cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEWSFLASH: Capital One Secured MC graduation possible!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NEWSFLASH: Capital One Secured MC graduation possible!

@gdale6 wrote:

Would be good to know if it is going to report as a new account or if the unsecured will retain the opening date of the secured.

B7: Did this ever get determined with your friend now that presumably a statement and a bureau report have passed?  I would assume it's like everyone else's secured graduation but this is a brand new thing for C1 hard to say for sure.

        
Message 21 of 43
brother7
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Would be good to know if it is going to report as a new account or if the unsecured will retain the opening date of the secured.

B7: Did this ever get determined with your friend now that presumably a statement and a bureau report have passed?  I would assume it's like everyone else's secured graduation but this is a brand new thing for C1 hard to say for sure.

Opened: 12/31/2015

Graduation email received: 11/29/2016

CLI requested: 12/24/2016 (approved increase from 500 to 1000)

Credit Karma updated: 12/28/2016

From the latest Credit Karma update:

Opened date is still 12/31/2015

Credit Limit shows the new 1000 limit (in other words, after the graduation date)

Based on that, it looks like a Capital One Secured card will report the original Opened date when it graduates.

ADDENDUM: I wanted to add that on 12/29/2016, exactly 1 month after graduation, she successfuly requested a product change from Platinum to Quicksilver (no AF).

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 22 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great to hear!  I was getting ready to close my account as well, which I've had since 10/2015, but I'll give it a few more months to see what happens.  More than once I've thought it would be cool to have a path to a QS without taking that heinous triple pull.  With  a little patience, it looks like that's possible.  *stays in the garden for now*

Message 23 of 43
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing this info with us
Message 24 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to close this card but now I will hold out hope it will graduate. Had it since Oct 2015. Will give it like 6 more months and if I don't graduate will probably close it. Thanks for sharing this. 

Message 25 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so ready to get rid of this card. The limit is so low on it I cant really do anything with it. I really hope they graduate mines soon. Otherwise I will probably close it too

Message 26 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

There must be a lot of folks on these forums that have Cap1 secured cards.  Hopefully, we'll hear of some more graduating.

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently did a chat with them to see if i'm eligible yet, nope. I've had the secured since 4/2013. On the fence on what to do, hold onto or close and app for the unsecured. They did approve me for a QS1 in 5/2016 which i've already seen a cli on. I'm getting better offers now and the unsecured platinum seems to be a dead end road at ths point, especially with no assurance that it will graduate in a week, month, year or ever.  Like many have stated, it seems to be hit and miss with whom they are graduating for.

Message 28 of 43
LadyCupcakes
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently did a chat with them to see if i'm eligible yet, nope. I've had the secured since 4/2013. On the fence on what to do, hold onto or close and app for the unsecured. They did approve me for a QS1 in 5/2016 which i've already seen a cli on. I'm getting better offers now and the unsecured platinum seems to be a dead end road at ths point, especially with no assurance that it will graduate in a week, month, year or ever.  Like many have stated, it seems to be hit and miss with whom they are graduating for.

Sounds almost identical to me. Got my card Feb 2015 with $250 that won't ever grow.  Per chat a couple weeks ago, no offer to graduate.  Oddly, the CSR seemed all too eager to help me close the account so I could reapply for unsecured card.  My plan is in February before the AF hits, gonna just it out.  Not worth waiting around for another 2 years "will they/won't they".  

BK Ch7 Filed 3/24/2023 ; Est Discharge Date: 6/23/2023
FICO Scores as of 4/19/2023: EX-559, TU-459, EQ-487

FICO Scores as of 6/17/2023: EX-573, TU-551, EQ-615
Car loan with a 5.9% APR reaffirmed
Burned Cap1, Citi, Amex, Synch, Commenity, BOA, Mercury, Discover, Upstart.
Message 29 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

After requsting a CLI for the CapOne Secured card and getting an instant denial, I did recieve a small CLI in a month or so. So there is a chance they'll notice your account.

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.