Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU APR Reduction

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

NFCU APR Reduction

I sent NFCU a SM asking if they could check my Platinum MasterCard to see if I was eligible for a lower rate.  I was at a respectable 10.99% and was hoping to get a couple points knocked off that; my reduction last year was 1%. ( I sent a SM last week but I was a few days too early; honestly I forgot about it until today.)

After an hour or so they replied that my new APR is 6.99%Smiley Very Happy

While not a big deal (I seldom carry a balance) it's nice to have the option to do so at a low rate.  It's also a personal best for me... I've never had a rate this low before.  Smiley Happy

I seldom use the card (due to lack of rewards) and I had considered changing it to a Cash Rewards but I think I'll leave it as a Platinum.  I have enough other rewards cards and while I would like to give Navy more of my swipes they seem to be happy with the current arrangement (and so am I).  For reference, my EQ FICO 9 as reported by NFCU is 775.

Hopefully the data point will help others.  Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU APR Reduction

Nice!!! I've been wanting to app for that Platinum MasterCard for the 6.99%, awesome to get that on your existing card. I LOVE NFCU!!!!

Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome job UncleBSmiley Happy. I think its important to have a card with low apr and that is separate from reward cards. Reward cards abound a plenty but good ol fashion credit cards like the Plat are not so much. This is a good card for future bt or carrying a balance from time to time if need. Well deservedSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome! Nice to know if you do need to carry a balance, you’ve got a low Apr card 😀

Message 4 of 13
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I sent NFCU a SM asking if they could check my Platimum MasterCard to see if I was eligible for a lower rate.  I was at a respectable 10.99% and was hoping to get a couple points knocked off that; my reduction last year was 1%. ( I sent a SM last week but I was a few days too early; honestly I forgot about it until today.)

While not a big deal (I seldom carry a balance) it's nice to have the option to do so at a low rate.  It's also a personal best for me... I've never had a rate this low before.  Smiley Happy

I seldom use the card (due to lack of rewards) and I had considered changing it to a Cash Rewards but I think I'll leave it as a Platinum.  I have enough other rewards cards and while I would live to give Navy more of my swipes they seem to be happy with the current arrangment (and so am I).  For reference, my EQ FICO 9 as reported by NFCU is 775.

**bleep**.. And i was loving my 8.4x card....

With that kinda APR you dont *care* if it has rewards.. the rewards are what your saving on interest... I could see intentional usage for a large purchase or the yah know hitting the oscillating air moving device... That card would have a place in my wallet thats for sure..

Hoping for a future loophole with Navy... would have gotten it but was waiting for scores to go up and a few pulls to age... Hindsight is always 20/20

Congrats..

-J

Message 5 of 13
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

VERY NICE UNCLE B!! Well Done, and the Plat is is a great fall back card, and a BT card. Its nice to keep around if needed Smiley Happy Congrats !
Message 6 of 13
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I sent NFCU a SM asking if they could check my Platimum MasterCard to see if I was eligible for a lower rate.  I was at a respectable 10.99% and was hoping to get a couple points knocked off that; my reduction last year was 1%. ( I sent a SM last week but I was a few days too early; honestly I forgot about it until today.)

**bleep**.. And i was loving my 8.4x card....

With that kinda APR you dont *care* if it has rewards.. the rewards are what your saving on interest... I could see intentional usage for a large purchase or the yah know hitting the oscillating air moving device...

That's one of the reasons I have the NFCU Platinum.  If I'm ever going to carry a balance, that is certainly where it will land.  On top of the regular low rate, that card is also known for 0%, $0 fee transfers being available often.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want one.  Our best is Amex BCP at 13.xx

Message 8 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I sent NFCU a SM asking if they could check my Platinum MasterCard to see if I was eligible for a lower rate.  I was at a respectable 10.99% and was hoping to get a couple points knocked off that; my reduction last year was 1%. ( I sent a SM last week but I was a few days too early; honestly I forgot about it until today.)

I seldom use the card (due to lack of rewards) and I had considered changing it to a Cash Rewards but I think I'll leave it as a Platinum.  I have enough other rewards cards and while I would like to give Navy more of my swipes they seem to be happy with the current arrangement (and so am I).  For reference, my EQ FICO 9 as reported by NFCU is 775.

That's awesome, UncleB - congratulations!

I was thinking about apping for this card in 6-10 months. I'm not interested in their Amex card at all.  I'm looking for another solid base card with no fee, for when I shed a few cards next year. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the amazing APR reduction UncleB!  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.