Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Denial

I became a member of NFCU because I heard they were a great place for a second chance after bankruptcy. Lucky for me my step father is a member there from when he was in the Army and his account was open and in good standings.

I filed chapter 13 in 2005 with my x-wife (married at the time) and in 2008 was biforcated and discharged from that case. Scores are around 600 , have 2 AU Amex cards with 20k limits on them, shows open since 2004, never 1 late payment. Other than that no new credit since 2005 filing, , credit reports are as clean as a whistle.

I decided to apply for the smallest amount they had for a Cash Rewards Visa.

A few days after application, I get a letter asking for my ID/SSN Card/Bill with current addy and 2 pay check stubs. I thought this is a good sign , I figured the ID/SSN and address because of the fraud alert on file but the paychecks for income verification.

Well a few days later I call back and it was denied.

Then after talking to the credit card rep , we decided maybe the Secured card would be a good way to get my foot in the door. So I transfered 500 over to them via wire and applied for it.

My question is this:

I have a 2008 BK filing on my report by error, my x-wife is prose and made a mistake listing me on a few of the petition papers, this was resolved in court and I was vacated from her case and I have the order signed by the judge and I have sent it into the CBR but haven't heard back.

I'm thiking that is likely the reason why they declined the application is because of a recent chapter 13 filed july 2008. I tried to explain durring the application period that it wasn't mine and I have the documentation they would need if they just called and told me where to fax it to.

Also , I'm remarried and my wife has perfect credit and has no problem being joint with me on there so we can restart building up my credit again.

What do you guys think I should do? Forget the unsecured card regardless of the wrong bk showing up and my wife wanting to get it with me and go with the secured card?

or ????

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Denial

I have a few recommendations for you:

1) Mail a copy of the judgement along with a written dispute for each account to the CRA's.  Send them this by certified mail (the kind that they dont have to sign but you get confirmation from USPS that they recevied). Once this is done, they have 30 days to verify information or delete.  If after 30 days and no response, send them a copy of the original letter and disputes along with a copy of the verification of receipt from USPS.  After receiving that, they must delete from credit reports.  If possible, also call and fax them this information for faster results.

2) Attempt to get the creditors to remove these accounts/judgements in the meantime by faxing them the documentation described above.

3)Keep the secured card up  and going and let it report the good account history

4) After doing 1 & 2, if done and the filing is removed, call NFCU and ask to un-secure the card.  If they wont do it till 6mo or 1 yr, apply for nRewards, its the easiest card to get and they review each request individually, regardless of decisions (they dont take into account previous denials - per their LO a few months back). 

IF everything is removed, there is no reason you should not be approved. Also, I would suggest you call back, explain the situation and have the rep ask the loan officer if she will accept a court order showing the lack of responsibility for the accounts listed on your report belonging to your ex. - This might be the easiest option if they will accept this.

If you need any other help, please feel free to ask.  I just recently went through this exact situation with my mother as my father filed for BK recently and she was listed on multiple accounts even though she was divorced for over 6 years.  I was able to get them removed by doing steps 1 & 2 within 2 months.

Good Luck! 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

IF everything is removed, there is no reason you should not be approved. Also, I would suggest you call back, explain the situation and have the rep ask the loan officer if she will accept a court order showing the lack of responsibility for the accounts listed on your report belonging to your ex. - This might be the easiest option if they will accept this.

Good Luck! 

I think the customer service people are a little bone headed, other easy requests seemed to be very very hard.

What number do you figure would get me in touch with an actual loan officer?

There are no branches in Utah, however I wonder if I call the 800 number that I can ask for an actual loan officer?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling them helped zero. CSR said " fix it throught the cbr, we dont want any paper from you regardless of what it is" she claimed her manager said the same thing lol
Message 4 of 5
Lyythine
Established Contributor

I didnt assume that they would - they can be very by-the-books sometimes.  Then I would suggest taking the other steps I recommended and hoping that works out - it should!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.