cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CC int rate reduced. Could Fico 9 be the reason?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CC int rate reduced. Could Fico 9 be the reason?

Certainly could just be coincidence and is purely speculation on my part.  

I called Friday night to see if  I had any chance of an interest rate reduction on my two Navy cards.

Immediately was given a reduction to 10.40 on the Cash Rewards and 10.24 on the Go rewards. Lowest available on both.

Both had been in the 16% range.  I reduced the Cash rewards from 17.40 to 16.40 last year.

What has me thinking maybe Fico 9 has some influence is that my scores on fico 8 and mortgage scores have only gone up about 20 points and have been steady around the upper 600 and low 700 range for a while.  But my Fico 9 scores are in the 740 to 770 range. 

So maybe there is sonething to them providing us the eq Fico 9.  Guess time will tell soon enough.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU CC int rate reduced. Could Fico 9 be the reason?

@Anonymous wrote:

I called Friday night to see if  I had any chance of an interest rate reduction on my two Navy cards.

Immediately was given a reduction to 10.40 on the Cash Rewards and 10.24 on the Go rewards. Lowest available on both.

Both had been in the 16% range.  I reduced the Cash rewards from 17.40 to 16.40 last year.

What has me thinking maybe Fico 9 has some influence is that my scores on fico 8 and mortgage scores have only gone up about 20 points and have been steady around the upper 600 and low 700 range for a while.  But my Fico 9 scores are in the 740 to 770 range. 

So maybe there is sonething to them providing us the eq Fico 9.  Guess time will tell soon enough.

Congrats on your rate reduction success! I have 2 cards currently with them goRewards 16.90 & platinum visa 13.40 and wanted to see if they could reduce both. Do you know if it needs to be a year with NFCU to be eligible for a reduction or can you request in less time?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

An improved score certainly played a role in it. But NFCU is just awesome and they want to keep their members happy. If your scores warrant higher credit lines and lower APRs they usually will oblige. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your rate reduction success! I have 2 cards currently with them goRewards 16.90 & platinum visa 13.40 and wanted to see if they could reduce both. Do you know if it needs to be a year with NFCU to be eligible for a reduction or can you request in less time?

Pretty sure it's a year in between requests for an reduction.  I waited till my card was a year old before the first request and then another year for the 2nd request on the Cash Rewards card.   The Go rewards card just turned a year old at the beginning of June.  

Message 4 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats! It does look like EQ 09 is being used now as part of their decision.

Quick sidebar question... does anyone know if NFCU will lower APRs below the published ranges?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Congrats! It does look like EQ 09 is being used now as part of their decision.

Quick sidebar question... does anyone know if NFCU will lower APRs below the published ranges?

If that truly is the case, I want to do the dance of joy.  Im waiting a bit for my rebuild to hit the 2 year mark, but my fico 09s are substantially higher than my 08s.

OP, thanks for sharing this, it's given me something to look forward to!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.