Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Chip and Pin

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Chip and Pin

We are heading to Europe and want to use our Navy Fed CC over there. Is it a true chip and pin? Will it work at the train stations for tickets and unattended places? TIA. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Chip and Pin

It'll work at ticket machines but I wouldn't expect to be asked for the PIN if there's someone who can verify a signature. At this point if a card has a PIN on it at all it's a safe assumption that it's only for unattended machines.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I understand. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The real scoop on this is as follows.  If you were one of the original beta tester users of the card, ie they selected you, live in Europe for the military, etc you have a true chip-and-pin card.  You got it over a year ago. I have one.  This card worked like a true European card and has never been declined anywhere unless I put the wrong pin in.  I used it last night chip-and-pin 4 times, no issues.  I have used it in train stations, unattended booths, etc.  It works.  It ALWAYS requires a pin, never ever a signature.

However, if you are a normal issued user of an upgraded card in the last 6 months, it's equal to like the Barclay card where Chip-and-Singature is priority, but you can set it to be Chip-and-Pin and it will let you know when it is needed.  

NFCU beta tested the true chip-and-pin cards to an unknown number of users, but ultimately chose the Signature priority.  However the priority is encodded in the chip itself, so as long as you have the card, it will work as described.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.