Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Auto Pay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Auto Pay

My BF is a merchant mariner with Military Sealift Command so he's gone 5-9 months out of the year. Upon my push, I convinced him to go to the local NFCU branch and open an account to apply for a credit card. He walked away with a 20K limit.

He didn't get his card because he had to ship out a week later, but he says he is happy about that because he wouldn't know how to pay on it while at sea.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how he could accomplish this? Evidently the CSR said something about mailing checks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Auto Pay

@Anonymous wrote:

My BF is a merchant mariner with Military Sealift Command so he's gone 5-9 months out of the year. Upon my push, I convinced him to go to the local NFCU branch and open an account to apply for a credit card. He walked away with a 20K limit.

He didn't get his card because he had to ship out a week later, but he says he is happy about that because he wouldn't know how to pay on it while at sea.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how he could accomplish this? Evidently the CSR said something about mailing checks.

Mailing checks is possible or auto pay, as your title suggests. Direct deposit into checking then auto pay. Now that your BF is in with NFCU, have you thought about applying as well? Same household members are eligible 

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

He could set up autopay and not worry about it if he's out to sea.  If he activates the card then that shouldn't be a problem.  I'm willing to bet that he has has some access to the Internet while at sea or he could give you the info to you to set it up.  I wouldn't count on mailed checks to make a payment in a timely fashion.

Message 3 of 6
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

If your BF has checks, that means he has a bank account. Why not set up bill pay from that said bank account? 

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 4 of 6
IncrsCredScore
Frequent Contributor

I agree with setting up bill pay.  It is so easy to set up.  And when you need to make a payment, just go into NFCU bill pay and pay the bill.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, he does not have access to the internet beyond email while at sea and his times in port are completely variable depending on the ship. Thanks for all the info though!

And if we do move in together, I'll definitely keep NFCU in mind.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.