Did you mean: 

NFCU Amex Master thread. All posts go here

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Amex Master thread. All posts go here

I think this is the best feature of the card:

• Rewards Limit: None

So you can charge up all your groceries and gas on the card and get 3 percent back.  Seems to make the BCE pretty worthless for other than department stores.  Combine this with Go Rewards and get 3 percent on dinning, groceries, and gas.  I don't want to waste a new account on a card without a big bonus so I will pass for now but those not into bonus chasing this is a great card. 
Message 71 of 229
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

My quick assessment of the new NFCU More Rewards:

-- I wish it were Visa instead of Amex.  It will be mostly useless overseas.

-- I wish it had a signup bonus.  It doesn't, even though NFCU has offered signup bonuses on other cards recently.

-- I am disappointed to see that the rewards program is being run by TSYS, the same vendor who runs the Flagship Rewards and Go Rewards programs.  I had hoped that part of the NFCU-Amex deal would be to use Amex's LoyaltyEdge subsidiary to design a new and innovative rewards program for NFCU.  That didn't happen.

-- The 3% for both groceries and gas is a wee bit better than the Amex BCE which gives 3% for groceries and 2% for gas.

-- The new card has a high minimum redemption, $50.  At my rate of spending, $3000 groceries and $300 gas per year, i would only be able to redeem once every 6 or 7 months.  High minimum redemptions are what soured me on both Go Rewards ($50) and Amex BCE ($25) last year.  I prefer the NFCU cashRewards redemption policy of any amount any time.

-- Rewards are based on "points" which can be devalued.  The points can't be combined across other NFCU cards.

-- The overall rewards redemption scheme (travel, merchandise, gift cards, pay with points, cash back) is every bit as complicated as Go Rewards, despite the bold press release in May 2017 that this card would have a simple, easy to understand rewards program.  In fact, More Rewards looks like almost a carbon copy of Go Rewards with groceries substituted for dining as the lead bonus category.

My verdict:  I'm going to pass on the More Rewards card.  I'll continue to use PenFed Power Cash Rewards for groceries and gas. Although I'll earn 2%  on Power Cash vice 3% on More Rewards, the dollar difference will only be $33 a year, too low an amount to endure the hassle of managing More Rewards.

+1!!

I already get 3% groceries with BCE hitting the $25 threshold only spending $834 with NFCU would have to spend $1,667. 

Plus I get 5% on gas with USAA Amex.

Plus I get 2.5% on everything else with my other USAA card.

This card will be attractive to some, but it is a dud for me.

I really wished it had been (1) a Cash Back card because understanding points and their cash equivalent value is difficult for me, and (2) competitive with the USAA Limitless.

BCE limits you to 6k spending on groceries.  So if you spent exactly 6k on the BCE You would only get 30 dollars a year over just using your limitless for groceries.  Seems pretty pointless to get a BCE with this card out there.  If you are spending less than 6k and have limitless why even bother with the BCE. Just use the Limitless for everything much simpler. 

Message 72 of 229
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

My quick assessment of the new NFCU More Rewards:

-- I wish it were Visa instead of Amex.  It will be mostly useless overseas.

-- I wish it had a signup bonus.  It doesn't, even though NFCU has offered signup bonuses on other cards recently.

-- I am disappointed to see that the rewards program is being run by TSYS, the same vendor who runs the Flagship Rewards and Go Rewards programs.  I had hoped that part of the NFCU-Amex deal would be to use Amex's LoyaltyEdge subsidiary to design a new and innovative rewards program for NFCU.  That didn't happen.

-- The 3% for both groceries and gas is a wee bit better than the Amex BCE which gives 3% for groceries and 2% for gas.

-- The new card has a high minimum redemption, $50.  At my rate of spending, $3000 groceries and $300 gas per year, i would only be able to redeem once every 6 or 7 months.  High minimum redemptions are what soured me on both Go Rewards ($50) and Amex BCE ($25) last year.  I prefer the NFCU cashRewards redemption policy of any amount any time.

-- Rewards are based on "points" which can be devalued.  The points can't be combined across other NFCU cards.

-- The overall rewards redemption scheme (travel, merchandise, gift cards, pay with points, cash back) is every bit as complicated as Go Rewards, despite the bold press release in May 2017 that this card would have a simple, easy to understand rewards program.  In fact, More Rewards looks like almost a carbon copy of Go Rewards with groceries substituted for dining as the lead bonus category.

My verdict:  I'm going to pass on the More Rewards card.  I'll continue to use PenFed Power Cash Rewards for groceries and gas. Although I'll earn 2%  on Power Cash vice 3% on More Rewards, the dollar difference will only be $33 a year, too low an amount to endure the hassle of managing More Rewards.

+1!!

I already get 3% groceries with BCE hitting the $25 threshold only spending $834 with NFCU would have to spend $1,667. 

Plus I get 5% on gas with USAA Amex.

Plus I get 2.5% on everything else with my other USAA card.

This card will be attractive to some, but it is a dud for me.

I really wished it had been (1) a Cash Back card because understanding points and their cash equivalent value is difficult for me, and (2) competitive with the USAA Limitless.

BCE limits you to 6k spending on groceries.  So if you spent exactly 6k on the BCE You would only get 30 dollars a year over just using your limitless for groceries.  Seems pretty pointless to get a BCE with this card out there.  If you are spending less than 6k and have limitless why even bother with the BCE. Just use the Limitless for everything much simpler. 

Please reread my post. I said I already have the BCE.

Plus, I personally never have to worry about $6k cap, as I don't spend anywhere near $6k a year. Which is also why I didn't app for the BCP nor have I upgraded to it even with a new bonus being offered. Doesn't make sense for me.

I said: This card will be attractive to some, but it is a dud for me.

Please read my post again. 

Message 73 of 229
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting thread. Since AmX will never let me back in again, this might be an option at a later time. I do like buying those show tickets and miss having an AmX for that. Thanks for the thread!

Message 74 of 229
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

What you're describing sounds a lot like the Cap1 rewards program, which TSYS also does, along with the other NFCU programs you mentioned.

All of those things (rules) are decided by the issuer.  Granted, it's a collaborative process, but in the end TSYS implements what they ask.

Disclaimer: TSYS pays my mortgage

Ha!  That explains why I like the NFCU cashRewards loyalty program so much.  It's a carbon copy of the Capital One Quicksilver loyalty program.  I didn't realize that both programs were designed by the same vendor.  And it's the only NFCU rewards program that doesn't use "points."

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 75 of 229
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card

Has anyone been approved yet for the new Navy Federal AMEX Credit card??  I am just seeing this new card pop up under their credit cards option 

If so, can you share data points

Message 76 of 229
Anonymous
Not applicable

#meh
Message 77 of 229
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

What you're describing sounds a lot like the Cap1 rewards program, which TSYS also does, along with the other NFCU programs you mentioned.

All of those things (rules) are decided by the issuer.  Granted, it's a collaborative process, but in the end TSYS implements what they ask.

Disclaimer: TSYS pays my mortgage

Ha!  That explains why I like the NFCU cashRewards loyalty program so much.  It's a carbon copy of the Capital One Quicksilver loyalty program.  I didn't realize that both programs were designed by the same vendor.  And it's the only NFCU rewards program that doesn't use "points."

I am glad they dont use points. I redeem when I want and have done so this year. The rewards rack up quickly if you put everything on it for couple months(and PIF)!

Message 78 of 229
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Applied .. went 24hr ... I'm probably gonna get declined again ...lol

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 79 of 229
galahad15
Valued Contributor

While I would not personally app for this card, I can see though how it could be very useful for others though.

Message 80 of 229
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.