Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Credit Cards

tag
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Credit Cards

I just opened an account with NFCU a week or two ago(checking and savings) and I applied for a credit card(the nrewards visa). I have seen a lot of people on the forums get approved for them, so I figured why not. My score on myfico was in the high 500's(I think around 580 or 590) but on the actual TU website, they say it is 613. Anyway, my scores are pretty low. I have a $201 secured cc with CapOne, a $500 sec card with Wells, and just got approved for a $500 unsecured with CapOne. I was denied a Barclay, Matrix, and Walmart card. If I don't get approved for NFCU, I won't be applying for anything else! 

I was just wondering what your experiences are with NFCU credit cards. I applied over the phone, and he told me to call back in about 24 hours, or that I may receive a text message with the results. I logged into my account online, but don't see anywhere to check the status. Thanks for your input!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Credit Cards

@jdirilo wrote:

I just opened an account with NFCU a week or two ago(checking and savings) and I applied for a credit card(the nrewards visa). I have seen a lot of people on the forums get approved for them, so I figured why not. My score on myfico was in the high 500's(I think around 580 or 590) but on the actual TU website, they say it is 613. Anyway, my scores are pretty low. I have a $201 secured cc with CapOne, a $500 sec card with Wells, and just got approved for a $500 unsecured with CapOne. I was denied a Barclay, Matrix, and Walmart card. If I don't get approved for NFCU, I won't be applying for anything else! 

I was just wondering what your experiences are with NFCU credit cards. I applied over the phone, and he told me to call back in about 24 hours, or that I may receive a text message with the results. I logged into my account online, but don't see anywhere to check the status. Thanks for your input!

It's hard to say with Navy. Last year, they gave me $2k with FICO in the high 600s when others got much higher CLs with lower scores than mine. All they would tell me is they use algorithims. You may need to start w/ a secured card with Navy. Or wait a year or so until your score has improved and re-apply. They might approve you for a low CL, but in the high 500s, I would doubt it. But then again, as I said, it's really hard to predict with them.

Your score is pretty low. Do you have any negatives on your CR? If so, you might want to work on those and then re-apply when your credit has improved. Otherwise, it may just be a waiting game, and in 6 to 12 mos., you should see a good improvement in your FICO.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

@jdirilo wrote:

It's hard to say with Navy. Last year, they gave me $2k with FICO in the high 600s when others got much higher CLs with lower scores than mine. All they would tell me is they use algorithims. You may need to start w/ a secured card with Navy. Or wait a year or so until your score has improved and re-apply. They might approve you for a low CL, but in the high 500s, I would doubt it. But then again, as I said, it's really hard to predict with them.

Your score is pretty low. Do you have any negatives on your CR? If so, you might want to work on those and then re-apply when your credit has improved. Otherwise, it may just be a waiting game, and in 6 to 12 mos., you should see a good improvement in your FICO.

All I can say is Good Luck! 

You may want to go ahead and use the secured message center to send in your pay stubs and w-2s.  This may help them determine your approval status.

best of luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 13
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

When you log into your account at the top left under Account Services click the "More" option. A new screen appears and under the Consumer and Mortgage Loans section there is the option to "Check the status of a pending loan application". Click that. Any apps that are currently out there should be available to view as far as the progress meaning pending, more information needed, denied, approved etc. I started first with a $500 limit NRewards card and about 11 months later was able to get approved for an unsecured NRewards with a $4k limit. YMMV but for the secured, I had a 575 EQ Fico and just before I was approved for the unsecured, it had jumped to roughly 628 or so. If you do not get approved for an unsecured, get the secured card and by month 11 to 13 they would more than likely unsecure it and refund your deposit.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your advice! My credit report is mostly student loans($20,000) but it shows as current or deferred, because I am still in school. I was thinking about making payments on them just to help my credit. I had about 3 medical collections, one is paid in full but still showing with a $0 balance. I have an RC Willey account showing with a $300 limit, but I closed that account years ago(they actually closed it). But it shows current. I had a BK Ch7 discharged in 2009, and three judgements that were included in it. I just found out that I can have those deleted because they were included in the BK, so I had one removed already, and waiting for the other two to be deleted. My unsecured CC for $500 and my secured cc for $500 are not yet reporting, as I just barely got them this past month and haven't made payments on them yet. That's pretty much it though. 

Message 5 of 13
angieb7
Established Member

Okay! So I have been working on cleaning up my credit over a year now and trying to increase my credit score with hopes of buying a house in the near future. I have been a member of NFCU since 2007 and my credit was way horrible. In a year, my scores increased to EQ640 TU597 and don't know EXP. In 2010 I opened a 500.00 secured credit card with NFCU and closed it a year later in good standing. I didn't think could get approved for an unsecured card through NFCU. After reading the success on this forum I said "WTH" I'll give it a try. Well I applied Friday night 8/31 and NFCU called me on Sunday to verify my identity since I have a fraud alert on my credit files. Once they cleared everything they said I would have a decision in 24 hours. Well they were true to their word. I was approved for a 5000.00 credit limit (visa cash rewards). I am so excited never, ever had a limit that big (almost scared me)LOL! They only pulled EQ. I have one question, I have read on this forum that you can apply for a MasterCard and LOC at the same time with NFCU. Should I wait or do it right away?
Message 6 of 13
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@angieb7 wrote:
Okay! So I have been working on cleaning up my credit over a year now and trying to increase my credit score with hopes of buying a house in the near future. I have been a member of NFCU since 2007 and my credit was way horrible. In a year, my scores increased to EQ640 TU597 and don't know EXP. In 2010 I opened a 500.00 secured credit card with NFCU and closed it a year later in good standing. I didn't think could get approved for an unsecured card through NFCU. After reading the success on this forum I said "WTH" I'll give it a try. Well I applied Friday night 8/31 and NFCU called me on Sunday to verify my identity since I have a fraud alert on my credit files. Once they cleared everything they said I would have a decision in 24 hours. Well they were true to their word. I was approved for a 5000.00 credit limit (visa cash rewards). I am so excited never, ever had a limit that big (almost scared me)LOL! They only pulled EQ. I have one question, I have read on this forum that you can apply for a MasterCard and LOC at the same time with NFCU. Should I wait or do it right away?

Oh wow Angieb7 that's an awesome limit. I feel your joy as I was excited that they offered me the limit they did when I app'd for an unsecured NRewards card. I wasn't brave enough to try for any additional products but please do keep us posted on the outcome if you do decide to app for anying else with them.

Message 7 of 13
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Well I got a text this morning that said my cc application was approved. I called to see how much, and she said it was for $500 with a 14.74% interest(plus prime or something?) Which I guess is better than my other cc with cap one that I believe is like 22%. I am not sure though. But hey, that's good news! Definitely will help my credit as long as I am keeping up with the payments. Do you know if they do CLI after a certain period of time, or do I have to request it? 

Message 8 of 13
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@jdirilo wrote:

Well I got a text this morning that said my cc application was approved. I called to see how much, and she said it was for $500 with a 14.74% interest(plus prime or something?) Which I guess is better than my other cc with cap one that I believe is like 22%. I am not sure though. But hey, that's good news! Definitely will help my credit as long as I am keeping up with the payments. Do you know if they do CLI after a certain period of time, or do I have to request it? 

My mom sees a credit limit increase from NFCU every year without requesting it. Up to $14.5k limit now from a $4.5k limit a couple years ago. She's just not into hitting the luv button. Me on the other hand??? I'll request it if I think it's been long enough. YMMV but NFCU takes care of their members.

Message 9 of 13
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, what does YMMV mean? I am new to this whole credit repair thing. I had never even heard of NFCU until I found these forums. I learn something new everyday from everyone here. I love being educated about something so crucial. I hope to buy a house in a year or so, and this is exactly what I needed. I now have 2 cc unsecured, and 2 cc secured. Never in my life have I even had ONE! I am 26 and I have 3 kids to support, so having good credit is very important to me. I made mistakes in the past and am willing to do whatever it takes to be a responsible adult and create a better future for my family. Thanks everyone for your help!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.