Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Amex New Account Bonus - 25k Points

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card

The minimum redemption is $50.  That's $1,667 of spending if you spend only on gas and groceries.  The spending to reach $50 in rewards is higher if you mix your spending across gas, groceries, dining, and other.  For a cash back card, this is unacceptable.  I would only be able to redeem about once every 5-6 months.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

The minimum redemption is $50.  That's $1,667 of spending if you spend only on gas and groceries.  The spending to reach $50 in rewards is higher if you mix your spending across gas, groceries, dining, and other.  For a cash back card, this is unacceptable.  I would only be able to redeem about once every 5-6 months.

I find it hard to believe you only spend $277 a month between bills, food, and other purchases such as clothes and entertainment. 

Also, this is a points card, not a cash back card. 

Message 22 of 26
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I find it hard to believe you only spend $277 a month between bills, food, and other purchases such as clothes and entertainment. 

Several points:

-- It makes no sense to use this card for general spending.  I would only use it for the 3% categories (gas and groceries).  I already get 2% for everything else on my PenFed Power Cash Rewards.  That's what I use for bills, clothes, entertainment, and other purchases. Why would I want 1% from NFCU when I can get 2% from PenFed?

-- I spend about $300 a month at supermarkets and on gas.  My other groceries come from farmers markets and local businesses that don't qualify for the 3%.

-- Of course it's a points card.  But the purpose of earning the points is to turn them into cash.  (I might also note that points can be devalued.)

-- For what it's worth, I spend about $2,000 a month through credit cards.  More if I go on a trip.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Several points:

-- It makes no sense to use this card for general spending.  I would only use it for the 3% categories (gas and groceries).  I already get 2% for everything else on my PenFed Power Cash Rewards.  That's what I use for bills, clothes, entertainment, and other purchases. Why would I want 1% from NFCU when I can get 2% from PenFed?

-- I spend about $300 a month at supermarkets and on gas.  My other groceries come from farmers markets and local businesses that don't qualify for the 3%.

-- Of course it's a points card.  But the purpose of earning the points is to turn them into cash.  (I might also note that points can be devalued.)

-- For what it's worth, I spend about $2,000 a month through credit cards.  More if I go on a trip.

While I agree that there's better cards out there for general spending (i.e: Double Cash, Limitless), many people do not care enough about the hobby we enjoy, and/or they like to simplify their finances. I think down the road I'm going to stick to 1-2 credit cards (probably my Delta for the companion ticket and my NavyFed card I was approved for today) rather than try to juggle 10 credit cards at a time. 

Back to the subject, does NavyFed allow PC's to this card yet? 

Message 24 of 26
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Amex New Account Bonus - 25k Points

No PC is allowed with the card currently.
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Amex New Account Bonus - 25k Points

I am glad that it didnt even occur to me to apply for this until today and i had no clue about the bonus. So i missed the early hype , i am sure i would have applied then and would have missed the bonus . Thank fully I only applied today because i was not happy about penfed travel amex redemption and i was looking for a third party amex for my own reasons. I am glad i applied for this today ! Synchronistically the bonus was On Smiley Happy) Was instantly approved for 9700$ @ 15.99% Smiley Happy) 3k spend can be easily met and 250$ cash for that is pretty awesome! . I love that this gives 3% on groceries unlimited! Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.