Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CashRewards 1.5%!

tag
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU CashRewards 1.5%!

I have the NFCU Signature Flagship card. This puts me in a tough position. The SF card gives 2% if you redeem for travel and has a $49 AF. The new CR card is 1.5% on everything, no fee.

On one hand, I'll still come out ahead on the SF card. One the other hand, I can use the CR cash whenever I want on whatever I want. Doesn't have to be on travel. I think the flexibility may be worth giving up a few bucks in rewards.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Message 41 of 49
Airforcekid
Established Member

I'm sort of in that situation I was going to switch over to the flagship for no foreign transaction fees and 2% but I like cashback over travel and no AF however I'm also giving up the signature benefits (no idea what they really are). I'm sticking with the Cash rewards card a little longer though for sure.
NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 42 of 49
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Knk8188 wrote:

I went to the online banking site this morning and I saw the CashRewards card advertised as 1.5%CB. I spoke to a CSR from NF and she confirmed that EVERYONE who has this card gets the new rewards of 1.5%CB on everything! Awesome! I just received my new card about 2 weeks ago, and my QS 1 month ago. Since CapOne is a bit challenged in the CLI department...NFCU cash rewards might be the card I use most.

Yep, I spoke with a CSR on Monday 6/30, applied while the $100 was still in place. Smiley Happy 

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 43 of 49
kawaiiguy
Established Member

I got the letter too.  I was looking for more info on the card and went to the site to check it out.  The website still says you have to spend the $10k to get the 1.5% so I called the number on the letter to ask about the discrepancy and the gentleman did say, like others have found, that effective 7/1/2014 1.5% is the standard rate for all users of the card current and future.  Looks like capital one is gonna have some (albeit small) competition.  I know that's the most used card in my wallet right now for my "other" purchases.

Also if anyone didn't notice... if your CL is $5k+ you will get a visa signature: a few nice benefits go with that.

For those who are eligible and have the choice i'd pick NFCU over Cap1 just because a CU will look at you past business when you go in for one of those "favor" type of requests and have a little more flexibility to lend, esp more than super rigid cap1.

Good luck everyone!

Message 44 of 49
kawaiiguy
Established Member

@JKSIMMONS wrote:

I have the NFCU Signature Flagship card. This puts me in a tough position. The SF card gives 2% if you redeem for travel and has a $49 AF. The new CR card is 1.5% on everything, no fee.

On one hand, I'll still come out ahead on the SF card. One the other hand, I can use the CR cash whenever I want on whatever I want. Doesn't have to be on travel. I think the flexibility may be worth giving up a few bucks in rewards.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Travel rewards cards are really tricky to compare to cash back cards.  I almost always go with cash cards because of the clarity of the rewards.  I tried a little comparison research as I often do in my OCD time and the best I could calculate was that the actual rewards value I would have received (based on tickets that I would be most likely to actually buy) were anywhere from 1.5 - 2.5 cents "per point" then you have to figure how many points you earn per dollar and on what type of purchases to come out with your real cash value of that redemption.  So i'll take my cash rewards monies and find a good deal on a ticket from wherever i want to get it.

Then consider that if you EVER carry balances on these cards there is no way in hell you are getting any rewards, its only decreasing the interest cost associated with that account a little bit.

Just my 1.5 - 2.5 cents!   Always consider the actual value of the rewards being offered and do they actually benefit you or are you just shifting cost from one place to another!

Message 45 of 49
scarzy
Regular Contributor

@kawaiiguy wrote:

I got the letter too.  I was looking for more info on the card and went to the site to check it out.  The website still says you have to spend the $10k to get the 1.5% so I called the number on the letter to ask about the discrepancy and the gentleman did say, like others have found, that effective 7/1/2014 1.5% is the standard rate for all users of the card current and future.  Looks like capital one is gonna have some (albeit small) competition.  I know that's the most used card in my wallet right now for my "other" purchases.

Also if anyone didn't notice... if your CL is $10k+ you will get a visa signature: a few nice benefits go with that.

For those who are eligible and have the choice i'd pick NFCU over Cap1 just because a CU will look at you past business when you go in for one of those "favor" type of requests and have a little more flexibility to lend, esp more than super rigid cap1.

Good luck everyone!

I got a Visa Signature with a $5,000 limit w/ NF.

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 46 of 49
kawaiiguy
Established Member

@scarzy wrote:

@kawaiiguy wrote:

Also if anyone didn't notice... if your CL is $10k+ you will get a visa signature: a few nice benefits go with that. ($5k+ NOT $10k+)

Good luck everyone!

I got a Visa Signature with a $5,000 limit w/ NF.

Egads, you are correct, not sure how I got that wrong, but that is exactly right... $5k+ will yield a Visa Signature, my bad guys!

Message 47 of 49
Slim1Der
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I got mine. Wish It was 1.5% last month, I really worked that card good!

EX - 751 EQ - 732 TU - 752
Over $200k in revolving credit lines
10% Overall UTI
BK Discharge Jan 2009
Message 48 of 49
baller4life
Super Contributor

Love it! It's my daily driver now. Love transferring those cash rewards to my savings. Who doesn't love free money. Smiley Happy
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.