cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLI - Got It! - CLOSED ACCOUNT - The Dark Side!

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU CLI - Got It! - CLOSED ACCOUNT - The Dark Side!

@IECredit wrote:

Whenever I ask for a CLI I make sure my total UTI is below 10% and the balance on the card IM asking for a CLI is really low! Some creditors get spooked if your carrying large balances for a long period of time and asking for more credit! That is a recipe for disaster, so you really can't blame them.

Most of us understand that but NFCU is different, I have never NEVER seen them close a tradeline for use even if it is 99% maxed out.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 11 of 32
Idaho_Mechanic1984
Established Member

As many have said my high utilization should be a blessing to them as I always pay on time every month - so they are maxxing their profits on my activity for the past several years leaving it maxed out.... SSOOO STRANGE. The only difference I can see is my 2 requests - the first for $12500 that gave an error message then I tried for $9500 with the 3-5 day message and magically the next day it went to 9500 - but as soon as MAY 1ST hit when the card expired - BAM account closed and nothing I can do about it.

The only other difference is I was finally able to start dropping my utilization down so I went from like 95-99% down to around 85% with the CLI and was pushing sub 80% when everything went up in smoke - so yeah I would personally be VERY SCARED of requesting a CLI and updating income information (I input $28k self employed) ---- I deepfully regret my decision to do that after seeing so many CLI success stories I should have left it alone and maybe it would have continued to auto CLI.....

Then again back to it is very strange that I did not get an updated credit card expiration date --- which MUST have been preplanned because I believe the new card came before I did anything with CLI,

ONE OTHER THING I FORGOT --- I did put the account on hold for 3 weeks - the lady mentioned if I leave it for more than a month the account would be closed, so I made sure I was only at like 25 days before reinstating it - so perhaps THIS is what KILLED ME. Somehow how it through a wrench in my account status....

ANYWAYS So next question - WHO ELSE should I start trying to do business with that gives me a chance at the highest tradelines/limits???? Try reapplying for a card with nfcu or is that bridge done for?

Message 12 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

With a high utilization as noted, the focus should remain to stay on track and pay your debt down, not leverage further extensions of credit that is not warranted at the present time.  From an underwriting point of view, no lender will be willing to extend additional credit, especially if a specific TL is hovering at 80% given present income and other factors.

Message 13 of 32
R0C

NFCU is the pinnacle of high CLs that are easily obtained. I don't know of a better institution in that regard. PenFed is good also, but they are strict and will CLD you in a heartbeat over high utilization of other CCs. I would just recommend that you pay down your balances before looking for another institution.

Scores (updated 5/15/2013)
EQ 806 - TU 808 - EX 815 - DCU EQ 813 - PSECU EX 815 - CS EX 835 - CK TU 765 - CREDIT EX 800 - QUIZZLE EX 760

Tradelines
Amex Platinum to Amex PR Gold NPSL - NFCU Visa Platinum 45k - PenFed Visa Promise 44.5k - USAA Mastercard 35k - Service CU Visa 27k - Grow Financial FCU 25k - Amex Clear 25k - PSECU Visa 20k - Military Star Card 8.7k - PenFed Visa Gold .5k - PSECU PSL 20k

Banking
USAA - NFCU - PenFed - Service CU - Grow Financial FCU - PSECU - DCU
Message 14 of 32
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Idaho_Mechanic1984 wrote:

ONE OTHER THING I FORGOT --- I did put the account on hold for 3 weeks - the lady mentioned if I leave it for more than a month the account would be closed, so I made sure I was only at like 25 days before reinstating it - so perhaps THIS is what KILLED ME. Somehow how it through a wrench in my account status....

ANYWAYS So next question - WHO ELSE should I start trying to do business with that gives me a chance at the highest tradelines/limits???? Try reapplying for a card with nfcu or is that bridge done for?

I'm pretty sure that this is what caused the account to be closed.    Not sure what On Hold really means but I'm guessing that it is similar to a soft close or something like that.

NFCU is really the best creditor, I'd keep trying to get back in with them.   It will be difficult to obtain credit if your utilization remains that high....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 15 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with pizzadude. Have you spoken with them to confirm your dates coincided with theirs?
Message 16 of 32
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

If it was me I would reapp. Wild horses couldn't drag me from the send button!!  If there is nothing more to the story they will open a new account. I personally feel NFCU could care less about UTI% as long as you pay them on time. They are a unique lender that compares to NO OTHER PERIOD. 

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 17 of 32
kanokphan
Valued Member

WOW! Sorry to hear that and now im scare Woman Frustrated

Starting Score: 592 Current Score: 632
Goal Score: 750

NFCU#7,500 NFL#900 AMZ STORE CARD#1,200 VICTORIAS#500 AMZ CHASE#400 DISCOVER#1500 CAP1#500 BML PAYPAL#500 BML HP#2,000 USAA CLASS PLAT MC#1,000 EXP#250 HSN#500 JCrew#250
Message 18 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I'm pretty sure that this is what caused the account to be closed.    Not sure what On Hold really means but I'm guessing that it is similar to a soft close or something like that.

NFCU is really the best creditor, I'd keep trying to get back in with them.   It will be difficult to obtain credit if your utilization remains that high....

What do you mean putting it on hold??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 32
flyingace
Valued Member

@LS2982 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

What do you mean putting it on hold??

Perhaps "putting it on hold" confused NFCU, and they took it to mean close the account?

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.