Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Balance Transfer Help!!

@ssondubs wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 2.99% you're referring to is a balance transfer offer.....so why can't you just do the balance transfer on your cards, in the same way any other BT is done? Why would you need a check to deposit into your checking account, then pay the other CC's out of your checking account?

So Navy said I can't balance transfer from one of their accounts to another one of their accounts.  So I figure let me balance transfer from them to my Bank of America account and then pay them off from there. 

Also one of them is my Macys store account, which I have the amex account but have a balance on the store account.  I'm not sure if I use the Amex account number and pay the amount due for the store account if it will be credited to the correct account.  I owe $0 on the Amex account but about $800 on the store account.  Any clarification on this?

For macy's you can just use the account number on your card if they happen to give you a credited balance on your amex instead of the store you just call and they will move payments around with no problem.

Ok that helps with the Macy's didn't know they could do that!  So what should I do about my other navy account?  I don't think the convenice checks would work in this case, but I guess I should try and see what happens?

ask navy if you can use the check and it will be honored at the 2.9%... if so, deposit to a checking account outside of navy.

I have some checks as well but I read this in the BT verbiage
Balance transfers using convenience checks are excluded from this offer.

oh!

Message 11 of 16
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@ssondubs wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 2.99% you're referring to is a balance transfer offer.....so why can't you just do the balance transfer on your cards, in the same way any other BT is done? Why would you need a check to deposit into your checking account, then pay the other CC's out of your checking account?

So Navy said I can't balance transfer from one of their accounts to another one of their accounts.  So I figure let me balance transfer from them to my Bank of America account and then pay them off from there. 

Also one of them is my Macys store account, which I have the amex account but have a balance on the store account.  I'm not sure if I use the Amex account number and pay the amount due for the store account if it will be credited to the correct account.  I owe $0 on the Amex account but about $800 on the store account.  Any clarification on this?

For macy's you can just use the account number on your card if they happen to give you a credited balance on your amex instead of the store you just call and they will move payments around with no problem.

Ok that helps with the Macy's didn't know they could do that!  So what should I do about my other navy account?  I don't think the convenice checks would work in this case, but I guess I should try and see what happens?

ask navy if you can use the check and it will be honored at the 2.9%... if so, deposit to a checking account outside of navy.

oh!

So should I just use my checking account information and have them send me a check to bank of america? 

Gardening since 06/01/2016

Message 12 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@ssondubs wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@waynes1982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

oh!

So should I just use my checking account information and have them send me a check to bank of america? 

dont' know if navy deposits into checking accounts.

Message 13 of 16
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

Well I'm thinking if I put my checking account number into the account number field and then use my mail in address as the credit card address and see what happens.  

Message 14 of 16
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to give an update on this.

So, last week I decided to bite the bullet and try putting in my Bank of America checking account number into the account number field, and I used the mail in depost address as the banks address, and the creditor I used Bank of America.

I looked at my NFCU card the beginning of the week and saw that the balance transfer was completed and there was a check number with the transaction.  So, that means they mailed a check, well I go and check my account today, and there's a pending deposit into my Bank of America checking account.

So, this means you can essentially balance transfer the funds to your checking account and get the low balance trasfer rate, and use that money as you wish.

I'm using it to payoff a balance with NFCU!

Message 15 of 16
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@waynes1982 wrote:

Just wanted to give an update on this.

So, last week I decided to bite the bullet and try putting in my Bank of America checking account number into the account number field, and I used the mail in depost address as the banks address, and the creditor I used Bank of America.

I looked at my NFCU card the beginning of the week and saw that the balance transfer was completed and there was a check number with the transaction.  So, that means they mailed a check, well I go and check my account today, and there's a pending deposit into my Bank of America checking account.

So, this means you can essentially balance transfer the funds to your checking account and get the low balance trasfer rate, and use that money as you wish.

I'm using it to payoff a balance with NFCU!

Rather interesting move.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.