Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Amex Master thread. All posts go here

Looks like another go rewards type card. Probably a good card if someone wanted a trifecta with Navy and didnt want Flagship. Its tuff to please this crowd lolSmiley Wink
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MrDisco99 wrote:

UpperNwGuy wrote:

-- I am disappointed to see that the rewards program is being run by TSYS, the same vendor who runs the Flagship Rewards and Go Rewards programs.  I had hoped that part of the NFCU-Amex deal would be to use Amex's LoyaltyEdge subsidiary to design a new and innovative rewards program for NFCU.  That didn't happen.

What about the program do you think would've been better done by someone other than TSYS?

Here are a few things they could have done:

— cash-based instead of points-based rewards

— no minimum redemption (like NFCU cashRewards) or low minimum redemption (like PenFed Power Cash) rather than a $50 minimum (like Go Rewards)

— allow posting of cash rewards to checking (like NFCU cashRewards) rather than only to savings (like Go Rewards)

— specialize in monetized rewards like deposits to checking/savings and statement credits (like NFCU cashRewards) rather than an oriental bazaar of travel, merchandise, and gift card alternatives, all of which are duplicated on other NFCU cards.

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Sock drawer: Chase United Explorer • UNFCU Azure • NFCU cashRewards • NFCU Go Rewards • PenFed Promise
Closed: Chase United Club • Citi AAdvantage • Citi Simplicity • Amex Green • Amex BCE • NFCU nRewards • PenFed MC • Store Cards
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

UpperNwGuy wrote:

MrDisco99 wrote:

UpperNwGuy wrote:

-- I am disappointed to see that the rewards program is being run by TSYS, the same vendor who runs the Flagship Rewards and Go Rewards programs.  I had hoped that part of the NFCU-Amex deal would be to use Amex's LoyaltyEdge subsidiary to design a new and innovative rewards program for NFCU.  That didn't happen.

What about the program do you think would've been better done by someone other than TSYS?

Here are a few things they could have done:

— cash-based instead of points-based rewards

— no minimum redemption (like NFCU cashRewards) or low minimum redemption (like PenFed Power Cash) rather than a $50 minimum (like Go Rewards)

— allow posting of cash rewards to checking (like NFCU cashRewards) rather than only to savings (like Go Rewards)

— specialize in monetized rewards like deposits to checking/savings and statement credits (like NFCU cashRewards) rather than an oriental bazaar of travel, merchandise, and gift card alternatives, all of which are duplicated on other NFCU cards.

What you're describing sounds a lot like the Cap1 rewards program, which TSYS also does, along with the other NFCU programs you mentioned.

All of those things (rules) are decided by the issuer.  Granted, it's a collaborative process, but in the end TSYS implements what they ask.

Disclaimer: TSYS pays my mortgage

Established Contributor

For now, I will sit in the garden on this one. Its good they are branching off to the AMEX side but the rewards mimic their gorewards and the AMEX BCE(they have 3% for groceries). The only thing I like is there is no cap like discover and AMEX on their BCE(and preffered) and no AF. I will see how it does from in 6 months(maybe the bonuses will come around the holidays or some temp perks). I used to jump when new cards were introduced.Smiley Indifferent

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Tried for AMEX instant denial

fico 08 08/01//2017 tu 629 eq 637
ex 611 overstock 0/2250 disc secured 0/ 300 credit one 0/450 navy c rewards 1000/3500 navy plat mc 0/2000 penfed oloc 0/500 x 2 mjc 0/5000 wally world 0/200 carecredit 0/800 eq 05 bankcard 669 if i knew who pulled it

This one's not for me but I can see how it could fill a gap for others, especially those who might be locked out of Centurion Bank and are looking for a 3% grocery card.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Anyone know what TU scores are being approved?  Also, if you're AMEX blacklisted, are you auto denied?

[ Edited ]

ccpat wrote:

Anyone know what TU scores are being approved?  Also, if you're AMEX blacklisted, are you auto denied?

This card is issued and underwritten by NFCU, not Centurion Bank (Amex)... it only runs on the Amex network.

I'll have to leave the score range to others; it might be a little while before we have sufficient data points.

Edited to add:  I'll personally be surprised if the underwriting is much different from their other cards.

Valued Contributor

UncleB wrote:

This one's not for me but I can see how it could fill a gap for others, especially those who might be locked out of Centurion Bank and are looking for a 3% grocery card.

It definitely fills that gap for me. ☺

Current Scores------ EQ 679; TU 653; EX 681 FICO 08---------------- Gardening until "Winter is Over"
Beginning Scores-- EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619 FICO 08 (06/13/16) - BK7 discharged 11/2015

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

UpperNwGuy wrote:

My quick assessment of the new NFCU More Rewards:

-- I wish it were Visa instead of Amex.  It will be mostly useless overseas.

-- I wish it had a signup bonus.  It doesn't, even though NFCU has offered signup bonuses on other cards recently.

-- The 3% for both groceries and gas is a wee bit better than the Amex BCE which gives 3% for groceries and 2% for gas.

-- The new card has a high minimum redemption, $50.  At my rate of spending, $3000 groceries and $300 gas per year, I would only be able to redeem once every 6 or 7 months.  High minimum redemptions are what soured me on both Go Rewards ($50) and Amex BCE ($25) last year.  I prefer the NFCU cashRewards redemption policy of any amount any time.

-- Rewards are based on "points" which can be devalued.  The points can't be combined across other NFCU cards.

-- The overall rewards redemption scheme (travel, merchandise, gift cards, pay with points, cash back) is every bit as complicated as Go Rewards, despite the bold press release in May 2017 that this card would have a simple, easy to understand rewards program.  In fact, More Rewards looks like almost a carbon copy of Go Rewards with groceries substituted for dining as the lead bonus category.

My verdict:  I'm going to pass on the More Rewards card.  I'll continue to use PenFed Power Cash Rewards for groceries and gas. Although I'll earn 2%  on Power Cash vice 3% on More Rewards, the dollar difference will only be $33 a year, too low an amount to endure the hassle of managing More Rewards.

How is Go Rewards redemptioin complicated.  Earn 5000 points redeem for 50 dollars cash.  I don't see anything complicated about that.   The problem with the BCE is it limits you to 6000 spend a year on groceries. I spend over 12k a year on groceries so it wouldn't even cover half my year.   I don't think 25 dollars is a high redemption level. If you don't spend much on groceries or gas than don't focus on cards that give you bonus in those categories.  

January 15 2017 Experian 527 Transunion 528 Equifax 529
August 1 2017 Experian 702, Transunion 711, Equifax 715

BOA Cash Rewards, AMEX BCE, AMEX PRG, AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, AMEX SPG, CITI AADvantage Platinum, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Southwest Plus, Barclay Arrival +, Barclay AAdvantage Red Aviator, USAA Prefered Cash Rewards , Cap One Quicksilver, Lendup L card, JCrew, Pottery Barn, Express, NFCU Go Rewards.. 130k total credit lines.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.