Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Carrying Balances

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Carrying Balances

@Anonymous wrote:

I read your post.  Good luck to your friend.  Not good to plan to BT a BT and then BT that if you have to.  Sounds like a Ponzi scheme.  Good luck.  Please post the results, successful or not.

While I do agree that simply moving the exact same debt from one card to another to avoid making payment is playing with fire (and usually leads to bad things) I think the OP is describing something different, basically a pre-planned debt shuffle (to use the forum lingo).

I might have expensive dental work coming up (again) and this would actually be a viable option for me as well.  Basically you're not moving the same debt from card to card, but once the 0% promo is over you're moving the remainder of the debt to another 0% promo... that one word (remainder) makes all the difference - you're continuously paying the debt down, but just need more time at a 0% rate. 

This isn't comparable to a Ponzi scheme... this is smart.  Smiley Happy

Using the debt shuffle in this way effectively means you're actively working on paying off the total, but are just unable to do so before the 12 month (or 18 month) 0% period is over.  It's basically the same as effect as a 21-month 0% offer on a Diamond Preferred, but using more than one card.

If the OP's friend moves forward with this and implements it correctly it will mean saving quite a bit of interest.  Smiley Wink

Note:  To contribute to the original question, I've never read of anybody having a problem carrying a balance with NFCU, so the OP's friend should be fine.  I wouldn't expect any CLIs during this time, of course, and the friend's FICO might take a temporary hit due to utilization but once the account is paid down that will recover, and IMO "real" money is infinitely more valuable than a shiny FICO score anyway.  If the friend has a 'moody' lender like Barclays in her wallet, well... you know what might happen, but otherwise things should be fine (and I would rather save the interest than deal with Barclays anyway, but that's just me... LOL)

Message 11 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I know im just a simpleton but im of mind that is why we have bt offers. I know certain lenders offer them and when you take them up on it they dont like it i.e Barclays or such but when i see use your BT offer to transfer your high balance cards to ours, well i dont see it saying only if it 30% of our card. I know its never good to max out a card etc, but in Donnys friend case , dhe has a 17,000k limit and an offer so why not take advantage of it. I thought whole purpose of doing BTs is to save money.

Ive read where people have 17-30k cards and all they use the card for is a netflix charge so in OP s case, they will actually be using the card and creating some history at some time, making monthly paymemts, even more than minimum, will at least show responsible use imho.

Humu brings up some great things to consider when doing such things. In the end, if Donnys friend doesnt have all paid off by end and decides to bt the rest elsewhere, i see no problem with that. This is how we learn to make credit work for us. Good luck to said friend Donny, good post in that it may help someone down the line who would like to Bt with Navy.Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 21
rlx01
Established Contributor

There are zero issues with what your friend is doing and NFCU won't care.

Is there any grace period for the BT after 3%? Otherwise this isn't really that great a deal.
Message 13 of 21
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

hmm I BT'd 4600 to my cash rewards card but I got the 0% offer for 12 months and no fee. Also had the card for 2 years and my CL is 25k.

I would be cautious with doing that much on a brand new card and also having just joined.
CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darkfrosty wrote:
hmm I BT'd 4600 to my cash rewards card but I got the 0% offer for 12 months and no fee. Also had the card for 2 years and my CL is 25k.

I would be cautious with doing that much on a brand new card and also having just joined.

+1

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darkfrosty wrote:

A doubt very much they will be any issues. She has Stella credit. People do BT's on new cards everyday. If NFCU doesn't like it, oh well.

I suggested that she should go for it. She is not maxing it and will pay 2 or 3 times the minimum every month. 

I don't think anyone should have to walk on egg shells with a creditor. 

Message 16 of 21
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@darkfrosty wrote:

A doubt very much they will be any issues. She has Stella credit. People do BT's on new cards everyday. If NFCU doesn't like it, oh well.

I suggested that she should go for it. She is not maxing it and will pay 2 or 3 times the minimum every month. 

I don't think anyone should have to walk on egg shells with a creditor

You should open a bank then. I'll be your first customer! Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@darkfrosty wrote:

I don't think anyone should have to walk on egg shells with a creditor. 

I think that most likely NFCU will be ok with it- just good to keep in mind things overall with other creditors, too, and how they view the situation. Sounds as if she is doing all the right things. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rebuilding69 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darkfrosty wrote:

I don't think anyone should have to walk on egg shells with a creditor

You should open a bank then. I'll be your first customer! Smiley Very Happy

Funny.....you should be a comedian. I will be in a front row seat.

Seriously though. When I first started building I got my Chase Freedom Card with a low EX score of like 630 with several baddies still on my report. I had a Cap1 card that had a balance of $3500. My Freedom was approved for $4000 and had a ZERO BT offer for 15 months. I transferred the $3500 on the Freedom and paid it off in 8 months. Never an issue from them.

Message 19 of 21
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

NFCU doesn't seem to care one bit. I remember when I had my first card and got the zero interest offer for a year and I think my initial line was 10k, I put 90% util on it for zero interest. A couple years down the line they auto increased my limits to more, sent me auto invite in which I was intantly approved for a higher limit with zero interest. They still offer me low interest on anything I want to a car or whatever. I love them, they probably love me and they are the shiz to have as a bank. They are migh highest limits of all my cards for both me and my girlfriend. I have always paid on time. So there you go that should make anything you want to do feel at ease!!

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.