Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Cash rewards

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Cash rewards

Kimber, we know NFCU is infamous for large limits. That's why we are teying to help him figure out why so he can look into that part of his credit portfolio and improve it.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 21 of 60
Cageym
Established Contributor

Right, everything I've observed here says I should have gotten a higher CL. I've seen people with scores almost 100 points below mine get higher ones. So naturally I'm a little confused.LOL

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 22 of 60
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

cage, something I noticed. If you go under account services and look under loan application status, I see they add your denial letter there. (I had one when I first applied in May) Maybe the letter they are mailing out about the limit is there for you.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 23 of 60
Cageym
Established Contributor

@Jordan - Sorry, didn't se this until know. All that was there was the approval for the card itself. The little green card came in yesterday and I've used it for a $50 purchase. Once it starts reporting I'll zero the Cap1 and let it sit. After a few months of using it I'll hit them up for a CLI and see what they say.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Message 24 of 60
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Cageym, would love to help you out of toy limit land.  Can you give me some more details on your credit file?  Negatives?  What else is on there in terms of credit?  Can you give details like cl, open date, reported balance?  I am surprised by your nfcu limit as well.  Couple of different methods for building cl up.  Depends on how fast and what goal of size of cl you are looking for?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 25 of 60
Cageym
Established Contributor

I have no negatives that I c an see. No lates in the last 1.5 years, but that is the length of my history. Except on EX, there is an 8 year old auto loan that is showing ND but shows OK at the end. I have the Cap1 at a $750 limit, and it's the one that won't go any higher and that is my oldest account on EQ & TU. And I only have a short history with NFCU. I have had a Chase account since it was WAMU but I haven't applied there yet for a card although based on my scores alone I should be able to get the Freedom. I also have USAA that I have insurance through as well as another account but I haven't applied there either, fearing rejection from either one and not wanting to waste a HP. Showing 4 HP's right now, 3 of them from NFCU. As far as limit I would like at least a 10k card, makes travel during vacations from here in Diego Garcia easier but I don't know if I can make that by the time my next vacation rolls around, should be in Feb 2013. Oh, and I also just had some of my pay diverted to NFCU on DD so that may help as far as how they see my account. I want a couple of higher limit cards, at least 2, but I need to break the barrier with one first.

Message 26 of 60
Cageym
Established Contributor

Forgot to mention,the one CC I have right now is kept around 4% util unless I'm on vacation, then it goes up but gets paid off. Also in my Chase mailout offers there was one for the Slate but I think that's another low limit starter card. I'll only go there if I have no choice and only to add it as a third card.

Message 27 of 60
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

How long have you been at your current address and how long at current employer? Maybe that's why initial low limit? I wouldn't stress it so much just wait a year they will show you some love
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 28 of 60
Cageym
Established Contributor

1.5 years for employer this time, but no break in jobs. And my address in Texas is 5 years, over here same 1.5. I think I may be able to get a CLI of some kind in 3 months since I've directed pay there. Oh, I also signed up for automatic minimum on the card they gave me. I'll pay more but they know they'll get their money every month. I'm working on it. My house is paid for but that  doesn't help as much as some might think.LOL And if they want pay verification I can do that  easily. I understand the patience part but I just expected more with my scores like they are. I've stikll got Chase I can apply to once the NFCU starts reporting. I was just a little shocked that my limit was so low with their history of high limits, and for people with lower scores and baddies. I know more goes into it than that BTW.

Message 29 of 60
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Cageym, my guess the combo of short history and small cl is your problem.  If you got cash, a big cl secured card will fix you right up.  That is short cut if you can spare the cash.  But don't do anything yet.  Otherwise you will need to do a combo of cli friendly lenders and strategic apping.  Let me know which route interests you.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 30 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.