Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLI request?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CLI request?

I've been debating putting in a CLI request since it's getting to be the holiday season. I'm wondering what kind of experience people have had with NFCU CLI requests? Is it better to just ask for a minor CLI? I'm afraid that if I put a higher amount they'll just flat out deny it without counter offering at least some sort of CLI.

Basically the card is only at $1500 right now. Since I'm closing my $3k Cap One secured card soon, I want to make up for the decrease in available credit, or at the very least have the credit line match my current highest card. Would it be better to request a bump up to $3k, or would it be safe to request something like $4.5-5k?

My income is also higher now than it was a few months ago (yay for a good few months of projects), and my util% should be WAY down across the board. So I don't feel like either request is unreasonable - I just don't want to request a higher CL and have their immediate reaction be something like "oh he** no" and get completely denied.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU CLI request?

I have seen people go from $1500 Secured to $10k... Navy will always counter if I'm not mistaken... I would ask for $20k!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I have seen people go from $1500 Secured to $10k... Navy will always counter if I'm not mistaken... I would ask for $20k!

Ahh, I'm not that ambitious yet! I'd rather get $5k and THEN try my luck.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I ended up with the 3-5 business day message. I wish the status of the CLI was visible somewhere on the account, but there's of course no messages or application number for it - so I guess I'll find out in a few days depending on whether the CL stays the same or gets increased.

In case they don't approve the request, does anyone have experience asking them to recon the CLI decision? I can't seem to find a phone #/fax/address for NFCU recons.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally went from $1,200 secured to a graduated card with a limit of $17,500 at my 13 month!
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I personally went from $1,200 secured to a graduated card with a limit of $17,500 at my 13 month!

Wow. Ok, maybe I wasn't asking for too much by asking for a 3.5k CLI. Still, coming from banking with Cap One, I have ittle faith in my customer-initiated CLI being approved.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, despite me being optimistic, they flat out denied the CLI request. No counter offer, just denied. Won't give me details, have to get the letter in the mail.

Really, I guess this is just another part of the saga of my bad luck with NFCU. For all the love they seem to give others, they've so far given me nothing but hate.

Message 7 of 14
rbizzle
Contributor

I just went through the whole CLI with nfcu, the rep told me ask for whatever I want and if they can't do what I requested they will come back with what they can do so that way you will get atleast some sort of increase.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rbizzle wrote:
I just went through the whole CLI with nfcu, the rep told me ask for whatever I want and if they can't do what I requested they will come back with what they can do so that way you will get atleast some sort of increase.

That's what I kind of expected, but I got absolutely no CLI. I guess is is only month 4 of having the card so that could have something to do with it.. but with it being only a 1500 CL I've put at least 4x that through it already. You'd think they'd be a bit more comfortable with giving me a CLI since obviously I can manage the card and pay it off just fine.

But I suppose not.

Message 9 of 14
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

I suspect you may receive a letter in the mail stating insufficient experience with your current credit limit.  If that is the case, wait until the account is around the 6 month mark and try again.  Some people have luck around 4 months and some don't.

Did they hard pull your EQ or TU report?

My recent experience was my account was 1 day before the 6 month mark, sent the request for an additional 13,000 to make my limit 30,000.  They countered with an approved 24,000 limit after a few days.. hard pull on EQ.. this was exactly 1/2 of what I was asking for. .. In 6 months I'm just going to go ahead and ask for a bump to 50,000 and see where it goes.  

NFCU is very generous and will grow, just give it time and review the letter you get in the mail.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.