NEW: Discover it Miles Credit Card

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: NEW: Discover it Miles Credit Card

@14Fiesta wrote:

WEEEE MOAR CARDS!

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/miles/

This card looks like it's competing with Cap 1 Venture One, or possibly QS if point value is 1:1

No annual fee either, what do you guys and gals think?

Little late to the party, but analysts said they were coming out with new card.  Now, I wonder about Costco, or will it be a Chase or Citi play?

Signature needs updating
Message 361 of 488
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I like that they don't pull any crap with devaluing the miles when you redeem for cash. So it is truly 1.5% no matter what.

At least for the first year, that'd be nice for me for my infrequent travel. Too bad I am gardening!!

If it's a good card, it will still be there when done gardening.

Signature needs updating
Message 362 of 488
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Exactly. I am resisting, don't worry. I want a decent limit when I get this.
Message 363 of 488
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CarbonCard wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's very smart because it gives a bonus to those who will use it as a main card and not "pump and dump".

Discover should make this a "we'll 5x your accumluated miles if you stay with us for 5 years." hahaha Smiley Very Happy

It'd still take 5 years to get $20,000 CB from that.

Not too shabby actually.

Better than you would get from a 5 year CD right now...

My final thoughts with this card, although it's marketed as a "miles"card, in reality its a pure CB card. It's the redemption method that I see most people using it for. This card cannot be compared to Arrival or the likes because they are only 1% CB with penalty plus they have an AF. They are travel cards. This card is directly competing with the QS, and other flat CB cards with no annual fee.

If Costco picks Discover for exclusive CCC, this should be the card to have for shopping there. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 364 of 488
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is this thread still a thing?!?!

Hey, it totally brightened my day at work (soooo sloowwww) for the last hour or so!! 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 365 of 488
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Crap Discover also pulled EX. Ugh..
Message 366 of 488
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

Thought you froze it.

Message 367 of 488
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:

EX and EQ?  Or just EX

Message 368 of 488
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Sorry to hear that. And I saw a while back that they pulled EQ for someone that they had always pulled TU from. I'm gonna hold off on this card for a while if that's the case.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 369 of 488
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

WEEEE MOAR CARDS!

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/miles/

This card looks like it's competing with Cap 1 Venture One, or possibly QS if point value is 1:1

No annual fee either, what do you guys and gals think?

Beaten by OP, findng out that all redemptions count the same (unlike Venture or Arrival, although they of course offer more)

So this is basically a 1.5% card: Less HP than Cap One QS, but also accepted in fewer places.

From my reading its actually a 3% card at least for the first year in that after 12 months they double the points you receieved in the first year. beyond the first year I agree. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 370 of 488
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.