NEW: Discover it Miles Credit Card

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: NEW: Discover it Miles Credit Card

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Without getting too personal, if you have no mortgage or rent, being able to spend $6k in a month seems extraordinary to me. I'm not critiquing anyone's lifestyle or habits, but it just seems really high and, to the point of the discussion, is certainly not representative of an average couple/household.

Point is, it's certainly not for everyone to be able to spend that much/justify a CSP or such other cards.

The same way that to me someone who spends 30-50K/mo on CC would seem extraordinary to me. With an HHI of over $110K/yr and no mortgage to speak of.

Suddenly $3-5K/mo on CC's isn't all that farfetched at all.

Typically these are business owners, at least from what Ive seen on this site. What I think youre speaking of are Real Housewives of Orange County type spending, lets face it, that demographic isnt on this site.

You just dashed all my high hopes !!

OK back to the internetz.

Message 301 of 488
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is off topic at this point, but:

Discover DOES still offer Chrome.  If you go to Discover It Student (which is the Chrome card), then click on "Not a Student" it redirects to the regular It Chrome page.  You can also still get to the Discover It Student (with 5% rotating categories) the same way (click on Discover It Students 5% cash back).

Screencap

The It Chrome doesn't have appeal TO ME but a lot of people like the card, so if anyone was disappointed that it was gone, that's how you get to it.  It's there.

Message 302 of 488
Anonymous
Not applicable

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Without getting too personal, if you have no mortgage or rent, being able to spend $6k in a month seems extraordinary to me. I'm not critiquing anyone's lifestyle or habits, but it just seems really high and, to the point of the discussion, is certainly not representative of an average couple/household.

Point is, it's certainly not for everyone to be able to spend that much/justify a CSP or such other cards.

The same way that to me someone who spends 30-50K/mo on CC would seem extraordinary to me. With an HHI of over $110K/yr and no mortgage to speak of.

Typically these are business owners, at least from what Ive seen on this site. What I think youre speaking of are Real Housewives of Orange County type spending, lets face it, that demographic isnt on this site.

you see big spender's post on this forum once in a while, talking about how much they spend going out one night and stuff, but the thing is, people with money don't really tend to brag about their extravagant money spending.

Message 303 of 488
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

You just dashed all my high hopes !!

OK back to the internetz.

Lol. Orange county housewife spending I figure is more on the order of 15-25K/mo. With a mortgage that's at least half that amount. We ain't there yet. Smiley Tongue

Message 304 of 488
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

you see big spender's post on this forum once in a while, talking about how much they spend going out one night and stuff, but the thing is, people with money don't really tend to brag about their extravagant money spending.

Yep.

Our level of spend seems very typical of 6 figure household to me. I didn't realize we deviated that much from the norm to be honest. Smiley Indifferent

Message 305 of 488
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Not you Nixon, necessarily, but if someone is spending more than they should with expensive habits, they are losing way more money than they are gaining in rewards.

If I spend $1000 extra a month on things I don't need with my CC to get some extra rewards, I would have been better off saving my $1000 and getting 100% of it, vs. spending $1000 to get 5% of it back in rewards.

Again it's not my place to critique anyone's lifestyle, just an observation that the chase for rewards can lead to overspending which defeats the entire purpose of rewards to me. Rewards are great for money I'd already spend. Spending extra to get more of them makes no sense.

What does this even mean?  "Expensive habits" are relative and individual: I would never buy an even modestly expensive car or designer clothes, but we buy our groceries at WholeFoods and sent out kids to (IMO very!) expensive private schools, others would make the opposite choices, or do all of them.   Unless someone is getting into debt, and there is no evidence of that in Nixon's case, they aren't in any real-world way spending more than they should.

And saying "it is not my place to critique" while in effect doing exactly that doesn't really work!

Message 306 of 488
northface28
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Which is usually why I dont believe them, everyone makes 6 figures, has a beautiful mansion which they paid cash for, and a loving marriage on the internet.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 307 of 488
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Our level of spend seems very typical of 6 figure household to me. I didn't realize we deviated that much from the norm to be honest. Smiley Indifferent

6 figure household? WOW. You have over 100,000 people living in your house? Dang! Smiley Very Happy

Message 308 of 488
northface28
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yep.

I suggest you read about the middle class then, bud. Smiley Wink

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 309 of 488
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It means that spending more than you should on stuff you don't need to get rewards is pointless.

"Expensive habits" was referring more to frivolous things vs. private schools and fancy groceries. Those are just individual choices, some feel private school is worth the money, organic stuff from Whole Foods is worth it, and that's fine. It's expensive, but it's not "frivolous".

If I go out and spend $1000 extra a month on let's just say a bunch of new clothes, shoes, or some other thing that is considered a necessity but don't need to purchase every month, month after month after month, that's an expensive habit that is costing me a ton vs. what I'm getting in so called "rewards". Again, as I stated originally, "not you Nixon" meant, I wasn't saying he's in debt or doing any of that, but there's the very real possibility that some people stretch their spending to get more rewards which I contend makes no sense.

Message 310 of 488
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.