cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CashRewards Approved... What card next???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CashRewards Approved... What card next???

So I was approved for a NFCU CashRewards card in October of last year ($3800 CL). I'm using it monthly and PIF throughout the month. What card would be a good one for me to try for next? Should I wait longer or is there another one that I would probably get approved for? I don't want one with a $300 CL, annual fee, or crazy interest. I'm hoping for another good size one like NFCU. Any thoughts on where I should start?

Ursula

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU CashRewards Approved... What card next???

@Anonymous wrote:

So I was approved for a NFCU CashRewards card in October of last year ($3800 CL). I'm using it monthly and PIF throughout the month. What card would be a good one for me to try for next? Should I wait longer or is there another one that I would probably get approved for? I don't want one with a $300 CL, annual fee, or crazy interest. I'm hoping for another good size one like NFCU. Any thoughts on where I should start?

Ursula

Far too little info in your post for anyone to make a good suggestion.  In order to do so we would need to know more about what benefits that you are looking for in a new card.  Cash back?  Travel card? What do you spend your money on now? Groceries? Dining?, etc, etc.  Also some info on your credit, like scores and any other cards you currently have would be beneficial.  Here are hundreds of credit cards and what is good for me or someone else might very well be completely useless to you so providing that info would help us to give you a useful recommendation 

Message 2 of 10
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Also have you tried for a CLI with your current NFCU card?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt I've had it long enough to try for a CLI. I was approved for it on November 21st (I thought it was the end of October). Not sure when I should try that. I basically have nothing on it right now. Using it and PIF every month. 

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1 what Irish saidSmiley Happy

+2 adukeSmiley Happy

Many who have a Navy card eventually try for a second so there is that option but of course everything depends on your profileSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm NOT in any hurry to get a new card. I barely have anything on NF but I'm just researching every inch of this board and asking questions that I run across. Credit scores are in the mid to upper 600's right now. NFCU caused it to jump 70 points! I would like to get another card that has another high CL. I know $3800 isn't a lot but for me it's HUGE! Just want to make sure that I time things right and I do the cards that I have the best chance at getting to avoid additional HPs. 

I have learned SO much from this forum! You guys have all been just awesome!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Currently I have Walmart $500, Kohls $300, and Amazon $700 and NFCU $3800. All with 0 balances. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the Cash Back cards or Travel Cards. My goal here is to get another CC with a decent credit limit. $3800 was HUGE for me! It caused my credit score to go WAY up. I'm in no hurry really to get another card. I'm just researching because when I apply for another card I want to have the best possible chance at an approval to avoid any additional HPs. 

My credit scores are in the mid to upper 600's right now. I use NFCU mainly for things that I've already budgeted to pay (electric, groceries, internet, etc). That way I can build strong by PIF each month. 

My current cards are: Walmart $500, Amazon $700, Kohls $300 (all $0 balances) and NFCU $3800 ($159 currently on it but have the cash now to pay it off). 

PS: LOVE LOVE LOVE the quote! I have been keeping that in mind over the past several months. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
happypill
Valued Contributor

I'd say you have a good shot at getting a nice limit with Capital One, either QS or Venture.  The Venture will have a higher limit, but comes with an AF.  You could try for the Venture, get th sign-on bonus of 40k points and then PC to a QS within the year.  Minimum limit on the Venture is $5k I believe.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm NOT in any hurry to get a new card. I barely have anything on NF but I'm just researching every inch of this board and asking questions that I run across. Credit scores are in the mid to upper 600's right now. NFCU caused it to jump 70 points! I would like to get another card that has another high CL. I know $3800 isn't a lot but for me it's HUGE! Just want to make sure that I time things right and I do the cards that I have the best chance at getting to avoid additional HPs. 

I have learned SO much from this forum! You guys have all been just awesome!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Currently I have Walmart $500, Kohls $300, and Amazon $700 and NFCU $3800. All with 0 balances. 

1st Congrats and Welcome to Navy!Smiley Happy

2nd, I know building and getting credit can be like being a kid it a candy store...I get it but you are correct in taking it slow and measured w/o HURRY

You said you got your card approved on NOV 21 yet you say you basically PIF...you've gotta slow it down and let it flooooow

That can AT THE MOST only be ONE billing cycle, one billing cycle isn't generally the time to be overly concrened about the NEXT card, friend.

Looking at what you have and taking into account the 70 point bump you mention leads one to believe you are a builder in building stage....based on the limits, you listed.

My assumption is your 'goal' is to build your profile and you seem concrened about HP's....to be honest I'd think building upon CLs you have now would make more sense than chasing more lenders....as your current profile matures with on-time payments and 'pretty' debt usage ....asking your current vendors to increase your CLs will add bang to your profile, perhaps w/o new HP's

You also have to consider that you already have vendors in your profile known to open the flood gates of CLs...get these nice a FAT...then 4-8 months from now the 'next' vendor will see a FAT Navy, WM & Kohl's with 'history' and you'll be cooking with greaseSmiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right. I'm going to build on what I have for now. It was just so exciting to see that NFCU CL of $3800. I can't even tell you how many times I looked at the account to make sure they hadn't made a mistake! lol NFCU is ONLY 1 billing cycle so far. I'm getting ready to come up on the second one. I am just going to use these few cards over the next 6 months or so and then try for an increase. It'll be interesting to see how far I can go with these! 

Ursula

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.