiry sensitive so they should be sooner on your order of apps.  The inquiry will be on your CR almost immediately.  So you need to see which CR these particular cards pull in your area.  USAA (are you a full or partial member?)  Do you have any banking relationships with these bank?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Thanks Duncanrr.

Total 9 months of history. Currently have these cards:

1) Chase South West Airline $8,500

2) Amex Delta $1,000

3) Commerce Bank $500

4) Capital One $300

Have 7 inquiries total. No baddies. I'm indifferent between these cards so there's no order of preference. My goal is to get high limits. Income is around $85,000.

Not a member of USAA yet. I can even forgo USAA if I'm getting all other cards.

Hope this helps!

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 3 of 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

You need to grow a lil bit more with your current cards. maybe wait till its hit one year. 

You can convert your Delta to BCE by simple phone call . please let your current acc age a lil bit but if u can waste an Inquiry then shoot. Others vCard good for reward an Usaa excellent for credit limit.

Goodluck

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 7
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

Thanks Duncanrr.

Total 9 months of history. Currently have these cards:

1) Chase South West Airline $8,500

2) Amex Delta $1,000

3) Commerce Bank $500

4) Capital One $300

Have 7 inquiries total. No baddies. I'm indifferent between these cards so there's no order of preference. My goal is to get high limits. Income is around $85,000.

Not a member of USAA yet. I can even forgo USAA if I'm getting all other cards.

Hope this helps!

Have you tried for a 3x CLI on your Delta card if its past the 61 day point?  Chase, unlike other lenders, has an internal maximum credit limit across all cards for a particular individual.  Its  very easy to move CL's between the cards though.  Two concerns I have is that your file is really thin and Im not as knowledgeable about thin files as others here so I would wait for some others to chime in; and how are your inquiries distributed? (how many on EQ, EX and TU)

Are you able to qualify as Full member at USAA? Are you eligible for membership at NFCU?  If the answers to these are yes and you are seeking to build up your CL's then I would apply with these.  If not, I wouldn't bother with USAA (personal preference for me but if I can't be full member then I don't want to be a second class member in terms of USAA products I'm eligible for).

My personal order of preference for apps (if you can't get USAA or NFCU) would be as follows:

AMEX BCE - its a SP if declined.

US Bank or Citi Diamond (look up which one is easier to get for thin files and go with that one)

Chase Freedom (you already have a good CL with them and this card will probably be much lower.  I would get this card and depending on your Initial CL, maybe transfer some of your balance from your other Chase card to this one.)

With your thin file, I wouldn't app for more than 3 cards at this point.  Also, you may want to look at Walmart GE backed card and maybe a Discover card as they are thin file friendly from what I remember reading.

(Any other guys want to pitch into this?)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

ummm... Was Chase's Computer on the frits the day you applied?? $8500?!!! That is amazing!

I would do the 3x Amex and then wait for that to update to credit if approved... you need a couple cards in my opinion with higher limits to continue forward with best chance for other high limits.

and USAA or Navy if you can get into... That is the #1 direction I would go.

Message 6 of 7
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

I'm not eligible for NFCU so that's out of question. I can't be a full member of USAA.

So I think my best bet would be to go for banks.

Which Citi, Chase & U.S. bank cards would you suggest me to go for (considering my credit profile)?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.